[OOC] [D&D 3.5: FR] Silverdale

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Voda Vosa, your character looks good. Post him in the Rogue's Gallery.

Myth, as the focus will be on roleplaying in this game (I'm expecting one combat, unless the PCs go looking for a fight, which is fine also). So, try to find a feat within your region or a +2/+2 that fits your concept. ;) If the character isn't from Waterdeep, pick a region that is more appropriate to the backstory, then.

Scratched_back

First Post
CM: I took on board all your feedback and made appropriate changes to the background, added everything to the sheet that you asked for and fixed those additional skill points that'd cropped up somewhere. As for the Masterwork leather - I allude in his appearance that it's stained maroon, I don't mind paying extra for a flash little quirk, also it means that I now have zero ACP, so I can sneak around with the best of 'em. As for the melee weapon - two reasons for that. Firstly I've got a feeble strength, secondly it's another quirk... I intend to stay out of harm's way, either talking myself out of trouble or casting/singing/shooting from the rear.

34319_407737517465_720677465_4872145_5116236_n.jpg

Appearance: Jericho is attractive. Lacking chiselled features or a body builder's figure, he's handsome in that "there's something about him" way. He stands a few inches short of six feet tall and has what can only be described as an average build. His head is crowned with the characteristic thick, raven-black hair of his Saul family ancestry, falling to somewhere below his jaw line and his skin shows the marks of the sun across his cheeks and his nose. His eyes are an ocean blue with a ring of yellow around the pupils, another family trait. He tends to dress himself in clothing of deep colour, easily recognised around town in his maroon-stained fine leather. He favours a sleek pair of black boots as footwear; these are embroidered with silver eagles in a stitching pattern and were won from a moon elf in a game of chance. He wears them proudly.

Code:
[b]Name:[/b] 		Jericho Saul
[b]Class:[/b] 		Bard
[b]Race:[/b] 		Human
[b]Region:[/b]		Waterdeep
[b]Size:[/b] 		Medium
[b]Gender:[/b]         Male
[b]Alignment:[/b]      Chaotic/Good
[b]Deity:[/b] 		Not aligned

[b]Str:[/b] 8  -1 	     [b]Level:[/b] 1        [b]XP:[/b] 0
[b]Dex:[/b] 14 +2 	     [b]BAB:[/b] +0         [b]HP:[/b] 7 (1d6+1)
[b]Con:[/b] 12 +1 	     [b]Grapple:[/b] -1     [b]Dmg Red:[/b] 0
[b]Int:[/b] 16 +3 	     [b]Speed:[/b] 30'      [b]Spell Res:[/b] 0
[b]Wis:[/b] 10 +0 	     [b]Init:[/b] +6        [b]Spell Save:[/b] +0
[b]Cha:[/b] 16 +3 	     [b]ACP:[/b] 0          [b]Spell Fail:[/b] 0%

[b]Base  Armour Shld  Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/b]
[b]Armour:[/b] 15          10    +3    +0   +2    +0    +0    +0    15
[b]Touch:[/b] 12   [b]Flatfooted:[/b] 12

[b]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/b]
[b]Fort:[/b]                     +0     +1          +1
[b]Ref:[/b]                      +2     +2          +4
[b]Will:[/b]                     +2     +0          +2

[b]Weapon               Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Light Crossbow          +2      1d8          x2

[b]Languages:[/b] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Sylvan.

[b]Abilities:[/b] Bardic Music - Countersong / Fascinate / Inspire Courage (+1).
           Bardic Knowledge (+4) - DCs 10/20/25/30 to gain obscure information.
           Masterwork Harp  - Target one extra person to fascinate.

[b]Feats:[/b]  [B]Smooth Talk[/B] - +2 to Diplomacy / Sense Motive checks.
        [B]Cosmopolitan[/B] - +2 to Search checks, Search now a class skill.
        [B]Skill Focus (Perform)[/B] - +3 to perform checks.

[b]Spells known:[/b] 0th - Lullaby, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic.

