[OD&D] [OOC] Paths of Legend: To Rule in Hell

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I'm not really sure of the mechanics yet (since I am pretty unfamiliar with OD&D and BECMI), but here's a general idea:

Baernoth the Serpent, neutral elven magic-user. Focusing on enchantment/illusion to become more powerful. His only concern is power, everything else is either a tool to be used or an obstacle to remove. Seemingly cheerful and charismatic, Baernoth is actually coldly calculating and manipulative. His favourite tactic is to befriend a creature and tempt it into actions they did not want to take, such as killing their allies.
His history is either one of endless cruelty and loss (whole family / clan killed by so-called nice guys) or something along the lines of "my father and my grandfather fought for the Mother Of Monsters, and so am I".
STR 8
DEX 13
CON 11
INT 15
WIS 10
CHA 12

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
"The Serpent" is a key figure in this world's mythology so, perhaps, change your character's name to Baernoth, Disciple of the Serpent, or something similar?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
[sblock=Narasha right now]She-Wolf of Trandar
Once known as The Shining Gale
20140825dev_by_len_yan-d7wludf.jpg

Art by Len-Yan
[/sblock]Motivations:
  • Resentful of her injuries
  • Bitter about how she was pushed aside by Trandar leadership after she was injured
  • Angry at those who just want to move on, to forget that the war ever happened
  • Envious of the (undeserved) good health/good luck of others

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Kiraya TiDrekan's Houseruled OD&D

Character Creation Step One: Ability Scores

Players may choose to roll 3d6 in order - Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma OR roll 4d6, drop the lowest and assign as desired.

Ability scores bonuses are as per BECMI

2-3 = -3 penalty
4-5 = -2 penalty
6-8 = -1 penalty
9-12 = no adustment
13-15 = +1 bonus
16-17 = +2 bonus
18 = +3 bonus

Strength: Bonus or penalty applies to melee attacks and damage rolls, thrown weapon damage rolls, and to rolls made to force open doors and other acts of brute strength. Clerics may exchange 3 points of Strength for 1 point of Wisdom after rolling ability scores. Strength is the Prime Requisite for Fighters.

Intelligence: Bonus or penalty applies to number of languages known (Intelligence penalty means the character has trouble reading, writing, and even speaking common or their racial language). Fighters and Clerics may exchange 2 points of Intelligence for 1 point of Strength or Wisdom, respectively. Intelligence is the Prime Requisite for Magic-Users.

Wisdom: Bonus or penalty applies to saving throws vs. spells. Fighters may exchange 3 points of Wisdom for 1 point of Strength. Magic-Users may exchange 2 points of Wisdom for 1 point of Intelligence. Wisdom is the Prime Requisite for Clerics.

Dexterity: Bonus or penalty applies to Missile attacks and thrown attacks, initiative rolls, and Armor Class. Dexterity is the Prime Requisite of for Thieves.

Constitution: Bonus or penalty applies to number of Hit Points per Hit Die.

Charisma: Bonus or penalty applies to the morale of henchman and followers as well as initial reaction rolls of NPCs (i.e. "first impression"). Charisma determines the maximum number of henchman (but not other followers) a character can lead.

Maximum # of Henchmen by Charisma Score

2-3 = 1
4-5 = 2
6-8 = 3
9-12 = 4
13-15 = 5
16-17 = 6
18 = 7

Prime Requisites affect the amount of experience points a character earns as follows.

2-3 = -20%
4-5 = -10%
6-8 = -5%
9-12 = no adjustment
13-15 = +5%
16-18 = +10%

Character Creation Step Two: Race

There are four racial options - Human, Dwarf, elf, and Halfling. A brief summary of their racial traits follows.

Humans - Unlimited advancement in all classes, unlimited choice of bonus languages.

Dwarf - May advance up to 6th level as a Fighter or Thief, dwarves with 17 Strength may advance to 7th level as a fighter, dwarves with 18 Strength may advance up to 8th level as a fighter; add Constitution bonus to saving throws vs all magical attacks (magic wands, rods, staves, spells); Infravision up to 60'; able to detect slanting passages, stonework traps, shifting walls, and new construction in underground areas on a roll of 1 or 2 on 1d6; speak Common and Dwarven (dwarves with Intelligence of 8 or lower cannot speak Common) and may choose Gnome, Kobold, and Goblin as bonus languages.

