[OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Most of my powers are centred around the idea of buffing my allies, and I have to hit to do that, and keep my allies within 5 squares (25 feet) of me.

I have a per-encounter daze-on-hit which might be useful in disrupting the chain of command on one of the junks.

My daily powers both affect my aura; it can be either preventing us from granting CA, and once in the fight an ally can claim +2d10 damage, or all enemies grant CA and one enemy when hit will be dazed (save ends). My guess is that the first will be more useful in preventing us from being overrun (we're outnumbered, right?), and also taking out an enemy commander.

Can I use the damage bonus of Cautionary Tale to help damage an enemy vessel? Now that I think on it, the fluff matches what I did before the battle perfectly :)

jbear

First Post
Thunder of Judgement is push 4. Also, if both junks are within 10 of Wat, wouldn't he be able to target both of them?

Which leads to another question. I have two close blast 3 powers that push Thunderwave (push 4) and Astral Wind (push 1). Since they are close attacks, they would be capable of pushing swarms, so if I can get close enough, what effect could I expect these powers to have on the crews of the junks? Also, Astral Wind deals extra damage if the target I pushed moves closer to me.

I'll take your word for it, though I'll point out that it deals the exact same damage as Thunder of Judgement (1d6+4).

Or are you saying that I would have to use Thunder of Judgement against one boat only to get the (2d6+4) damage?

Maybe I should make a wiki page that lists out our skills against what was presented as options in the challenge. Do people think that would be useful?
I'm really not looking at the damage, I'm just going off the fluff and the fact that it is an encounter power, which is a level above on the power scale than at wills. And the once only nature means that the cannons remain an important feature to the challenge, where as the at will power could mean you take out both junks by your self by spamming divine bolts.

If both junks are within 50 ft of you, yes you could use against both junks.

Combining a Daily power with actions to increase damage, yeah, definitely. That could combine with cannons, ramming or whatever.

Pushing swarms. You won't be able to push the entire crew overboard in one push, put for each push you land on them you'll do more damage to the swarm. I'm working on the basis that each crew member has 2 hps. So if you land a push 4 on them I'll calculate that as though you potential push four of them overboard, so potentially a bonus 8 dmg.

Sound fair?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Ok, that cements that for me then - consider my RP fluff earlier to be me kicking in Cautionary Tale. The damage bonus can come whenever - we can pick our moment. I'd prefer to save it for a big hit like a ram or cannon, but taking down a commander would be ok too.

treex

First Post
What advantages are there to crippling the boat? Do we still engage enemy crew?

And my vote is we pool towards the ramming, then we fire off the cannons at the other ship. Last question, can I spend my move action to have the Captain make a Nature roll to align the ship? Someone else make the 1st mate roll (move action), Themes has a +7 (standard). Then someone has to roll for the actual ramming (or is that a free action as long as you have alignment)

Worst comes to worst, we miss the ramming roll, deal 2 dmg to them and our ship and then we fire one of our cannons point blank into their ship. Of course that would mean the spare crew/people should get one cannon ready.

[sblock]New rule: Rule of cool shall supercede all other rules when the rule of cool is involved.[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
It looks like the captain has the best Nature check, so if we want to ram, then we should probably have the captain align the ship. Themes can automatically assist in aligning with his +11 Acrobatics. Other people can assist with other skills if they want.

Would I need a Diplomacy check to get the captain to go along with this plan?

jbear

First Post
The crew use the standard attack roll to fire cannons. If someone has dungeoneering higher than that then they are more accurate.

New Rule: Only the DM makes rules Edit: But yes, I tend to guide all of my decisions by the 'rule of cool' so to speak. If you think something might work, just try it. Generally it will be at least beneficial. It may not always work out as you planned or I might make it slightly trickier than you like, but being inventive, brave and courageous with your powers will usually get a favourable spin at working and being kick arse from me.

This will happen in rounds. So the captain will try and outmanoeuvre the junks (if you use him) in the first round. The rest of you do whatever it is you are doing. Then the junks will have a turn to respond. Whoever is guiding the ship will need to have 3 successful rounds of nature checks to outflank one of the junks (imagine a series of tacks and counter tacks) If you fail twice in a row before those 3 successes than the junk has outmanoeuvred the Dolphin.

The Captain does not require a Diplomacy check of any kind to go along with any plan; you have full narrative control over the captain and the first mate in a sense, only you use your own actions to take that control.

The crew on the other hand need to be ordered around with charisma based checks.

Edit: If there are no more questions ... then do your worst (or best) (or anything at all as per Lord Graz'zt)

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
I hope so! :)

Up to 4 people can 'aid another' normally.

I think the question is was the limit one success per skill per round or one attempt per skill per round.

If the limit is one success, then Zuri can try thievery since the first attempt failed, but if it is only 1 attempt, then Thievery is already closed for the round.

Remove ads