[b]Skill Points:[/b] 40     [b]Max Ranks:[/b] 4/2
[b]Trained Skills           Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/b]
Bluff                       3    +3          +6
Concentration               2    +1          +3
Diplomacy                   3    +3    +2    +8
Gather Information          3    +3          +5
Hide                        3    +2          +5
Knowledge (Arcana)          3    +3          +6
Listen                      2    +0          +3
Move Silently               3    +2          +5
Perform (Strings)           3    +3    +5    +11
Perform (Story)             2    +3    +3    +8
Search                      3    +3    +2    +8
Sense Motive                3    +0    +2    +5
Spellcraft                  3    +3          +5
Tumble                      2    +2          +4
Use Magic Device            2    +3          +5

[b]Untrained Skills         Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/b]
Appraise                  -      +3          +3
Climb                     -      -1          -1
Disguise                  -      +3          +3                   
Escape Artist             -      +3          +3 
Forgery                   -      +3          +3
Heal                      -       0          +0
Intimidate                -      +3          +3
Jump                      -      -1          -1
Ride                      -      +3          +3
Spot                      -       0          +0
Survival                  -       0          +0
Swim                      -      -1          -1
Use Rope                  -      +3          +3

[b]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/b]
Light Crossbow		  35gp   4lbs
Bolts (20)		   2gp   2lbs	
MW Family Harp           100gp   3lbs
Flint & Steel              1gp   0lbs
Parchment (10 sheets)      2gp   0lbs
Ink (1oz vial)             8gp   0lbs
Ink pen                    1sp   0lbs
MW Studded Leather 	 160gp  15lbs 

[b]Total Weight:[/b] 24lbs      [b]Money:[/b] 136gp 9sp 0cp        

[b]Lgt    Med    Hvy    Lift   Push[/b]
[b]Max Weight:[/b]                26    27-53  54-80  <230   <575

[b]Age:[/b] 20
[b]Height:[/b] 5'10"
[b]Weight:[/b] 147lb
[b]Eyes:[/b] Blue
[b]Hair:[/b] Black
[b]Skin:[/b] White (tanned)

DM ONLY:
Family Background: [sblock]People say that the seventh son of a seventh son is meant for special things, the Saul family of Waterdeep have lived in this hope for years. Marcus Saul, the patriarchal head of the family, being a seventh son himself, spent years researching the various legends, myths and prophecies regarding the phenomenon. Serving as counsellor and advisor to prominent members of city guilds and organisations, Markus became a respected member of Waterdeep society and eventually set up his own arcane research library within the city walls which, over time, evolved into a Guild for the users of magic. Since that time his family prospered, all of whom became involved in the running of the Guild, named 'Saul Arcanum'.

This success came at a cost. A member of the guild, a small-minded and callous man named Otzem, became increasingly jealous of Marcus’ success and attempted to frame the Saul family for the robbery of tomes from a rival guild house. Otzem was discovered and exposed as the true criminal and consequently was expelled from the guild. Humiliated amongst his peers, Otzem formed his own organisation to rival the Saul Arcanum and used every opportunity that arose to try and muddy the Saul name. Since Otzem and his family founded 'The Otzem Institute', almost forty years ago, the feud has become a murky affair hanging like a shadow over the otherwise blossoming arcane community within the great city of Waterdeep. Although the majority of people schooled in the arcane arts try not to become involved, both the Saul family and the Otzem family hold sway over local residents. This divide within the one of Waterdeep's boroughs has given way to heated words during community meetings, anonymous attacks on people of each family, the alleged attempted assassination of Marcus Saul and once even skirmishes in the street between supporters of each side.

Correctly reading the signs many years earlier, Marcus Saul spread rumours that due to complications in the birth of their sixth son, his wife could no longer bear children. Marcus became aware that he had been spied upon researching the seventh-son-legend, so when Jericho was born he was passed off as a cousin's son, taken into the family for tutelage. He decided it necessary to hide Jericho’s true nature to shield him from attacks of Otzem’s people, or anybody wanting to stop more power to the Saul family. Whilst neither family could be described as evil, this blood feud continues to escalate, neither family wishing to show weakness.[/sblock]

DM ONLY:
Personal Background: [sblock]Jericho grew up knowing that something was special about his life, although he wasn’t sure what. His three brothers treated him as brothers would; teasing, fighting and arguing, the three cousins from his mothers side of the family that had lived with him all their life also treated him so, yet none of them were paid nearly as much attention from his father Marcus as he was. Educated from the age of five in subjects befitting the son of a respected family, mathematics, sciences, geography, music, histories and heraldry were all familiar to him by his tenth summer. Growing up around magic was a normal occurrence for a Saul boy, and Jericho was no exception. Once his arcane tuition began, he quickly learned how to read magical writings, discern the presence of magic in the air, and most amusingly to himself, carry himself drinks of water from the fountain in the corner of the room without leaving the table. His tutor was delighted with the speed of his early progress and whispers were soon heard within the family walls that something was afoot; the seventh son of the seventh son was indeed the prodigy they had hoped for. Weeks turned to months and Jericho added several more tricks to his repertoire, sometimes picking up simpler incantations in a mere matter of days. Marcus Saul, Jericho’s father came to personally oversee his son’s advancement to the next stage of magic, the step up from cantrips to spells used by real mages within the real world.

To his surprise, Jericho was not in his study. The ink pot and pen, used daily in Jericho's education, was gone - as was a sheaf of paper that usually adorned the desk. To Marcus' disgust, gone also was the fine harp that'd been passed through their family for generations to those skilful enough to use it. On the desk now there was simply a note: “Dear father, please do not think me ungrateful, I truly am not, but my heart lies elsewhere. Magic is a mighty tradition for our family; I wish you good luck with it, but I must find my own way in life and I tire of this pointless feud. The studies I have engaged in since my childhood have given me far more than just knowledge, they have given me hunger and passion. I am no more for the classroom, I intend to see the world, to see the wonders of which I have learned. Worry not for me, I will return. Some day. – Sincerely, your seventh son.”[/sblock]

Current Situation: [sblock]After becoming restless and leaving Waterdeep, Jericho wanted to go somewhere that he could make a difference. Not having definite plans, he wandered from town to town for several weeks catching rides with merchant caravans and traders, paying for his transit with music and entertainment. Just as he was beginning to grow bored of aimless travel, he heard rumours of a new settlement founded in the Dalelands, a small outpost called Silverdale. Although not much was known about the place, it was rumoured that most of the inhabitants were soldiers and that something was stirring in the region. With his curiosity piqued and his sense of adventure flaring, Jericho spent days chatting to anyone that might know anything about the place and at last secured passage with a weapons merchant. If half the rumours he'd heard were true, the people of the outpost would be under severe stress. If he could spend some time there and lighten the mood, it could help them. If he could find out more about what was going on and why, maybe it could even help him.[/sblock]

Town role: [sblock] A bard may not have a definitive role in a rough frontier town, not being an adept warrior, a builder, or a hunter for example, but Jericho makes himself useful by keeping spirits raised in the spare time people have. Whether playing his harp in the centre of the settlement as people work, or recounting ancient tales of adventure in the tavern on an evening, Jericho does his best to keep himself in the public eye in Silverdale. Bored of the hum-drum life of his native Waterdeep, he relishes making acquaintances from lands he has yet to visit. Jericho will not accept payment for his performances, although he may accept drinks or a friendly tobacco pipe, insisting that it's the least he can do to help the hard-working people of the town forget their worries and smile.[/sblock]

Last edited:

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Scratched_back, your good to post your character in the Rogue's Gallery. Just a couple of FYI notes. You do know that Leather armor doesn't have an armor check penalty even without being masterwork, yes? Also, that picture looks suspiciously like the bard from A Bard's Tale. :D

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Everyone, please list your Region with your primary demographic info (Race, Class, Alignment, etc).

[sblock=Barton Slyfoot, Halfling Scout (Player: Scott DeWar)]First Glance - What sort of halfling are you? "Generic" PHB Halfling equates to Lightfoot halflings in FR.
Region: Chondalwood, general lightfoot halfling

As a I don't have Player's Guide to Faerun, we'll be using the FRCS version of the Forester feat (+2 on Heal and Survival checks). As mentioned elsewhere, due to being a Scout, you aren't eligible for regional benefits, though you can still pick up a +2/+2 skill feat as a bonus feat (including Forester).

will this link help? : legal frcs sight

Number Crunching - You spent 6 points each on all of your ability scores, yet your Charisma is 10? From my calculations, your stats should read:

Str: 12
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 14
I might have missed typed. did we have 32 or 36 points> if 32, then 10 is the proper number of chrisma. if 36 then i have 4 more points to spend!!

