[OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)

Neil1889

First Post
I'm going to plead brain fry - can I have Zuri attempt to aid via thievery since Sab's roll failed?

I think the question is was the limit one success per skill per round or one attempt per skill per round.

If the limit is one success, then Zuri can try thievery since the first attempt failed, but if it is only 1 attempt, then Thievery is already closed for the round.

Think I'd like this one cleared up.

If Rain can pick a different skill with Zuri, one of us can try again and the other use the Captain to align the ship.

If not, then maybe Rain should go somewhere else this round.

Daeja

Explorer
If Rain can pick a different skill with Zuri, one of us can try again and the other use the Captain to align the ship.

If not, then maybe Rain should go somewhere else this round.

Yes, that was my question - 1 attempt per skill or 1 success. :)

In the interests of finishing up before our illustrious DM wakes up - why not have Rain help with another skill, and I'll use my action to use the Captain to align the ship?

Neil1889

First Post
Yes, that was my question - 1 attempt per skill or 1 success. :)

In the interests of finishing up before our illustrious DM wakes up - why not have Rain help with another skill, and I'll use my action to use the Captain to align the ship?

Well, Endurance has been used successfully by Wat, so that's out for now. The first mate's Athletics is better than mine at +8, as opposed to +6. Also, can Wat's successful diplomacy have the crew help somewhere ? (Can we can get them to aim one of the guns below deck?)

Themes is Burt Lancaster in another form with Acrobatics of +11, so I think he's likely to stay up here.

Rain is not good with the guns except possibly at recharging them and she has quite a few surges. I now think maybe Rain should try her luck down there as an extra body and shoot an aimed cannon if she has to, though she isn't good and really should support the Kartuus and maybe the crew come recharge attempts.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Sorry guys, I guess I misunderstood how this was going to work; I wouldn't have intentionally stolen Zuri's thunder :)

If I knew that was the intent of the wording for that check I would have used something other than Thievery (especially considering my abysmal roll!), or tried something else entirely. My character can't really do much until we close to within 10 squares/50 feet anyway.

LordGraz'zt

First Post
If I misunderstood and their is not a crew member already at the cannon - I will retcon it to be Kartuus firing the cannon himself.

I hope its ok that I post first and ask the question later - I just figure because of the speed of PbP, posting > then having a long discussion in here and then posting.

Daeja

Explorer
Yeah, I dove in with the captain and first mate because I don't want to hold us up. :)

Re; intent on wording - again, I approve of diving in! :) Zuri deserved to miss out on a chance to actually aid by being tentative. I'm happy to see RP override tactics (don't vote me out of the group!), whether intentional or not ;)

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
I also approve of diving in. I think 1 success per skill is a good way to go. So if someone fails another team member can swoop and put things right.

I havve only read the OOC thread so far and am at work so I don't have the chance to give my full attention atm. But I'll check out what has gone on so far.

Each cannon was already manned by a crew member. So if a PC joins them they are effectively manned by 2 people.

Edit: Read through, looks like we are off to a start! I hope things are clearer from here on out. If I run another challenge, I'll try and make things more explicit if that helps.

Thievery: I thought that might relate to rope work and adjusting sails and things.

I'll do a write up when I get home off what has happened so far, and add the Junks turn as well.

Last edited:

LordGraz'zt

First Post
Do not stress it jbear, skill challenges are hard enough as it is - let alone in PbP where you have to spell out everything perfectly.

I have read a lot of other threads (the Serpent's Skull one you are in is what inspired me to play PbP) and the skill challenge you have set up is on par with the best of them - especially given the fact its a last minute throw in.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yes, definitely one of the coolest (and most detailed) skill challenges I've seen. Very well done. I wanted to give you some XP for it, but apparently I need to spread it around first. :(

Remove ads