D&D 5E [OOC] Escape from Castle Illvithar

Forged Fury

First Post
Yeah, I think that is more than our average damage, even assuming we both hit and I get SA damage. Not in the cards...

With that said, I'm thinking of playing Whisper to her type if she loses more HP but doesn't die yet.

Forged Fury

First Post
Awesome, fun time [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION]! Had a great time! I kind of feel bad that my actions or decisions ended up killing everyone, but hey, that's life (and death)!

Creamsteak

Explorer
I believe so... unless I missed something.

+5 1d6+3 isn't too bad, but when they have advantage the whole time...

The only thing noteworth that was special about that last encounter is that all six cat's were one creature that split it's soul in six. They all otherwise were normal Lions.

Never had anyone explore the demiplane before. Like, if I were scripting out possible paths to leave, that's one of the more interesting but unlikely ones.

Feedback? Q&A within reason without major spoilers?

Forged Fury

First Post
Well, they shouldn't have had advantage against Whisper most of those rounds, but it certainly adds up over time. Advantage comes close to guaranteeing a hit against anything not seriously armored. Maybe a party of four would have had a shot.

I thought it was fun. Realizing that it is based on the Malzaan books, I vaguely understood the terminology, but I don't know if someone who hadn't read the books would understand what was going on. If it is basically designed to be a deathtrap, then I think it works well. There doesn't really seem to be much chance to survive for low-level characters, but that makes it pretty fun to see how long you can survive.

Given the level of lethality, I think it inhibits most people from attempting the puzzles for fear of traps. I didn't really even attempt to figure them out once we had a 7th Level spell trigger on a missed lockpick. Although surviving that will forever be one of my favorite moments in RPG history.

Good times all in all.

Creamsteak

Explorer
They had normal attacks, because advantage cancelled disadvantage.

Yeah, I'm influenced by some things from Malazan, mostly the cosmology for this. A lich they thought they killed that may have actually "ascended"? What does that sound like...

The lethality was obviously mentioned up front for a reason. It's less a traditional D&D game and more like those dungeon crawl adventures they sometimes ran at conventions where it was sort of a competition to see who could get farthest. I try to make it a point that things don't turn dangerous until you kinda turn things up yourself. Of course, when the first thing you have is a durn dwarf screaming, the game reacts appropriately. Same for fidling with traps. Taking things.

Pac man ghost might have been an exception. No wait... who wants anything to do with a creepy smiley face.

I did feel really sad at the first death, as someone was entirely not responsible for their own death. Not even betrayed either!

Caretaker was a crapshoot, it's fairly choreographed and he can be 'beaten' more easily, but I think PbP encourages us to do SOMETHING with our time to keep things moving.

Not a bit of discovery on the parties part about what's going on on the main level. You actually wandered into the archlich side rooms, ignored the weird plant monster observatory, I may have went over overkill intentionally on the magic crap in the lich's room... then we started to go to the demiplane which has the "end game" solution that isn't just sneak out of the castle somehow. The live group I ran for went the other way and found their way to the courtyard where... something happened.

Not a single NPC you could talk to till you ran into the catpack. That's funny to think about.

tglassy

Adventurer
It was amazingly fun. I want to play again, with a new character. I know that's probably not possible until next year, but still.

Btw, how did you do the maps? I've been trying to find a good map program so I can do that for the game I'm DMing.

Remove ads