• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Official D&D Basic Discussion Thread

Droogie

Explorer
My nitpick for the day: quilted armor has disadvantage on stealth.
I understand the need for rules balance, but...wha?

Initial reactions (still reading races).

1. Oh that is some horse manure about how you neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed magic, magic items, clerics, wizards n'shiz, but by implication don't neeeeeeed fighters, rogues etc. Oh well, probably won't be put as crudely in later versions.

2. THEY FIXED ELVES ZMOG - The age-old "Elves have a learning disability" problem is kinda sorta gone! In that Elves mature at the same age of humans, so you can, technically, have a twenty-something Elven adventurer, it's just that other elves are going be total dicks to him and treat him like a rogue ten-year-old or something. Like that Dwarves also reach maturity at human age.

Back to reading.

Cantrips include Ray of Frost and Flamebolt.

Both spammable at will.

No metal is safe from a level 1 mage.

Fire/frost/fire/frost/fire.......smash WIN!! :p

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Limited downtime rules are in. Crafting, but at a rate of 5gp/day. And training takes 250 days. That...is not going to be easily exploitable.

Thaumaturge.

Remathilis

Legend
Things I saw.

We have a domain list for the PHB: Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, and War. I'd have liked a Death domain, but I guess that's for the DMG.

You can learn new languages and tools, but it takes 250! days to learn it.

Spare the Dying is now Stabilize from Pathfinder.

The magic section name-checked Eldrich Knight and Arcane Trickster. I guess we have a our Multi-class archetypes for mage/rogue and fighter/mage.

Fighter's using great weapon style re-roll a 1 or 2 on a damage roll. So no DoaM in Basic.

Variant Human is very nice.

You get more expertise as a rogue goes up in levels. Two at first, two at sixth. Makes multi-classing much less tempting.

Speaking of which; overchannel doesn't affect spells above 6th level and you need to meet BOTH class pre-reqs to multi-class. Wizards-going-nova-via-action-surge is pretty much a specific multi-class build, not a casual option. any mage will do.

They fixed the Uncanny Dodge/Evasion title swap from the playtest :)

We got five backgrounds: Folk Hero, Acolyte, Criminal, Solider, and Sage. We did not get Noble from the Pre-Gens, but we got the generic "scholarly" one.

That's what I saw so far from the PDF. I have a box set now to read.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
The magic section name-checked Eldrich Knight and Arcane Trickster. I guess we have a our Multi-class archetypes for mage/rogue and fighter/mage.

I'm guessing those are subclasses of fighter and rogue, respectively. Eldritch Knight has been mentioned by Mearls as such, and arcane trickster certainly fits a rogue subclass.

Thaumaturge.

occam

Adventurer
As was hinted, the second attack when two-weapon fighting takes a bonus action. That means a fighter with Extra Attack using Action Surge gets only 5 attacks (4 normal + 1 extra), not up to 8 (4 normal + 4 extra, depending on interpretation). Not sure how I feel about that yet.

After more time to think, this is going to make two-weapon fighters start falling behind two-handers pretty significantly starting at 5th level. While two-weapon fighting was potentially a little too good before (when used with the Fighting Style), now it's quite a bit worse damage-wise, especially when compared with the new Great Weapon Fighting Style. True, you get a little more flexibility: potentially one extra target, higher AC with a Two-Weapon Defense feat, the option to dump Strength and pump Dexterity. I'm not sure it's worth it; it seems like this is going to be noticeable problem for two-weapon fighters at higher levels.

And don't even get me started on how messed up Great Weapon Fighting is with a greataxe compared to a greatsword or a maul.

Remove ads