• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old-school dungeon crawl using 5e playtest rules

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'm hoping for great things from the more advanced options of a lot of the classes, including Druid, in the PHB.

I'm looking forward especially to Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock -- we've only seen the simplest versions of the classes in the Basic set, so there's plenty of room for amazement.

Li Shenron

Legend
Another thought: Earlier, Li Shenron had said there was another potential player who would like to join our group, and asked whether it would be alright for another PC to be in the party.

We now find that we're lacking a Rogue. Would it be too cheesy for us to conveniently "find" a rogue just when we need one? (Of course, that would make the party 6 PCs instead of 5. . . .)

I won't force [MENTION=6705909]Warren LaFrance[/MENTION] into any specific character, so it will be up to him/her :) only that s/he'll start at level 1.

The game is playable with or without a Rogue anyway. If wanted, any class can take such proficiency anyway, the only problem is that currently that has to be chosen at 1st level.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Rejik Fendall

2nd level LN Human Cleric (Soldier)

Domain: War (Vraith)

STR 15 (+2)
DEX 11 (+0)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 9 (-1)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 13 (+1)

Description
Rejik is a gruff fellow, more at home beside a camp fire than in a warm bed, and entirely ill-at-ease in high-born company. From field commander to refugee to adventurer, he has little time for the niceties and will happily burp his thanks for a good meal as actually say the words.

Raised in a war-torn fiefdom which hasn't seen peace for generations, his calling was one of duty, not one of spirit. Unfortunately, his homeland has long-since collapsed into barbarism, and he intends to spend the rest of his life making the lawless pay for the atrocities he saw committed there.

As a soldier he respects courage, loyalty, conscience, and obedience. He recognizes that his connection to the divine is rare and privileged, but he sees it as an act of commerce, a fair trade: Give me power to avenge the weak, and I will shed blood in your name. He intends to continue in this vein until his god decides otherwise.

Vraith is the god of spent anger, avenged wrongs, and exhausted rage. Among his people, great deeds mean nothing unless they bring you to the very edge of your skills, to the line between what you know and what you don't. As a follower of Vraith, you should never surrender, never stop, never give up the chase. It's with this spirit of tenacity that his people, so long besieged by the great barbarian tribes of the cold plains, survived as long as they did, although since their fall, Rejik's relationship with his god has taken a turn for the ironic. Vraith has yet to show any disapproval with such flippancy.

Personality Traits
* Respects courage, loyalty, and following one's conscience above all else
* Doesn't understand why his god continues to grant him powers

Ideal
* Never give up. Never surrender. Forward is the only way. Fight to your last breath. Make them pay for it.

Bond
* His people are scattered and defeated, but where they meet, they will still protect each-other to the very end.

Flaw
* Rejik is a sucker for hard-luck cases and idiotic plans in which there is nothing left to lose.

Combat & Vitals
Size: M Height: 6' Age: 40 Weight: 175 lbs Eyes: Brown Hair: Black

Speed: 30 ft. (no penalty for heavy armour due to Str)

Proficiency Bonus: +2

HD: 2d8

HP: 15 (8 + 5 (2nd lvl) + 2 con)

Proficient Saving Throws: Wisdom (+5), Charisma (+3)

AC: 18 (16 chain mail + 2 shield, +0 dex due to heavy armour)

Init: +1 (1 dex)

Warhammer: +4 (2 str + 2 prof), 1d8+2 (B), 1d10+2 (B, 2h)

Javelin: +2 (0 dex + 2 prof), 1d6 (P), Range 30/120

Spells
Spell Save DC: 13 (8 + 2 prof + 3 wis)

Spell Attack: 5 (2 prof + 3 wis)

Cantrips Known (3): Guidance, Light, Spare the Dying

Spells prepared (5 + 2 domain): Bless, Command, Cure Wounds, Guiding Bolt (domain), Inflict Wounds, Sanctuary Shield of Faith (domain)

Spell slots: 3 x 1st

Skills
Medicine (Cleric), Persuasion (Cleric), Intimidation (Soldier), Athletics (Soldier)

Proficiencies
Armor: Light, Medium, Heavy (domain), Shields
Weapons: Simple, Martial (domain)
Tools: Healer's kit, Gaming set, mounts (land), vehicles (land)

