Of cheese sammiches

Toasted, melted, grilled, or plain? What type of cheese, what type of bread? Any additions?

Of late I've been eating colby-jack in the pocket of a pita, toasted until just melted.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't really understand the American terminology for cheese sandwich styles (though more so than I understand their egg terminology - "easy like Sunday morning" or something? Goodness knows!)

However, assuming the above panoply includes the Welsh Rarebit (open topped toast with melted cheese on top, Worcestershire sauce), I'm quite fond of that. Quick and easy to make.

colby-jack in the pocket of a pita

I like a scrumpy-jump hopping in the foot of wriggle-munch. Talk English, man! :D

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Toasted, melted, grilled, or plain?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

What type of cheese

Brie, Blue, Monterey jack, cheddar, American, Swiss, Cotswold, havarti, provelone, feta , Mozzerella, muenster, etc.

(I have accepted cheeses as my personal savor.)

what type of bread?

White, wheat, sourdough, rosemary & olive oil, rye, pumpernickel, pretzel, beer bread, bagels, pita, roasted garlic, onion rolls, French, biscuits, naan, etc.

Any additions?

Depends on the sandwich. I often add herbs like dill, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley. Occasionally, something like olive oil, BBQ sauce, mustard or steak sauce will pop up.

Veggies like sun-dried tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, or onions (raw or grilled) are solid options.

Tabouli works well for some combos.

There's a place near me whose BLT is toasted with brie[/I, lettuce and tomato. No bacon.

Last edited:

However, assuming the above panoply includes the Welsh Rarebit (open topped toast with melted cheese on top, Worcestershire sauce), I'm quite fond of that. Quick and easy to make.

Open-faced sandwiches are a bit rare here, too. Never had an open-faced melteed cheese one. How do you avoid burning your mouth?

Most common in the US, I think, is two bread slices, buttered, cheese in the middle (or varying varieties).

Melted: Melted cheese, but not toasted bread.
Toasted: Toasted bread, with melted or toasted cheese between.
Grilled: properly, done on a flat griddle or grill, with the outside of the bread buttered to brown the bread with cheese melted between. But "grilled cheese" can describe the whole variety.
Plain: unmelted cheese. Yawn.

I like a scrumpy-jump hopping in the foot of wriggle-munch. Talk English, man! :D

I think my American was perfectly comprehensible. You can't even hear my lower Alabama accent online.

Colby-jack is a combination of colby cheese (yellow cheddar-ish) and monterey jack (a white cheese).

You do know pita, right? A flatbread? Pocketed, unlike naan?

Ryujin

Legend
Two slices of whole wheat bread, buttered inside and out. Mozzarella cheese, sliced maybe 2mm thick. A single thin slice of tomato inside, with black pepper. Toasted on both sides in an oven.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Open-faced sandwiches are a bit rare here, too. Never had an open-faced melteed cheese one. How do you avoid burning your mouth?

We have an elaborate cultural system for eating hot foods based on years of scientific investigation. We wait a minute or two. Lots of our food is hot, so we learned centuries ago how to avoid burning our mouths.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Colby-jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses.

Do you not have pita bread over there? It isn't American - it's a Greek and Middle Eastern bread.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Colby-jack is a mix of Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses.

Do you not have pita bread over there? It isn't American - it's a Greek and Middle Eastern bread.

I've never heard of either cheese, let alone the advanced term for the combination of the two, but then you probably don't have a lot of Red Leicester and stuff.

We do, of course, have pita bread; we just don't phrase it like that. The comment was on the language usage, not the existence of bread and cheese! :)

Remove ads