• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D - What do I need and where do I get it?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Even though I am starting up a 1E campaign next weak, I am teribly intterested in at least reading (and hopefully cajoling my players into trying) Original D&D. What books and/or supplements do i need for it to be complete? Other than scouring ebay, is there a way to get them? Were there reprint books or are they available as PDFs?

Also, I have a copy of B2 (it is old and worn and stuff). Is that an OD&D module or a B/X module?

The OD&D rules are available on PDF. (So are the Supplements). I think Paizo has some, too.

Check out the original three little books, and also the Greyhawk supplement. The other supplements are interesting, too, but Greyhawk seems to be the one people draw on, the most. My site (linked in my sig) has some useful links, too (including a link to a the free Blackmoor supplement that Dave Arneson distributes).

Re: B2. It depends on the printing you have, but I believe it targets Holmes basic in early printings, and B/X in later printings. See the Acaeum for details.

Last edited:

Rothe

First Post
Every OD&D campaign I played in used Greyhawk, Blackmoor (usually not the hit location rules but sometimes) and Eldritch Wizardry, as soon as they came out. No one used everything from every book, butthat was the way of OD&D, that and the house rules.

Arneson's site has a free copy of Blackmoor. Greyhawk and Eldritch Wizardy can be had on e-bay for about $5-$10 each if you are patient. Adventurewise you are probably looking at Judges Guild product, not many TSR adventures for OD&D.

B2 is B/X.

Korgoth

First Post
As an aside, I'm glad that I own a copy of Supplement I: Greyhawk (and I'd like to own one in better shape), I myself don't plan on using it. Though I might dip into it at various points for NPC use.

I use a little bit from the supplements (I allow thieves, and I use Greyhawk HD, which is mostly because Holmes uses them, and I started with Holmes as a basis), but not that much. (For example, I don't use the Greyhawk ability modifiers, variable weapon damage, weapon vs. AC, et cetera.)

FWIW, OD&D + Supplements is very similar to AD&D (1E), so if you're planning on using a lot of the Greyhawk material (in particular), you might find AD&D (perhaps with a few house rules) gets you where you want to be.

My husband owns and is getting ready to sell a large store of 1st edition D&D material, most of it hardcover. If you're interested in purchasing what we have, please drop a line to me at wlburford at hotmail dot com.

The items we own are in very good shape and I believe my husband intends to let the books go cheaply.

T. Foster

First Post
The OD&D boxed set and all of the supplements are available on pdf from RPGNow. The boxed set alone is all you really need, but you'll probably want Chainmail and Supplement I: Greyhawk as well -- the former for the complete combat rules (even if you decide not to use them), the latter for many "familiar" rules, classes, spells, monsters, and items that are missing from the boxed set (even if you decide not to use them). The rules will tell you that you also need a copy of Avalon Hill's Outdoor Survival game, but they're lying.

I'd consider "Best of The Dragon vol. I" (collecting articles from The Strategic Review and issues 1-14 of The Dragon) almost a must-have; I use it more than any of the later D&D Supplements. I'd also strongly recommend Judges Guild's Ready Ref Sheets (available on pdf) and First Fantasy Campaign (not available on pdf AFAIK) and a copy of the Holmes-edit D&D Basic Rulebook (available on pdf), which isn't technically OD&D, but is mostly compatible, shares the same spirit, and is much easier to understand (and use to introduce new players) than the boxed set.

B2 was written for the aforementioned Holmes edition rather than OD&D-proper, but is about 95% compatible with OD&D (assuming you're using Supplement I) so there shouldn't be much/any problem using them together. The same goes for B1. Other than those two, you're going to have to look to third-party publishers for adventures -- the best coming from Judges Guild (Tegel Manor, Caverns of Thracia, etc.).

For active fan-discussion of OD&D, check out The Knights & Knaves Alehouse and Original D&D Discussion, and also be sure to check out the informative and thought-provoking OD&D blogs by Delta and Philotomy Jurament.

Melan

Explorer
Ready Ref Sheets is a must, both for organised core material and good edditions. Greyhawk is pretty good, although I wouldn't use 6th+ level spells or Paladins... only the Thief and the monsters/treasure. Blackmoor is mostly about the frog monsters and a good high-level adventure. Eldritch Wizardry and Gods, Demi-gods and Heroes are good if you want a game closer to AD&D, or a stronger sword&sorcery flavour.

Unlike T. Foster, I don't suggest Chainmail unless you want details or an interesting read... just use the alternative combat system like everyone else. :D For adventures, you can't beat Tegel Manor and Caverns of Thracia, but if you want something totally off the wall, buy a copy of The Dungeoneer's Compendium. This cool collection of six fanzine issues republished by Judges Guild gives you some of the best OD&D scenarios you can find - including the incomparable unsung classic, Realm of the Slime God. It can usually be bought really cheapl from Noble Knight Games or eBay... like $5 to $10 cheap. In shrinkwrap.

Last edited:

Remove ads