Special Abilities
* Spellcasting
* Divine Domain
* Channel Divinity (1/rest) - Turn Undead, Guided Strike (+10 to an attack roll)
* War Priest (Domain) - Extra attack during an Attack action (can be used between moves)
* Soldier - Speciality (Officer)

Languages
Common, Elvish (race)

Equipment
Chain Mail
Shield
Warhammer
Javelin (4)
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol
Holy Water (1 flask)
Healer's kit
Lucky Charm (scalp of barbarian chief)
Officer's insignia (stained purple sash, worn around the neck)
Traveler's clothes
Bone dice

Currency
PP: 0 GP: 49 SP: 9 CP: 0

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Okay, I've completed Rejik level 2 and posted him above. Observations about this process:

* Basic D&D PC's are more powerful and resilient than the last playtest packet, eh?
* I adjusted Rejik's ability scores down, in line with the standard array offered by the Basic rules.
* I used the "+1 to all ability scores" human racial trait. I'm happy to reverse that when the feat rules are available if [MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION] wishes it.
* Because the War domain isn't yet available RAW, I used the last playtest packet's version and will amend, if necessary, once I have the PHB. The Basic D&D version of the "Life" domain is comparable to the playtest's, so I think that's probably okay for now.
* Wow. No movement penalty for Heavy Armour as long as you meet a Str pre-requisite. At least one DM I know IRL will house rule that immediately!
* I used the "take 5" rule for 2nd level hit-points with a d8 hit die.
* Between my high Wisdom and domain, I can now prepare almost all 1st level spells due to the limited spell in the Basic rules. :)

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
If I may...
You may!
That's not what I meant by that entry, as in, "my hit die is a d8", but actually it would be more correct like this.
something's wrong here...
Self-fail
soldier background gives Intimidation and Athletics; you should have a third skill from Clericing.
You get two from Clericing (which is what these are). I'd neglected to add the background skills.

Thanks!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
You may!

That's not what I meant by that entry, as in, "my hit die is a d8", but actually it would be more correct like this.

Self-fail

You get two from Clericing (which is what these are). I'd neglected to add the background skills.

Thanks!

glad to help. :)

wedgeski

Adventurer
Oh and another thing...

I have put Inflict Wounds on my prepared spell list. With respect to Necromancy, the rules only specifically call out Animate Dead as an evil act, and given that Rejik is LN and given the nature of his faith, I don't feel that Inflict Wounds is at odds with his beliefs.

Warren LaFrance

First Post
Hi folks, I am ready to get started and I figured I would keep it very simple and use the prefabricated characters in the starter set. They do have aRouge in the set so if that slot has not been filled -- I can play that..

Character Name: PenelBaris Swift GoldClass / Level: Rouge/ 1
Background: Criminal
Race: Lightfoot halfling
Alignment: Neutral
Passive Wisdom (Perception): 10

AbilityStatBonus
Saves
Strength8-1
Dexterity16+3
+5 (t)
Constitution12+1
+1
Intelligence13+1
+3 (t)
Wisdom100
+0
Charisma16+3
+3
Armor Class: 14Initiative: +3Speed: 25 feet
Current Hit Points: 9Hit Dice: 1d8Death Saves:[ ] [ ] [ ]
Failures: [ ] [ ] [ ]

WeaponATK BonusDMG / TYPE
Shortsword+51d6+3 piercing
Shortbow (*)+51d6 +3
TrainedSkillBonusStat
Proficiencies
yesAcrobatics5Dex
Light Armor

Animal Handling0Wis
Simple Weapons

Arcana1Int
Hand Crossbows

Athletics-1Str
Longswords
yesDeception5Cha
rapiers

History1Int
Shortsword

Insight0Wis
Thieve's tools

Intimidation3Cha
Playing cards
yesInvestigation3Int
Carpenter's tools

Medicine0Wis

Nature1Int
Languages

Perception0Wis
Common
yesPerformance5Cha
Halfling

Persuasion3Cha

Religion1Int

yesSleight of Hand5Dex

yesStealth7Dex

Survival0

Expertise: When you make a Dex Stealth check or a check using thieve's tools, your proficiency bonus is doubled. This benefit is included in your stealth skill bonus.

Last edited:

Remove ads