• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Off Topic Forum moved?

When did the Off-Topic Discussion Forum move to a sub-forum of General?

I liked it better under the Non-RPG Specific Forums header, for ease of navigation. Now it's a more clumsy navigation to go into General RPG, then into Off Topic. I thought the whole point of seperating out the Off Topic stuff last year was to keep it seperate from General, now it's stuck back in General, but as a sub-forum. Whats the deal here? :confused:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's an attempt to make the place more homey by increasing the visibility of the OT forum. A lot of people don't scroll down that far. Hopefully it will help the place have more of a community feeling.

Morrus said:
It's an attempt to make the place more homey by increasing the visibility of the OT forum. A lot of people don't scroll down that far. Hopefully it will help the place have more of a community feeling.
Is it actually increasing the visibility by tucking it into a sub-forum? I didn't even notice that there was a sub-forum there until I began to hunt around for the OT Forum. I think that it should at least have a location on the main navigation page, thats how I get around from forum to forum, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you want to make it more visible, I would recommend sticking it between General RPG and D&D Rules on the main page. People wouldn't need to scroll down to find it, and it would still be accessable from the main page.

Creamsteak

Explorer
He has the link to off topic embedded in the description of general discussion...

My bad if this was a negative idea (I don't know if this is where Russ got it, but...)

Creamsteak said:
I don't know if this is a good or bad idea, but I was thinking that the Off-Topic Forum (merged with sci-fi, tv, books, and such), should become a Sub-Forum of GD rather than a regular forum. My logic for this is that OT deserves to be "right up front" at the head of the forums, and since so many threads are borderline OT in GD anyway... I think it could work.

If there is a way to make a "link-forum" where OT used to be, that could cover both ends of the spectrum.

Creamsteak said:
He has the link to off topic embedded in the description of general discussion...
Yes, I noticed that a little while ago. But I rarely (if ever) read the descriptions, since I generally know what Forum I'm looking for.

Creamsteak said:
If there is a way to make a "link-forum" where OT used to be, that could cover both ends of the spectrum.
This would be a great idea, if it can be done.

Sorry if I'm being cranky about this, but I get used things being a certain way, and when they change, it takes me a while to get used to them. I just think that this is going to make the OT Forum even less visited, since it's no longer a major forum.

Seonaid

Explorer
The thing that gets me about it is that now the thread that is shown most recently posted to sometimes is OT even though the forum (as a whole) is not. I'm sure I'll get used to that, though. :)

Psionicist

Explorer
Nice, I like it. Too many forums in the index and less frequent posters will likely just post everything they've got in General. Shouldn't the "Dusk Forums" be in the Hosted category though?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Creamsteak said:

My bad if this was a negative idea (I don't know if this is where Russ got it, but...)

Yup, it was all your fault! :)

I thought it was a good idea and decided to try it. I was considering the forum merge you suggested, too, but the mods and admins talked me out of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads