• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)

LordGraz'zt

First Post
Themes is on a roll, in less than a couple hours he has already offended both the Count and now the Captain.

We are going to have to tie him down soon before he ends up overboard!

jbear

First Post
[MENTION=84680]treex[/MENTION] What would be your reasoning be behind trying to cause a mutiny, apart from Themes being a pirate?

To be honest the question has me a little worried.

In any case I think your chances are less than zero. No one on board knows you or trusts you. The one person that liked you was the captain. The boat ride will last less than a day so you won't even have a chance to win the crew over. Like I said right from the start, this is not a boating adventure.

Besides, who in the PC group would support your mutiny? I very much doubt that anyone else in the group would have even the slightest motivation to go along with such an act. In fact some of the characters have a vested interest in not getting on the wrong side of the Count and so would more than likely actively stop you.

Your character is of course free to behave however you think he should behave. The friendly peg legged Captain who idolises the Lah'nun ... well that was to help you motivate Themes to get on board with the adventure. To some degree you have chosen to reject that. Fair enough. Your choice. I guess you are imagining them as in conflict with the Count, where as I am imagining them having reached a mutual understanding and even a happy co-existence. The Count is certainly not as straight laced as you perhaps are imagining him, and the Captain is not a straight laced military officer.

This is my first time as DM in PbP. It is not however my first time DMing. I'm quite happy to let players play their characters how they see fit. And I'm also absolutely fine with giving realistic reactions to PC behaviour. That means if you want to play Themes as a PC who dares rob the most powerful man in the Crystal Isles who has connections throughout the underworld who has no qualms in killing those that cross him ... go for it. But Themes will not be safe just because he is your character.

If we were playing a sand box campaign where the expectations are that anything goes, or even a campaign of any description, you might find I would give you a different answer. But that is not the case. It's not even a campaign. It's an adventure. The adventure is what it is. It's a published adventure which I am adapting a) to fit the setting and b) to try and hook your characters into it. I don't have the time to write my own adventure. Sorry.

So I guess you either get on board with it or don't. Best to decide that before the ship departs.

treex

First Post
[MENTION=84680]treex[/MENTION] What would be your reasoning be behind trying to cause a mutiny, apart from Themes being a pirate?

To be honest the question has me a little worried.

-rambling-

So I guess you either get on board with it or don't. Best to decide that before the ship departs.

Gosh, I'm really sorry I worried you so badly. I was only asking out of curiosity. I have no plans to steal the ship. Yet. Muhahaha. Okay, seriously *straight face* I solemnly swear that I'm not up to no good.

jbear

First Post
Good. It's the DM's prerogative to be the ones who are up to no good.

And it is also for them to be the ones who do evil laughs.

So I'm going to take this opportunity to do one myself.

Muahahahaha.

Ah, that feels better.

DM walks off to bed whistling a familiar tune:

"Hoo-ray and up she rises ear-ly in the morning ..." :devil:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Themes is on a roll, in less than a couple hours he has already offended both the Count and now the Captain.

We are going to have to tie him down soon before he ends up overboard!
And at least one party member. Even if it was an accident, she's the healer - not someone whose bad side you want to be on. ;)

treex

First Post
You may want to excuse any erm, less diplomatic approaches that I take throughout the adventure.

I'm also going to run an adventure. It's really draining T^T...and it's not easy for me, I only picked up DnD about a year ago and only played by pbp. So if my post rate suddenly drops it probably means that the pressure finally crushed me xD

Please don't not-heal me D: Even though it would be funny. For a while.

Neil1889

First Post
Right then, the pirate junks!

I think that we'd be better off crippling and running or at least trying to cripple one and thinking about what state we're in. Melee with one looks hard work. Melee with two leaves us walking the plank, if we're lucky.

Rain can help with her Endurance +8 to improve our chances with some tasks, or maybe use her action to have our hosts do something.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Sabynha will be awful at most of the physical tasks, but ok at commanding troops. If we can ram one and slice it in half, the other one will be much easier to deal with alone. Not saying that's the best plan, but it's an option :)

Daeja

Explorer
Zuri will follow orders - she knows she's not the expert on the nautical front. She might be a decent option for manning a cannon? Beyond that... I'm happy to take suggestions.

Son of Meepo

First Post
You can have three targets on Thunder of Judgement, one could be the boat itself. How far is the Push on Thunder of Judgement. If it was 4 or more, yes, pushing a captain overboard is a possibility.

Thunder of Judgement is push 4. Also, if both junks are within 10 of Wat, wouldn't he be able to target both of them?

Which leads to another question. I have two close blast 3 powers that push Thunderwave (push 4) and Astral Wind (push 1). Since they are close attacks, they would be capable of pushing swarms, so if I can get close enough, what effect could I expect these powers to have on the crews of the junks? Also, Astral Wind deals extra damage if the target I pushed moves closer to me.

Divine Bolts vs boats: Not seeing it capable of damaging the boat significantly. You'll have to use that against crew.

I'll take your word for it, though I'll point out that it deals the exact same damage as Thunder of Judgement (1d6+4).

Or are you saying that I would have to use Thunder of Judgement against one boat only to get the (2d6+4) damage?

Maybe I should make a wiki page that lists out our skills against what was presented as options in the challenge. Do people think that would be useful?

Remove ads