[ooc] gng - nameless [4/4]

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
Just had a look at the SRD. For what its worth, both say the same thing:

At Level 3, a character could have 6 ranks in six different areas for 6 skill points. At level 5 8 ranks in 8 areas. It seems a bit counter-intuiative, normally mastery comes at the expense of breadth.

I think that I will stick with the SRD description above.

Like with Nate's Craft (blacksmith, armoursmith, silversmith type stuff), allowing Skill Focus to be taken as a +2 bonus across multiple types of perform (instead of the +3 to a single Skill) seems reasonable. Some synergies also make sense - like Act and Comedy, or (Instrument type) and Sing.
Sounds good :) For now, I'll go with all four ranks in pan pipe then, and just use the Cha bonus with the other types - Bardic music and it's progression will be a little useless if the ranks are diluted. I may broaden if I decide not to go that route.

Looking at the SRD on Wizards, I see you're right, BTW. I had bookmarked the one on www.http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/srdskillsii.rtf, which, despite saying it's the 3.5 SRD, is, well, different. :( (I gotta buy me those 3.5e books sometime :))

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Maerdwyn said:
Sounds good :) For now, I'll go with all four ranks in pan pipe then, and just use the Cha bonus with the other types - Bardic music and it's progression will be a little useless if the ranks are diluted. I may broaden if I decide not to go that route.

Maerdwyn, as I read it, you chose a catagory rather than a single type of instrument, method or technique. So if you want to play the pipes, you would take Perform (wind instruments). This gives you a bit more breadth and also avoids the nececssisty of having to deciding where the line lies between instruments, techniques and methods.

Maerdwyn said:
Looking at the SRD on Wizards, I see you're right, BTW. I had bookmarked the one on www.http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/srdskillsii.rtf, which, despite saying it's the 3.5 SRD, is, well, different. :( (I gotta buy me those 3.5e books sometime :))

I use these two online 3.5 SRD's rather than the .rtf files. You can also download them (although I have had difficulty with this: incomplete downloads/missing files) They both seem to be fairly accurate and are updated to reflect errata as far as I can tell.

* theraven & stephenh

* Sovelior & Sage

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Oh, wow. A chance to play in a world made by doghead, partially taken from Fajitas, and populated (partially) by Maerdwyn? Are there still those 2 slots open? I'd love to join, if you'll have me.

doghead

thotd
Hey Seonaid

I'd love to have you. The character creation details are on the first page. If you use the build notes at the bottom of the character template, it really makes it quicker and easier to confirm everything. Let me know what lines you are thinking along, and we can sort out how to slot you in.

I want to get the ic thread started asap. I've got three characters completed or near completion so, with a little luck, that will be some time in the next few days.

the head of the dog.

doghead

thotd
DrZombie said:
What's the ability for spot? Wis

How does a buckler work into all of this (that is, if you allow for nate to have a buckler with his large hammer thinghy.)

You would need Shield AP. From the 3.5 SRD: Buckler: This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.

BTW - I know we have talked about the hammer thingy - where did we get to on it. Do you remember?

DrZombie said:
Do I get synergie bonusses from one smithing craft to another? Allright, maybe it's a bit munchkin, but hey, if I spend 15 skill points in flavor skills that have little use in-game (okay, so I might be able to repair my own armor and weaponry, that is, if I can find a smithy I can use, somewhere in the middle of nowhere), I might as well be good at it...

I allowed the Skill Focus feat to apply to all three of the Craft skills because they are tightly related. At least, so long as you are working in metal I suppose. I think some form of skill sysnergy may be possible, but I'll hold judgement on waht exactly till it comes into play - perhaps it would be better to think of them as circumstance bonuses. We'll see. As I said to Maerdwyn, I'm all for a little creative use of 'soft' skills.

DrZombie said:
Thinking about the lebvelless system, and how to prevent abuse : what about spells? I mean, you can see the first lvl as a class feat, and then the next levels as progress feats or whatsname, but (and yes, there is a point to my rambling) why would you ever take the bard/ranger/palladin progression when you might as well have the sorc/cleric progression for the same money? Just my two cents, as I'm thinking, depending on how in-game play goes, of making nate into a raging palladin or cleric or wossname.

A raging palladin or cleric or wossname? Or a cleric of wossname. :)

Crunch wise it probably makes more sense to take the cleric or sorceror spellcasting level X ability than the palladin one. But then, you can build a palladin by adding smite and turn to a fighter, without ever having to take any sissy spells. You're right though. Munchikin field days. I thought I would just ignore the problem until it became a problem.

If anyone has any elegant solutions ...

CHARACTER NOTES

DrZombie said:
Level 1 [12 CP build]
bab: 0.5 + 0.5 [2]
base saves: will +1, will +1 [1]
skill points: 4 + 1 [human] + 2 [int] + 2 [1] = 9x4 = 36
feats: light ap [auto], simple wp [auto], entry: power attack [human], entry: skill focus (craft) [4], entry: Exotic wp (large hammer) [4].