Hit points should be 10.
so noted. other stuff I will get to as soon as i understand how i do not get to use the regional feat i have listed. (Forester)
I am reading up on it at this time
Your saves are all off by one (you have a +2 misc bonus, but halfling racial bonus to saves is only +1). Luck of Heroes has a regional requirement you don't qualify for. You'll need to spend the 30 gp for your shortbow so your spending is a little off because of that. Sunrods are 2 gp a piece. The pony is 30 gp. By my calculations, you've spent 182 gp, 3 sp (still well within your max starting gold of 200 gp). Need to know what languages the character speaks (he gets Common, Halfling, 2 more from Intelligence bonus and another two for the skill points spent on the Speak Language skill). Keep in mind that the Jump skill takes a -6 penalty due to the character's speed. I'll want to see skill totals for all skills, including those that can be used untrained.

Background - Sufficient. What role/position do you see this character playing in Silverdale?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scratched_back

First Post
Scratched_back, your good to post your character in the Rogue's Gallery. Just a couple of FYI notes. You do know that Leather armor doesn't have an armor check penalty even without being masterwork, yes? Also, that picture looks suspiciously like the bard from A Bard's Tale. :D

Whoops, I intended for it to be MW Studded actually, for maximum benefit with zero ACP. Fixed that (and my gold of course) and I'm posting in the RG now.

I couldn't find a better picture ;)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Scott DeWar, you're right, it was 32 so the 10 in Charisma is fine. Sorry about that. As for the Forester feat, as I said before, one of the reasons I stick by the "if it isn't in my books you can't have it" is that I like to know precisely where to find my source material. If its a link to some online source, I guarantee I will lose track of it. I'm still a book kind of guy. Looking stuff up online annoys me. So, use the Forrester feat from FRCS or pick something else, please.

Scratched_back, okie dokie.

Scott DeWar

Ah, I understand. book only it is then. i need to (OMG, this is going to hert to do) read (ugh) a book.

Edit:
CM, ya know that if you decide to change that to 36 point buy, I won't complain :D

re-edit: I am reading the books right now.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

work in progress with some corrections accomplished.
[sblock=Barton Slyfoot]

[sblock= Halfling scout]
Code:
Halfling Scout 1

Barton Slyfoot of clan hillhearth of the xxxxxxx village.

st 14 (6 pt)   12 +1
dx 14 (6 pt)   16 +3
cn 14 (6 pt)   14 +2
in 14 (6 pt)   14 +2
ws 14 (6 pt)   14 +2
ch 10 (2 pt)   10 +0

bab +0 
grapp -3 (+0 BAB, +1 Str, -4 Size)
Init +3 
hd d8 + 2
HP: 10
Speed 20

Saves:  total  base  abil  misc notes
Fort     +3     +0    +2    +1
Ref      +6     +2    +3    +1
Will     +3     +0    +2    +1  +1 addt'l vs fear (race)
Misc = race

[B]Offense[/b]
Weapon         att dam     crit      rng    type      notes
Axe, throwing  +3  1d4+1    ×2       10 ft.  Slash   +1 when thrown (race)
Mace, light    +1  1d4      ×2        —      Bludg
Dagger         +2  1d3+1  19–20/×2   10 ft. Pierc/slash   +1 when thrown (race)
Shortbow       +2  1d4+1    ×3       60 ft.  Pierc

[b]Feats and features[/b]
[b]Skirmish[/b] (+ 1d6 to damage whe movement of at least 10 feet)
[B]Trapfinding[/b] ( search skill to find traps with gtr then dc 20; disable
     device to bypass norm or magic traps
[B]BONUS FEAT[/B] Alertness +2 to listen and spot)
[B]CHAR LEV 1[/B] Mounted combat (reqm for Prc)
[B]char lev 3[/B] Mounted Archery (reqm for Prc)
future feat: Improved scirmish (comp scound pg 71)

