On the brand VS the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Mercurius, I'm a big tent kind of guy. If you can seriously say that OD&D and 3e D&D using 15 different 3pp splats is the same game, then I really can't understand how a new edition isn't.
Once you take a big tent position on it, though, it makes D&D a pretty useless term, except for identifying the trademark. One could argue that Rolemaster is just another D&D with a different label slapped on it.

Now, if you're in the camp that says D&D is defined by a single edition, then fine, at least that's understandable. I might disagree, but, I get where you're coming from. But, as soon as you decide that two different editions are both D&D, when different editions are very, very far apart, then obviously it's not mechanics that make something D&D.
I think there's a line, but I don't try to precisely define it (especially not in an argument). However, my rule of thumb is basically "can I take this set of rules and use it with adventures or supplements from that edition without ignoring or modifying the majority of the stats?" If so, then it's close enough to be considered the same game, despite variations. If not, then it's probably edged into "different game" territory.

YMMV, of course.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I think there's a line, but I don't try to precisely define it (especially not in an argument). However, my rule of thumb is basically "can I take this set of rules and use it with adventures or supplements from that edition without ignoring or modifying the majority of the stats?" If so, then it's close enough to be considered the same game, despite variations. If not, then it's probably edged into "different game" territory.

That's... that's actually a very good, concrete criterion for judging "what is D&D." It effectively captures exactly what might be off-putting about edition changes.

I know, from experience, that I can take an adventure module written for 0e, 1e, 2e, or 3e and run it with any other edition's rules, no sweat. Ergo, D&D.

Having never tried it for 4e (meaning, either to run an old module with 4e, or to run a 4e module with old rules), I couldn't say whether that holds true for the newest edition. But I strongly suspect that it would fail the litmus test.

Hussar

Legend
I know, from experience, that I can take an adventure module written for 0e, 1e, 2e, or 3e and run it with any other edition's rules, no sweat. Ergo, D&D.

Really? You could pick up DL 1 Dragon's of Despair, and run it in 3e without any major changes? Really? The module features an adult (or possibly older) black dragon and is meant for 5th level PC's. I find that rather difficult to believe.

Looking at the rewrites of AD&D modules for 3e, I'm going to say that it takes a fair bit of massaging to pull an AD&D module into 3e. The balance issues are just completely different. The Basic D&D module, Keep on the Borderland would be, easily, a 4th-6th level adventure if you converted it into 3e, just because of the numbers of creatures in encounters. Good luck facing off 20 orcs vs a 1st level 3e party.

IMO, a lot of this, "Oh, it's easy to switch, but not to edition X" requires a lot of selective reading.

Never mind going the other way. Let's see you convert my psi-blade 3e character to 1e rules.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Looking at the rewrites of AD&D modules for 3e, I'm going to say that it takes a fair bit of massaging to pull an AD&D module into 3e. The balance issues are just completely different. The Basic D&D module, Keep on the Borderland would be, easily, a 4th-6th level adventure if you converted it into 3e, just because of the numbers of creatures in encounters. Good luck facing off 20 orcs vs a 1st level 3e party.

Having rewritten several 1e modules into 3e, there's a lot fewer differences than you'd think. The narrowness of the corridors and the grid rules in 3e keep any encounter with 20 orcs from actually being with 20 orcs at once.
The slavelord series translates particularly well from 1e to 3e with very little real modification.

Mercurius

Legend
If D&D is about the tropes and not necessarily about the specific rules (which actually I'll grant) and every group of gamers uses a slightly different subset of tropes then a ruleset which allows for more tropes will appear to be Dungeons and Dragons to a broader based of gamers. As soon as the designers start deciding to get rid of certain tropes from the game, they are dissecting their fan base.

Another way to look at this is that D&D is not as much, or not only, a game, but a tradition. In addition to being a game and a tradition, it is also a body of ideas, an "imagination space" or meme within which are thousands of ingredients from which each individual DM draws from to create their campaign setting. But rather than being a static tradition or body of ideas, it is always changing, but within that change nothing is lost; all previous iterations are still D&D, no more or less than the current (canonical) iteration.

