Off to War [IC]

Axel

First Post
Rodric of Tor

Rodric's eyebrows rose as he listened to the ongoing discussion. I don't think they have the stomach to take the next step. This is all about gathering courage...

"My pardon, gents. It appears I do not know all the issues at stake. Could you provide details, so I might offer some form of useful counsel?"

Sugar_Silk

First Post
Recalling her last meeting with Malaroc, and a drawn out argument the myriad members had shared via painful mental link, Darling stepped back from the table. Leaning back against the wall, she crossed her arms and prepared herself to witness untold hours of bickering.

As the others discussed strategies, she used the time to study her would-be allies. She found herself staring at the Elves. Up to now, she'd only seen living elves at distance, graceful blurs on a battlefield. Here they stood still, and even spoke! Her curious eyes noted the subtle embellishments of their clothes. She listened intently to their accents and her mind drifted, wondering how enthralling a poem or a song might sound spilling from them in their native tongue.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lora flushed when Darling made her comment. She, above all else, did not want to seem like Vance's pet. Yet it was very hard to resist this man. He was so used to getting his way and so firm in his belief of how things were to happen properly that unless Lora decided to place her knee in his groin he would just let her flap her lip and do as he pleased.

That both infuriated her and somehow made her like Vance even more. Which was confusing her. Which in turn made her angry at herself and at Vance, which in turn made her blush even more, which meant Darling at least would see her distress which made Lora all but tremble with rage.

And it wasn't even the day of her moon blood. Such behaviour was so unbefitting of a Wizard and a trained Witch that Lora wanted to slap herself out of it.

"I'm sure Vance would give me a slap if I asked him, though I can bet a cartload of gold he would not aim at my face."
she thought for a moment. Then she remembered she hated men, and that Vance was one. A well built, well mannered, stubborn one, but a man still.

Stupid girlish thoughts had to be put to the side. As well as some... less than subtle pieces of information Lora possessed.

"Martoumum, glad to see your head is not yet used to decorate a pike in front of Dellex's tent." the girl remarked dryly.

"Jareth, Trinham - you two I know and can trust, with combat if not with thinking. The pretty one, Darling was it? She fought on our side and seems confident in her charms. Mal and Ern I know only barely. I suggest we all are properly introduced to one another, and consider this keep a safe haven, one we will not have the luxury of possessing for long."

Lora paused, clasped her hands, and refused to consider Darling's gaze on her fancy new dress and jewels. She would remove them, but that would just insult Vance. Or make him think she wanted even fancier ones. More likely the latter. The man was as thick as porridge when the matter did not concern war, horses or, she supposed - physical activites.

"We need to put together our talents and resources so that we may properly plan the best course of action. Using decoys is a fine thing to trick idiot guards who reek of cheap wine and sweat. Remember, Dellex is a Wizard, a powerful one. He is no moron. He has a personal guard at his disposal, and vast resources. With simple teleportation and Divination spells he can both find out or ploy and snag us all like trout from a bucket. You all seem to forget just how easy it is for such a man to break the conventional laws of war, secrecy and logistics. Our best chance and probably the only reason we have not been all executed for treason, is because he deems us too far beneath him to personally delve into the matter. That may yet be his downfall, and we must keep his opinion of us and our efforts such as long as we possibly can."

[sblock]OK fill me in, where did we get those two elves from? FYI Lora is a petite, slender girl with shiny black hair tied in an ever persistent ponytail. She is pale, has azure blue eyes and pouting, rose-coloured lips. And she is usually sulking. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Sugar_Silk

First Post
Darling was pulled from her elven day-dreams by the unexpected voice. The young girl speaking had been so finely dressed and so easily flustered, it hadn't come to mind that she might act so assertively in this room full of battle-hardened soldiers. Not only did this petite princess talk of tactics and politics, but even took verbal jabs at the men! Darling's eyes danced with silent amusement. As she listened, she reminded herself not to under-estimate any of the odd characters sharing air in this room.

Dragonwriter

First Post
"Ah, Lora. So good to see some time in civilization hasn't dulled your barbed tongue. Though at least it seems to have taught you how to deliver backhanded compliments," Jareth says with no small degree of sarcasm.

