[OOC] Heroes of the Middle Reaches : Wandering Star

The Digger

First Post
OK I think I've decided.

Level 2: Amulet of Physical Resolve: +1 Fort, Ref, Will: +2 bonus to saves vs poison and to effects that render you weakened, slowed or immobilized.

Level 2: Veteran's Leather Armour: +1 AC; When an action point is spent gain +1 item bonus to all attack rolls and defences till end of next turn.
Daily Power: Spend action point: no extra action but regain use of an expended daily power.

Level 3: Swiftshot crossbow: +1 to attack and damage: Loading is a free action; Crit 1d6 damage [per plus]
Encounter Power: Make a ranged basic attack as a minor action.

Level 4: Acidic Dagger: Light Blade +1 to attack and damage: 1d6 acid damage per plus:
Encounter Power: Make basic melee attack at target within 5 squares. All damage is acid damage.
Daily Power: Free Action: When I hit I can deal 5 ongoing acid damage (save ends)

Level 5: Gloves of Agility: +1 item bonus to Acrobatics, Stealth and Dexterity checks (not Dex attacks)

And no, Sparky, I haven't selected Wavestrider Boots! Have you seen the size of that shark's tooth? Walking on water would be like offering the canape tray!

helium3

First Post
I can see why you all want the veteran's armor. I think I'm gonna have to ask for that in the RL game I'm playing in. It's an interesting item in that it's MUCH sexier at lower levels when you have less daily powers to use.

helium3

First Post
All right.

You're all rested, you're reasonably sure that there's no one lurking about within the building, you've found some valuable and a giant shark's tooth in the Sea Devil's back pack.

What now?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I'll read them through again and post questions tomorrow if something is unclear for me. This is currently my only 4e game so I'm not quite sure on everything.

The Digger

First Post
I've taken part in a couple now and there still seems to be some confusion about them. Five questions have been raised during these challenges:

1. Is the challenge to be strictly in Initiative order or not?
2. Does everyone have to take part?
3. Can you keep using the same skill? i.e. Paladin and his Diplomacy.
4. Aid Another. DC10: Can you aid only before a skill is used or can you throw in an aid after a skill has been used and failed?
5. DC levels: Errated or not errated

helium3

First Post
We've been fiddling about with them and have found that taking the rules too literally tends to limit their usefulness and create some weird situations.

1. Is the challenge to be strictly in Initiative order or not?

Only if it's a challenge where initiative order would matter for some reason. I would tell you up front if that were the case and ask everyone to roll.

2. Does everyone have to take part?
We've had some problems with this one as well and the answer is, generally yes unless there's a really good narrative reason for why a player shouldn't take part or wouldn't be there. Generally I frown on players skipping out on a skill challenge just because it tailors to skills their character's isn't strong in.

3. Can you keep using the same skill? i.e. Paladin and his Diplomacy.
It depends on the skills. For the primary skills of a challenge the answer is nearly always yes. For the secondary skills it depends no how the challenge is structured and the skill in question.

4. Aid Another. DC10: Can you aid only before a skill is used or can you throw in an aid after a skill has been used and failed?
Only before. No more than 4 aid another's can be applied to a single skill check.

5. DC levels: Errated or not errated
That's a good question. I need to look at that one. I knew there was errata but I haven't paid much attention to it since I hadn't been experiencing the problems with skill challenges that others had.

The Digger

First Post
You're going the same way I've interpreted the challenges.
1. sometimes
2.probably
3.Yes but it can be fun to find 'odd' skill use
4.Only before and up to 4
5. Basically the errata reduces the DC. In other games the GMs used common sense in this. Easy DCs for quite easy challenges and insane DCs for really terrifying ones!

Looking forward to what you've got planned!

Remove ads