Elf - May advance up to 8th level as a Magic-User and 4th level as a Fighter (experience may be divided as player wishes - Prime Requisite bonuses are added after XP is divided) or up to 8th level as a Thief, elves with 17 Strength may advance to 5th level as a fighter, elves with 18 Strength may advance to 6th level as a fighter, elves with 18 Intelligence may advance up to 9th level as a magic-user; Infravision up to 60'; able to detect secret and hidden doors (and other difficult to see things at DM's discretion) on a roll of 1 or 2 on 1d6; speak Common and Elven (elves with Intelligence of 8 or lower cannot speak Common) and may choose Orc, Hobgoblin, and Gnoll as bonus languages.

Halfling - May advance up to 8th level as a Thief and 4th level as a Fighter (experience may be divided as player wishes - Prime Requisite bonuses are added after XP is divided); add Constitution bonus saving throws vs all agical attacks (magic wands, rods, staves, spells); +1 to hit with missile and thrown weapons; speak Common and Halfling (halflings with Intelligence of 8 or lower cannot speak Common), unlimited bonus languages; can only use small weapons.

Half-Elf - May advance up to 6th level as a Fighter and 6th level as a Magic-User (17 or 18 in Strength or Intelligence allows advancement to 7th and 8th level in respective classes); Half-elves with Wisdom at least 13 may also advance up to 4th level as a Cleric; may advance up to 8th level as a thief; detection and languages as per elves;

Character Creation Step Three: Class

Fighter - May use all weapons, armors, shields; may use special abilities of weapons that have them (2x damage with lance while performing a mounted charge, x2 damage while setting a spear vs. a charge, etc); may build a stronghold and rule a domain starting at 9th level. 8 HP at first level and 1d8 per additional level. Lawful fighters with Wisdom 13 or higher may become Paladins at 9th level as per Rules Cyclopedia. Chaotic fighters with Wisdom 13 or higher may become Avengers at 9th level as per Rules Cyclopedia. Neutral fighters, as well Lawful and Chaotic fighters who cannot (or choose not to) become Paladins or Avengers may become Knights at 9th level as per Rules Cyclopedia.

Cleric - May use all armor and shields; may use blunt weapons only; able to cast Cleric spells (per Rules Cyclopedia table); able to Turn Undead (per Rules Cyclopedia table); may build a stronghold and attract faithful followers starting at 9th level. 6 HP at first level and 1d6 HP per additional level. Neutral clerics who renounce their religious affiliation and swear loyalty to the druidic order may become druids as per Rules Cyclopedia with the following exceptions - druids may take the form of any normal or giant animal that has 1/3 the druid's level or lower in hit dice; druids lose the ability to turn undead.

Magic-User - May only use daggers and staffs; may not use any armor or shields; able to cast Magic-User spells (per Rules Cyclopedia table); able to craft magic items. 4 HP at first level and 1d4 HP per additional level.

Thief - May use leather armor, may not use shields, may use one-handed melee weapons and all missile weapons; uses Thief Abilities and Backstab as per Rules Cyclopedia. 4 HP at first level and 1d4 per additional level. Chaotic thieves may become Assassins at 9th leve by joining an assassins' guild and passing certain testsl. Assassins add Disguise to their list of Thief Abilities, with a starting percentage of 50% (at 9th level) and adding 2% per level there-after. Assassins may also use poison. Assassins, when performing a Backstab or taking a victim by surprise in a non-comba situation, have a chance to slay an opponent outright; the chance is 50% minus 5% per hit die or level difference between the assassin and the target if the target is higher level, plus 5% per hit die or level difference between the assassin and the target if the target is lower level.

Monk/Mystic - Only humans may be this class; ask DM for details.

Character Creation Step Four: Equipment

Costs and statistics as per Rules Cyclopedia. Roll 3d6x10 for starting gold.

Character Creation Step Five: Number Crunching

To hit tables, armor class, saving throws, encumbrance, and experience tables all as per Rules Cyclopedia. Elven fighter/magic-users and halfling fighter/thieves use the best save number and to hit numbers of their respective classes. Hit points per each class level are halved (rounded up) as is Constitution bonus to HP (do not round, note .5s on character sheet but ignore during play). Choose spells as per Rules Cyclopedia. Initial spells in Magic-User spellbook are Read Magic and one of choice (alternately, roll 1d12, skipping Read Magic).