Let's look at baseball. What is baseball? What is "real" baseball? It has been played many different ways, from the second half of the 19th century to today. Is Ty Cobb's baseball the true baseball? Or is it Joe DiMaggio's? Is it the 50s or 60s, or is it the 70s-80s? There really can be only one answer and that is simply: The whole thing, from inception to the current moment. It is a changing, evolving tradition and game and it reflects the cultural zeitgeist from which it arises.

In that regard I think the tropes you mention are all classic tropes but are not necessarily intrinsic or necessary to the game of D&D. As Hussar mentioned, look at something like Dark Sun. It is very different than the classic Greyhawk setting, but it is still D&D. That is one of the things that makes D&D interesting - that it can be customized and altered and assembled in so many different ways and still be "D&D."

I have to respectfully disagree, as when someone hears "D&D", 99% of people immediately think of a role-playing game....The owners have the right to lablel anyting they want D&D. That doesn't make it D&D in the hearts & minds of the fans of the RPG & their edition of choice.

Then we don't disagree, and maybe you didn't read the rest of that post or any others that I've written in this thread? When I say "D&D" I am talking about the role-playing game, but there is a lot of possible variation, depending upon the individual (usually) DM.

That's kind of the point of view for many people who didn't care for 4e - although WotC branded it D&D, it was too radical a departure. Now since it's still a RPG, I won't tell a 4e fan it isn't D&D. However, it's not a form of D&D I want to play.

Just as every GM's campaign can be viewed as "their brand" of D&D, every fan or former fan of the game can say "that's not D&D" with equal validity -- from their point of view.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I would never say that your brand of D&D is not D&D. Rather, I would say that your brand of D&D may not be my brand of D&D, but it is still D&D. There is a subtle, but very important difference, and this may be at the key of the so-called "Edition Wars." If we can only all agree that all versions of D&D are legitimate forms of D&D, we might save ourselves a lot of grief. Recognizing that another's version of D&D is not one's own preferred version is in no way denying that it is still D&D; but to say that another's brand is not D&D because it is not compatible with one's own preferred version is hubris, pure and simple.

That hasn't been true since OD&D. AD&D placed good vs evil as the central conflict. Proof - Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, Paladins, Detect Evil (not law or chaos), and a whole host of other things.

So Darksun isn't D&D? Dragonlance isn't D&D (no orcs)? Imortals Rules aren't D&D?

Meh, X isn't D&D is just another way of saying, "Your game sucks and mine is better."

Yes, this is the main cause of the Edition Wars. The reason I find this irking is that it disallows interesting discussion of the differences of various editions, and possible ways in which they all relate and are part of the same tradition.

In some ways it is no difference than what we see in religious wars: "My God is the only true God, whereas your God is false." Why can't we allow for different forms of religion and worship? Why can't different versions of D&D be appreciated? We only bankrupt ourselves and the Great Tradition of Dungeons & Dragons by narrowing our focus to such a degree that we cannot appreciate different variations.

Once you take a big tent position on it, though, it makes D&D a pretty useless term, except for identifying the trademark. One could argue that Rolemaster is just another D&D with a different label slapped on it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. First off, you're being a bit extreme; there's a vast difference between, say, Rolemaster and 4E. Although in one sense you're right if only in that almost all non-gamers would think a game of Rolemaster was D&D.

But it isn't so either/or, either you take a "big tent position" or you find a narrow definition. D&D is D&D, why complicate the matter? From OD&D to Esssentials, with every variation inbetween - it is all D&D.

Your definition, of course, makes it difficult to call anything after the early box sets as "D&D." Even AD&D would be hard to define as D&D. Your definition is also "self-centric," that is it is based upon your variation of choice as the object of reference.

You are also, unlike many others in this thread at least, defining the game primarily by the rules. There are obvious problems with that; I'd much rather see the tropes as primary with the rules as secondary. But within both there is a wide variety of what D&D can be. For example, is Fortitude, Reflex and Will D&D? Or is Save vs. Breath Weapon? Rather than say one is true D&D and the other "a different game," I'd rather say they come from two different versions of the same game/tradition. It is certainly more courteous!

All I care about is the game.

The brand is worthless to me, except as a "shorthand" for what to expect in the game.