Level 2 [8 pt build]
bab: 0.5 + 0.5 [2]
base saves: Fort +1 [auto], Will +1 [1]
Skill points : 4 + 1 [human] + 2 [int] = 7
feats : Rage 1/d [5]

DrZ. Exotic WP is a progression from simple WP, so it only costs [3CP]. Otherwise it looks fine.

Header: Nate is level 2. You don't need to include the Build points, but if you want to - 12/8 Build is better. 12 for level 1, 8 for each subsequent level.

Defense: +4 [+2 BAB, + 2 dex]

Skills: Search 5/+7 [+2 Int], Spot 5/+7 [+2 Wis]

Equipment: Could you let me know where you keep the half finished silver rose. The Large Hammer is something you are looking to craft rather than something you have now?

doghead

doghead

thotd
Just a quick though. Maerdywn included the armour check penalties for the appropriate skills. Nice. If you could add those it would be appreciated.

Also, remember that the Crit stats are different in gng. It took me a moment to work out what the numbers represented on Maerdwyn's character sheet. :p

Seonaid

Explorer
Thanks, doghead. I unfortunately was tired enough this morning that I didn't think to bring my books to work, so I can't get a character up until later. I'll look at the stuff you posted, and come up with a concept though.

Seonaid

Explorer
Is there a post somewhere about your concepts, or do we just make up concepts out of whole cloth?
Edit: It looks like you're using the NPCs from the DMG?

DrZombie's character reminds me a lot of Perrin from Wheel of Time, so I was thinking something like Lan. It would be basically a ranger build, I think.
Edit2: Or, something like Joscelin from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series. Joscelin is not really a ranger (and much less so than Lan), but the idea behind the character is similar (maybe) to what I want.

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Character Notes

Garival (gair' ih vahl)
Human Male 2
Concept: Landcarl

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 190 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Dark blonde

Initiative: +3 [+3 Dex, +0 Feat]
Speed: 30 ft.
Defense: +5 [+2 BDB, +3 Dex, +0 Size, +0 Shield]
Soak: +4 [+2 Con, +0 Size, +2 Armour, +0 Natural Armour]
BAB: +2
* melee +1 dagger (1d4+1, 8+/x2) (primary hand)
* melee +1 dagger (1d4+1, 8+/x2) (off hand)
* ranged +5 sling (1d4+3, 10+/x2, 50 ft.)
Full Attack: ---
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: ---
Special Qualities: ---
Saves: Fortitude 1/+3, Reflex 1/+4, Will 0/+1.
Abilities: Str 12 (+1), Dex 16 (+3), Con 14 (+2), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
Skills: Hide 2/+5 [+3 Dex], Listen 2/+3 [+1 Wis], Move Silently 3/+6 [+3 Dex], Search 2/+2 [+0 Int], Spot 3/+6 [+1 Wis], Survival 2/+3 [+1 Wis]
Feats: light ap [auto], simple wp [auto], entry: Track [human], Shield Proficiency [3], Two-Weapon Fighting [4], Endurance [4], Alertness [4]
Language: Common
Equipment:
* Worn/Carried: Explorer's outfit (0 lb.), leather armor (15 lb.).
* In Backpack: Bedroll (5 lb.), winter blanket (3 lb.), 2 candles (0 lb.), 50 ft. hempen rope (10 lb.), 2 days' trail rations (2 lb.), waterskin (4 lb.), whetstone (1 lb.).
* In Pouch: Flint & steel (0 lb.), 20 sling bullets (10 lb.).
* On Mount: ---

Appearance: Garival is a tall, muscular man. He has clear blue eyes. His hair is dark blonde and hangs a bit below his shoulders. He keeps it tightly bound with a plain leather cord. His hands are callused with weaponswork, and his skin is tanned from being outside most of his life.

Personality: Garival believes the best defense lies in showing no emotion. He is stoic, taciturn, and serious. However, he is also young and has been known to be reckless, though those instances are few and far between. He has a strong sense of loyalty, and will do anything for those who have earned it. If his trust is ever betrayed, it would probably shake him to his core.

Backstory:

-- Build Notes --

Level 1 [12 CP build]
bab: 0.5 [auto], +1 [2 CP]
base saves: Ref +1 [auto]
skill points: 4 [auto] = 1*4 = 4 + 6 [3] = 10
feats: light ap [auto], simple wp [auto], entry: Track [human], Shield Proficiency [3], Two-Weapon Fighting [4]

Level 2 [8 CP build]
bab: 0.5 [auto]
bases saves: Fort +1 [auto]
skills points: 4 [auto] = 4
feats: Endurance [4], Alertness [4]

Last edited:

Remove ads