Skills           total ranks abil misc notes
Appraise                00     0       0       0      0   +0
Balence (dx)       +5   +3    +2   --
Bluff                   00     0       0       0      0   +0
Climb (st)         +5   +2    +1   +2   race
craft: 
  -Bow/Fletch (In) +4   +2    +2   --
Diplomacy               00     0       0       0      0   +0
Disable Device                 0       0       0      0   +0
Disguise                00     0       0       0      0   +0
Escape art (dx)    +5   +2    +3   --
Hide (dx)          +9   +2    +3   +4   size
Jump (st)          -1   +2    +1   -4   race (+2) size/mvmt (-6)
Know: 
  -geog (in)       +4   +2    +2   --
  -Dung (in)       +3   +1    +2   --
  -nature (in)     +4   +2    +2   -- 
Handle Animal                  0       0       0      0   +0
Heal                    00     0       0       0      0   +0
Intimidate              00     0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (Arcana)             0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (Engnrng)            0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (History)            0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (Local)              0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (Nobility)           0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (Planes)             0       0       0      0   +0
Knowledge (Religion)           0       0       0      0   +0
Listen (ws)        +8   +2    +2   +4   race; alertness feat
move silent (dx)   +8   +2    +3   +2   race
Perform    (       )    00     0       0       0      0   +0
Profession (       )           0       0       0      0   +0
Ride (dx)          +4   +2    +2   -- 
Search (ws)        +4   +2    +2   --
sense motive (ws)  +4   +2    +2   --
Slight of Hand                 0       0       0      0   +0
speak lang (na)    +2   +2    --   --
Spellcraft                     0       0       0      0   +0
spot (ws)          +6   +2    +2   +2 Alertness feat
survival (ws)      +4   +2    +2   --
swim (st)          +3   +2    +1   --
tumble (dx)        +5   +2    +3   --
Use Magic Device               0       0       0      0   +0
use rope (dx)      +5   +2    +3   --

* Situational Bonus not included in Total

[SIZE=1]* * Skills with a blank 'Total' may not be used untrained.[/SIZE]

skill points: lv 1 (8 +2 ) X 4 = 40

carrieing capacity 58 lb. or less 59–116 lb. 117–175 lb.
( .75 of normal for race)  Med: 44 - 87 lb  Hvy: 88 - 131 lb

starting gold 200

[B]Equipment:                     Cost    Weight    [/B]
Short Bow, mighty/comp +1      ---     0.5  *
   -arrows X 20                1.00    0.75  *
Throwing ax X2                16.00    1.00  *
Dagger                         2.00    0.25 (left boot)  *
Backpack                       2.00    0.50   *
Bedroll                        0.10    5.00 
Waterskin                      1.00    4.00 
Flint/steel                    1.00    --- 
Oil X2                         0.20    2.00 
Paper X40                     16.00    --- 
Belt Pouch X2                  2.00    0.25 (belt)  *
Rations, Trail X10             5.00    10.00  (1/2)  
Rope, Silk, 100 feet          20.00    10.00 (1/2)  
Sunrods X10                   10.00    10.00 (belt pouch x 3; pony x7) 
Explorer's Outfit              ---      --- (wearing)  *
Tinder twig, 20               20.00     --- (belt pouch)
pony                          25.00     ---
saddle, sm                    10.00     12.5 *
bit/bridle                     2.00     1.0
saddle bags                    4.00     2.0 *

131.3 gp   so far
[B]Total Weight:[/B]    27 lb self;  32.5 + self on Pony

* These items weigh one-quarter this amount when made for Small characters. Containers for 
      Small characters also carry one-quarter the normal amount.
[/sblock]

[sblock=abbreviated history]
Barton slyfoot could never be pinned down for anything, so it was only natral for him to be a scout for the clan and village. When his training was completed a younger brother was taken in as a new apprintice to their uncle, an outrider for the community. With a given primission to wander to where he wishes he left the ------ forest and ended up in the area of Silverdale. As he simple wanders into town he finds himself thirsty for some ale...
[/sblock]

[sblock=Halfling traits:]
# +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
# Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
# Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
# +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
# +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
# +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
# +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
# Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
# Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass halfling’s rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing
[/sblock]

[sblock= plan outrider]

from comp warr

reqm
BAB +5
Skills: Listen 3 ranks; ride 6 ranks; spot 3 ranks
Feats: Mounted Combat; Mounted Archery

Last edited:

Remove ads