Character Creation Step Six: Other Details

Choose alignment - Lawful, Neutral, Chaotic.

Choose a name.

Determine other personal details and background as desired/needed.

Other House Rules

Characters may attempt ability checks (roll 1d20 and score at or under ability score) to perform feats and tasks related to that score. For example, a character may attempt to recall some bit of relevant history by rolling Intelligence.

Level Titles are culturally based and will be provided during the course of play.

Psionics rules are not used.

Additional notes and changes may be added as needed.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok Human Monk/Mystic is my choice. I've been in love with monks these past few weeks, and if mystic means psychic, I'm doubly in. So, what's that about?

I'm thinking someone who has a need for revenge, Punisher style. He lived well, perhaps had a family, and had all that taken from him. Everything good in his life died, and there is only a black void that is left. He seeks to destroy everyone whom he believes deserves it, and things like pity and mercy died along with whoever it was he loved.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Ok Human Monk/Mystic is my choice. I've been in love with monks these past few weeks, and if mystic means psychic, I'm doubly in. So, what's that about?

Mystics are another name for Monk. I am not using any psionics rule in this campaign.

Monks are a technically a subclass of Cleric but don't share any of the Cleric's abilities. A prospective Monk must have Wisdom 15, Strength 12, and Dexterity 15.

They may not use armor or shields, but may use any weapons. 6 HP at first level and 1d6 HP per level there-after. 1st level Monks may deal 1d4 points of damage (plus Strength bonus) with an unarmed strike and have an unarmored AC of 9 (plus Dexterity adjustment). A target of a Monk's unarmed attack must make a saving throw vs. Death Ray or be stunned (unable to take actions) for 1d6 rounds. Monks have the abilities of Find Traps, Remove Traps, Climb Walls, Hide in Shadows, and Move Silently as if they were a Thief of the same level. Monks use Cleric experience table, to hit tables, and saving throws. Monk advancement stops at level 16.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
[sblock=Narasha stats so far]Level 1 cleric (Acolyte)
XP 0/1500
Alignment: Lawful
Languages: Common, Lawful.

Str 9
Dex 8 -1 Missiles, AC and ini
Con 11
Int 10 Read and write Common
Wis 11
Cha 9 Four retainers at loyalty 7

AC 3 (Plate + shield - 1 Dex)
HP 6
Saving Throws (DR/P 11, Wnd Poly Prl 12, Ston 14, Brth 16, S&S 15)
Turn 2d6 Undead: 2d6 (Sklt 7, Zmb 9, Ghl 11, Wght -, Wrth -)

THAC0 20 (21 missiles)
Move: 30/90 (400cn<x<800cn)

Equipment: 140 gp total
Code:
Plate mail (60) 500cn
Wolf-fur cloak (1, 15cn if packed)
War hammer, Also used as a cane (5) 1d6, 50cn
Bollocks dagger (3) 1d4, 10cn
Red belt-pouch (0.5) 2cn, 50cn capacity
   6 gp
   Sharpening Stone (1) 5cn

Page (AC 6 (Leather + shield))
   Leather armor (20) 200cn
   Short cloak (0.5)
   Small dagger at waist (3) 1d4, 10cn 
   Narasha's Shield (10) 100cn "Shield bearer"
   Leather sling (2) 20cn
       30/30 sling stones (1) 1d4, 6cn, 40/80/160
   Cloth backpack (5) 20cn, 400cn capacity
      Bandages plus pins and a bottle of alcohol
      Small box with brushes and oils for maintenance
      Steel Mirror and toiletries (5) 5cn
      Lantern (10) 30cn + 2 Flasks of oil (2) 10cn
      Cast iron pot and rotisserie spit
      Tinder box (3) 5cn
      Two rolled blankets on top of pack
59.5 gp left to spend[/sblock]Have you given some thought to the page idea, Kiraya?

What's our starting situation going to be like (are we expected to survive on our own for a while (rations, living off the land), or are we part of an expedition with a supply train)?

Edit: She's turning out a lot more martial and less 'witchy' than I first envisionned, so I'm probably going to cut the "of the Green" portion of her name for now. See where it goes.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Do you want to start with the page NPC or hire them during play? I'd rather they be a full NPC (maybe a fighter to act as Narasha's bodyguard) and have them count against your max number of henchmen.

Remove ads