"As for what details I can provide, I'm afraid they are somewhat scanty. And know, Rodric, that the only reason I am talking to you on this matter is that Martomum has vouched for you. No offense, but it's the truth of things. Suffice to say, the ambassador needs to reach the High King with his information. Trinham and I are serving as his bodyguards, Mal and Ern as assistants, and the other elf as his personal servant. While discussing how best to reach Siere, the others insisted on rejoining the army, as it would hopefully provide a buffer against some of those who would try to stop the ambassador.

"Now, Dellex knows each of our places with the ambassador. If we disappear, but the 'ambassador' remains here, it will look wrong to him and any guards he has informed and sent to check on us. You might avoid such issues with illusion magic, but those will not last long in most cases. And there is no way Trinham and I can stay behind if some of you leave with the ambassador. I have given my word to protect him in his mission, and I will see it through. Trinham is also quite valuable in battle, should we face attack.

"And yes, if that damned wizard turns his hands to directly interfering with us with his magic, we're undone. But he hasn't seemed to do such a thing so far, so stop harping on it. Focus that vaunted wizardly intellect on things that are actually helpful."

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham barely suppresses a grin as he hears Jareth's reply to Lora. Instead he keeps his eyes on the floor.

Deciding that its time he joined in the conversation, preferably without getting involved in the byplay between Lora and Jareth, he says "It strikes me that we are not powerful enough to stop Dellex if he tries to harm us. But I think he has a problem in that he doesn't want do anything overt. So, as long as we remain with the army he is limited in what he can do. But if he catches us alone in the middle of nowhere, he is free to use all of his power.

On the other hand, Dellex isn't the only group after us and staying with the army make us easily found. There again, as Lora as already pointed out, Divination magic makes it easy to find us wherever we are."
Trinham pauses for thought and continues "I am not a strategist but I think I have just convinced myself that it would be best if the ambassador remains with the army. Anyone want to point out the flaws in my thinking."

Trinham knows that the last bit will open the door for a sarcastic response from Lora but this no longer bothers him.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Yur tinking ain't wrong boy. But ye don't know that wizard's motives. Avin' the elf were he can a reach out an'a grab 'em is no guid." Martomum says resting his feet up on a stool.

"Ye stay wit dae army longs enough and 'e will finds a way tae get what 'e wants," he looks pointedly at Jareth. "An 'e as been wanting ye gone since dae first time ye stepped foot abouts 'ere."

The elven ambassador looks to Jareth with kindly eyes knowing it must have something to do with his family, with his father. "Maybe we shouldn't 'put all or arrows in one quiver' as it were." the elf says looking to Mal, Aver and the others who ventured into the elven forest. "I'm not sure I trust Lord Dellex's motives either. As much as I hate to agree with the dwarf, maybe a little misdirections won't go amiss."

"What if we sent Aver to the army to play me. Only Dellex would know him to be false. A few days of keeping him from finding out would give us time to get ahead. And should he come after us, instead of allowing us to continue..." he adds letting it hang in the air.

Sugar_Silk

First Post
Darling perked up at Sil's suggestion. She flitted over beside Aver, wrapping his arm in both of hers.

"I'll keep you safe!" she exclaimed, staring excitedly up at the elf "I know the perfect place to put you! No marching, fine fragrances, a fluffy feather bed! Truly, the only way to travel."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Aver perks up from his brooding in silence. A grin crosses his lips as he gazes into Darling's eyes.

"That sounds so much better than playing the servant. I might just like being Ambassador Aver," he says with a wink to Sil.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
"Jareth has it right. We must get to Siere with as little opposition as possible. A small group, like that which we took to find the ambassador, would be more likely to succeed again where stealth from spies is needed. The closer we get to Siere, the more spies there will be, waiting to inspect any new faces in that area. They know our intentions and mean to stop us from reaching our goal."

Mal stands, looking over to Lora before turning to the ambassador. "We will do all we can to get you to Siere. I have been tasked with my next mission, which demands that I ensure the ambassador makes it to Siere. We are not to stay with the army for the spies near the capital would easily spot us and make their move. That is all I know, and fear that it may be a while longer before I will gain any other aid or warnings. That is all that I can offer, but will do what I can to protect the ambassador along with Jareth and Trinham."

Mal puts on the dragon gauntlets while speaking, as if making it known that the time for talk has neared its end. If they were to make plans, it must be quickly. "The more we talk about this, the more time it gives our enemies to plot against us. We should not allow them the luxury."

OOC - Had to remember what color text I was using, think I found it now. Sorry if it confused or irked anyone by using such a similar color to Jareth

Remove ads