• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once you go C&C, you never go back

After you tried Castles & Crusades, did you switch to it?

• Yes.

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • No.

Votes: 123 55.7%
  • Liked it, but not enough to switch.

Votes: 43 19.5%

der_kluge

Adventurer
Just read my review of C&C to see what I thought about it. I wish the TLG guys nothing but the best WRT to their game.

It's not for me, though. Like others, I think they took the wrong approach towards the rules - removed stuff that worked (a single XP progression) and overly complicated stuff (SIEGE engine is completely bass-ackwards, IMHO).

Dristram

First Post
gideon_thorne said:
And be assured that he considers this along with any reasonably phrased issue brought to his attention. *coughs*. ;)
Heh, any info you can share about what the art will be like for the CKG, or C&C UA? ;)

Dristram

First Post
der_kluge said:
Just read my review of C&C to see what I thought about it. I wish the TLG guys nothing but the best WRT to their game.

It's not for me, though. Like others, I think they took the wrong approach towards the rules - removed stuff that worked (a single XP progression)
As far as I'm concerned, multiple XP tables seemed to work just fine for AD&D. But that aside, a single XP progression to me has a generic feel. Class-based XP tables to me have a certain charm and add character to the classes. Kind of funny how that came out.

and overly complicated stuff (SIEGE engine is completely bass-ackwards, IMHO).
Are you saying that the SIEGE Engine is overly complicated??

gideon_thorne

First Post
Dristram said:
Heh, any info you can share about what the art will be like for the CKG, or C&C UA? ;)

Well, content wise, not yet. But style wise a fair bit more black and white ink work. Mainly since it seems to show up so much better. I have a few things in mind, but I am not fully cognizant enough of the interior contents to devise appropriate pieces.

gideon_thorne

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
(I assume you mean the original Trampier cover.) That's another one of my favorites (even more than the Sutherland DMG cover, which is also a classic). If that's what you mean by "action," then I'm in complete agreement that we should see more of this kind of thing. It's a scene which fires the imagination and tells a story (and drips swords-and-sorcery feel, to me).

I actually tend to like Trampier's work on the DM screen much more than the original 1E cover. The figures are much cleaner and more detailed, and there is a real sense of mood and drama that the AD&D book cover doesn't quite capture. All IMHO of course. :)

gideon_thorne said:
I actually tend to like Trampier's work on the DM screen much more than the original 1E cover. The figures are much cleaner and more detailed, and there is a real sense of mood and drama that the AD&D book cover doesn't quite capture.
I had a Trampier screen years ago, but it was stolen (along with some other stuff it pained me to lose), and I had to replace it with the later version of the 1E screen (the hooded guy opening the doors).

Anyone have a decent scan/image of art from the the Trampier 1E screen?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads