• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
This encounter was fairly close to a worst case scenario for your character, being ambushed in a very close quarters situation with no ability to get out of single-move-to-melee range.

Your build seems to emphasize ranged attacks; your eldritch blast is freaking devastating. You'll be shining like a star when we can keep our formation clear and the ranks separated. :)

Yeah, I can't wait to see how effective the blasting build is! I thought of also taking Repelling Blast initially, and it could have been fun to push our foes off the boat! But I decided against it, and went for utility with at will silent image (and a decent +4 stealth check); I'm hoping that it can be used creatively in and out of combat. If I end up never using it, I'll go for the repelling, which will be even nicer at level 5 ;-)

SG

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe, yeah, I think you chose some good invocations. You only get a handful, so picking powers that have either a lot of versatility (silent image) or that you'll want ALL THE TIME (agonizing blast) is a very wise idea. :)

I made a warlock in another game who has the Actor background, the Disguise Self invocation, and a good Deception check.

He's bluffed our party out of more than one encounter without firing a shot. :)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
<Looks at Damien's character sheet> Yes, quite. :D

I'm starting to think our party could make a great ambush strike team. For example, if we turned the boat around, my character could repeatedly cast silent image so it looks as if the all is normal on the boat, Damien could impersonate Shoalar, and make sure we can dock. We wait for night, then, The shapechanged druid and raged barbarian release a serous can of whoop ass, supported by your friendly warlocks, of course. We could then figure out what is going on over there.

Or maybe we just keep going on with our adventure :cool:

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
I was curious if Shoalar could escape and get a nice little recurring villain going, but alas. Still, your idea sounds interesting. I'm along for the ride.

hafrogman

Adventurer
If we turned the boat around, my character could repeatedly cast silent image so it looks as if the all is normal on the boat, Damien could impersonate Shoalar, and make sure we can dock. We wait for night, then, The shapechanged druid and raged barbarian release a serous can of whoop ass, supported by your friendly warlocks, of course. We could then figure out what is going on over there.
The river keepians certainly seemed suspicious, but we have little to go on. It seems we were attacked because they hate 'tags'. Could be a personal thing, so we don't know if those at the keep knew what was going on, or if they expect this boat to be on its way to Womford. If so, returning immediately could be suspicious in its own right. Not suggesting we don't keep the boat, though :)

Forged Fury

First Post
Crossing the river puts us closest to Summit Hall, I think. I'd like to keep the boat, but I don't know how useful it would be. So, my current thoughts:

1) Have Thaliss apply his still going Hex spell to the deckhand, penalizing whatever ability is used in a contested intimidation roll.
2) Damien can cast prestidigitation and intimidate the deckhand, glowing eyes and all that stuff.
3) We tell him to drop us off on the other side of the river, then take the keelboat south to that town whose name I can't remember. There, he will sell the goods on our behalf and leave the sum with a trusted middleman, leaving a note who that person is at a tavern. He can retain a sum of 20gp for his efforts (Damien will demand receipts). He is to leave the keelboat there.
4) On our return trip, we can travel south and hit the city to pick up our money.

I know a lot could not work out with that plan, but I figure give it a shot rather than trying to lug a (literal) boat load of stolen goods around...

hafrogman

Adventurer
Wow, you trust random bandit B a LOT more than I ever would :D (I'm going to call him Ned from here on out. He needs a name.) Fear is a powerful motivator. But it's a lot less powerful the further away from the object of that fear, and it's even less powerful when you're sitting on a few hundred gold pieces.

As I see it, we have a few options.

1) Pull ashore and try and beach and/or hide the boat somewhere before we go hiking to Summit hall. Take Ned with us. Or grill him for info and kill him (a little dark for my tastes).
2) Turn back and assume the keep is the place to get more info on the caravan. Ned may have info as well. But Tolan isn't really the one to extract it from him. If we wipe out the keep, Ned doesn't really matter and can go free.
3) Sail to Womford and hope we're not trying to sell goods back to whoever they were stolen from. If there are known stolen goods, this might give the opportunity to turn Ned over to the proper authorities, as it were. Gives us a chance to check for the caravan there, and resupply/re-equip now that we have actual funds.

Remove ads