Omega World: Really Fun!

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Making better sense of the Mutation process

When picking a mutant race, write down only the Stock Mutations to begin with.

You will be randomly rolling all other Mutations and Defects.

If you roll a 91 - 100 on Table 1-3, roll again for Random Stock Mutations on Table 1-2.

In fact, that entry on Table 1-3 should read Random Stock Mutation.

If you roll a 91 - 100 on Table 1-4, write down the Stock Defect from Table 1-2.

This allows all Clickies to have an Exoskeleton, Hairies to have Fur, and Scalies to have Scales.

It doesn't doom all mutated humans to be Smaller, Clickies to have Crude Hands, or Scalies to have Poor Respiratory Systems. It just makes those defects to be the MOST LIKELY drawback to being what they are.

Modified Mutations

Pincers

Mutant has pincers in place of its hands. Two natural weapon... Having the Pincer mutation automatically bestows the Crude Hands defect on the mutant.

Tentacles

Mutant has tentacles in place of its normal set of arms. Improved grab with... Having the Tentacles mutation automatically bestows the Crude Hands defect on the mutant.

New Mutation

Improved Tentacles

Mutant has tentacles in place of its normal set of arms. The tentacles each end with a normal humanoid shaped hand. Improved grab with natural weapons. See Monster Manual.
Feat: +1 on grapple checks, repeatable
Value: 4

mmadsen

First Post
Hey, what do you guys do with NPC types in Omega World? Is everybody an 'Explorer', or do you incorporate NPC classes like warriors and commoners?
I don't have a copy of Omega World, but it sounds fascinating. Could someone give the gist of the Explorer class? Is it an Expert with some Bonus Feats?

mmadsen said:

I don't have a copy of Omega World, but it sounds fascinating. Could someone give the gist of the Explorer class? Is it an Expert with some Bonus Feats?

EXPLORER

BAB: +0 / +1 / +2 / +3 / +3 / +4...

GOOD SAVE: +2 / +3 / +3 / +4 / +4...

MIDDLE SAVE: +1 / +1 / +2 / +2/ +3...

BAD SAVE: +0 / +0 / +1 / +1 / +2 / +2...

SPECIAL: Bonus FEAT every level

HIT DIE: d10

SKILL POINTS: 4+ / level

CLASS SKILLS: Choose 8

Storminator

First Post
Squirrel Nutkin said:
Hey Thorvald, you'll get a kick out of this: my last Gamma World campaign was in a Gamma World/OD&D crossover setting that had mutants & magic side-by-side in a post-apocalyptic Earth. I know that's not terribly original but it was definitely wild and wahoo! :D

I love using Omega World for quick D&D monsters. Just whip a random abberation in moments, and toss it at PCs. They have no idea what it is, cause neither do you!

PS

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Has anyone seen this in stores yet... I'm dying here... I keep checking the stores every day. Come on!!!! Please I need Omega World!!!!!

Arclight

First Post
I ran a quick Omega World session last Friday after our D&D session. I'm an old school Gamma World-er but none of the players had ever played it (or even heard of it beyond my ravings). They had a blast! It was hilarious.

They especially loved creating characters. My only beef with OW is the defects (and the amount you will get) are pretty darn harsh. I like having defects completely random, but I understand what Tweet was trying to do balance-wise.

I dropped the players in a small community under siege by giant fire ants. Play began with the PCs discovering an unexploded nuclear warhead buried under their corn fields.

I gave some giant ants from the MM the pryokinesis mutation for instant fire ants! (Sort of like the Sky'zorn from an old GW module.) Immune to all mental attacks except double damage from cryokinesis - which one of the PCs actually rolled as a mutation!

Play was smooth and fast. The system proved to be extremely flexible.

Last edited:

Breakstone

First Post
On Thursday, I'm going to be running a one-shot Omega World adventure in which a satelite falls from the sky miles from a bunch of colonies, and it's a race to see who can get to it first.

I'm thinking a boulder maze full of Hissers, Hoops, and Dinosaurs, a mining camp with robots, and a dune sea full of Seps.

The satelite might even start a chain reactions growing a bunch of plants and stuff for future games.

It aught to be fun!

Remove ads