D&D General One-shot idea, need feedback

Art Waring

halozix.com
Finally, being an inexperienced GM, do you have any general tips on how to improvise in unexpected situations, which will inevitably arise at some point? I personally hate deus ex machinas in stories and I wouldn't want to rely on them if the PCs started doing something that completely went around what I had intended / expected. But what else can you do, how do you deal with such situations?
improvisation can often mean different things based on different perspectives.

Improv can mean being quick on the draw, and being able to come up with new situations on the fly right out of your head.

Improv can also be achieved by being familiar enough with the adventure or source material, and picking, choosing, and assembling from these elements to create new variations.

A good tool for improving your improvisation is to start your home game with a bit of spontaneous activity before the game. Listen to some music to get your head in the zone. Or try the following:

Make some flash cards, each with random words on them. Shuffle the cards and pick the top card, and either you or someone else at the table has to tell a really short story using that word. Then reveal another word, and the next person in line has to continue the story including the new word. Continue until everyone has contributed a story. Keep practicing this with your group once per session and you might see some tangible results with time.

Quartz

Hero
Rather than foreign diplomats, how about them being younger courtiers, say of different (loyal) nobles, eager to make an impression (to gain notice and preferment), who have separately - and unbeknownst to each other - been advised of a possible assassination attempt? For example, one PC might have his heart set on the elderly Baron's granddaughter but because he is a mere lowly knight, he needs to not only prove himself but gain preferment. And saving the king's life would certainly bring that! (And as a knight he is his liege's bodyguard / helper too.)

Take a look at Cerebral Paladin's Aphonion Tales story hour for some inspiration.

aco175

Legend
Finally, being an inexperienced GM, do you have any general tips on how to improvise in unexpected situations, which will inevitably arise at some point? I personally hate deus ex machinas in stories and I wouldn't want to rely on them if the PCs started doing something that completely went around what I had intended / expected. But what else can you do, how do you deal with such situations?
Players always come up with unexpected ideas. Use skill checks to let the PCs try to do things and try to let them if it seems plausible. Talk past a guard- sure, climb the outside wall to a window- sure, ask to 'borrow' the crown- sorry.

Also, there is always NPCs around in your scenario. Servants are everywhere cooks, footmen, ladies in waiting, all there normal people are there for you to use and guide the players/PCs. "Are you lost my lord?" "Let me show you the stairs that go to the ballroom, make sure you go up as down will bring you to the kitchens."

Props are also everywhere. You can find rope, not a grapple likely, but maybe something to fashion one with. You can find dishes to throw or glasses of ale to pose as drunk or something.

Remove ads