So for example, I hear "Call of Cthulhu" and I instantly know to avoid those GMs and games. Not because I dislike "horror" games, but because I dislike the usual premise of CoC games; if I hear that a GM or group happens to enjoy CoC, I know that I'm not going to be a good match with that group, regardless of the game system that's actually being run.

"Legacy" is something I don't care about either.

I subscribe to the belief that "system matters" when it comes to a game and therefore the important thing is figuring out what system is best going to support the game I want to run/play.

delericho

Legend
Let's take D&D. What if there is a new edition, and that the new edition, while criticaly hailed by critics and (some) fans alike, is also said to be way TOO different from what is D&D.... or another rpg....

What is more important?
The legacy, the links between editions, the mores, etc...
or
The quality of the game in itself?

I think you need both. If it doesn't say "D&D" on the tin, then it's not really D&D in the tin. (So, I consider Pathfinder to be close, but not quite D&D.)

Conversely, if it says D&D on the tin, then I have expectations about what is in the tin. If I get a boardgame, or an MMO-without-the-PC, or it's not a fantasy game, or class/level-based, or a host of other things, then it's not really D&D - it's just something that's had the label stamped on it. (So "D&D Online" may be close, but it's not really D&D.)

And yes, if the game is awesome, but doesn't match up with what I expect of D&D, then it shouldn't bear the name. Truth in advertising, and all that.

How that applies to 5e remains to be seen, but I must admit to a little concern.

delericho

Legend
Meh, X isn't D&D is just another way of saying, "Your game sucks and mine is better."

I disagree. While it certainly can be used in that way, I don't think it has to be used in that way. As others have pointed out, "D&D Risk" may say D&D on the box, but it's clearly not the same thing as I've been playing for 20+ years.

And while the mechanics from BECMI D&D -> AD&D 2nd Ed -> D&D 3e -> D&D 3.5e -> 4e are all different (I've only listed the editions I'm familiar with), there is a certain similarity in themes, construction and gameplay that marks them all as common. Horses of the same stable, if you will.

Azgulor

Adventurer
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I would never say that your brand of D&D is not D&D. Rather, I would say that your brand of D&D may not be my brand of D&D, but it is still D&D. There is a subtle, but very important difference, and this may be at the key of the so-called "Edition Wars." If we can only all agree that all versions of D&D are legitimate forms of D&D, we might save ourselves a lot of grief. Recognizing that another's version of D&D is not one's own preferred version is in no way denying that it is still D&D; but to say that another's brand is not D&D because it is not compatible with one's own preferred version is hubris, pure and simple.

I was responding to your assertion that anything WotC branded D&D was D&D. If they take a My Pretty Pony game's rules and dress it up with D&D style art, it ain't D&D.

I really don't know too many people that are picking their edition of choice and saying it's the only valid D&D edition. They're citing their preference.

There are 6 Star Wars movies. They all have common elements, they're all undeniably Star Wars. However, there is a vast gulf between the two in the eyes of most fans in terms of quality, storytelling, character development, etc.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

I really don't know too many people that are picking their edition of choice and saying it's the only valid D&D edition. They're citing their preference.

There are 6 Star Wars movies. They all have common elements, they're all undeniably Star Wars. However, there is a vast gulf between the two in the eyes of most fans in terms of quality, storytelling, character development, etc.

YMMV, of course.

Maybe for some, but not for me.

For me, it just means that 4Ed doesn't have enough of what I liked about previous editions of the game for it to feel like D&D for me.

Its still a decent FRPG, but it will never have that "D&D feel" to me.

Their preferences boiled down say, "I like D&D. I don't like X edition of D&D. Therefore X edition isn't really D&D."

I'm not sure how you could read PJ's and DA's quotes any other way. They are flat out saying that some versions of D&D aren't actually D&D. That's a bit different from simply stating a preference.

Now, to be fair, I respect PJ's opinion a lot more here because at least it's consistent. He's picked a pretty narrow definition of the game and stuck to it and everything outside of that definition is excluded.

OTOH, how anyone could claim 3e is D&D but 4e isn't just boggles my mind.

I mean, I could be playing a half-dragon, lycanthropic, vampiric gestalt Soul Blade/Marshall Githyanki and be playing D&D apparently. But, if I play a Dragonborn Warlord, I'm not. :confused: IMO, that's not a very defensible definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads