OOC - Mad King's Monkey (Thread Closed)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Uh, I have never used it, but I have a question on Ghost Sound. Can it be cast to actually say something like, "I see someone on the roof," or is it only supposed to be vague talking noises non descriptive?

just for info: "A horde of rats running and squeaking is about the same volume as eight humans running and shouting"

this does not sound descript enough to me do that, but that is my 2 coppers. maybe magic mouth.

doghead

thotd
Uh, I have never used it, but I have a question on Ghost Sound. Can it be cast to actually say something like, "I see someone on the roof," or is it only supposed to be vague talking noises non descriptive?

I would be inclined to say no. You can specify that the targets hear angry voices, or singing for example, but not actual words or songs heard. That is in the imagination of the target.

The reason I ask is that this DEAF curse is kind of interesting for a character build and something that would be a first for me as well. - 4 to Initiative (no biggie), auto fails Perception checks based on sound, and -4 penalty to opposed Perception checks.

I would cast all spells as if modified with Silent Spell feat. The bonuses after a few levels even this all out to some rather nice bonuses of +3 to perception, no initiative penalty, scent ability, and eventually (but unlikely to get that high of a level) tremorsense 30 feet.

Dual-Cursed with Haunted and Deaf. Traumatic experience early on caused ___ to constantly hear voices, supernatural things happen around ___ and they are unable to hear natural voices again. Thematically, they go better than Haunted and Lame. Question is, would a deaf character be able to counterspell? I see nothing preventing it, but wanted to ask, to be ready and know what I am getting into.

Yes. The DC may be higher if there is a verbal component to the spell as the deaf character would be unable to use that aspect of the spell to help identify it. That been said, silent spell doesn't make spells harder to counter spell according to the RAW, so probably being deaf shouldn't.

Silent spell does mean any spell with verbal components uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level, if I am reading it correctly. Which seems like a fairly hefty penalty.

A bit more info on deafness from the PF SRD pages:

The following information is not official in terms of general campaign usage. It is copied from the Pathfinder Society Organized Play FAQ section because we thought it might be helpful information for a player or GM in adjudicating common problems or questions. Usage is up to the GM of your game.

What does a deaf PC (or other creature) need to do in order to read lips?

Any PC may learn to read lips with a rank in Linguistics as if they had learned a new language. When reading the lips of a speaking creature within 10 feet in normal lighting conditions, the reader need not make any skill checks. In situations of dim lighting, extreme distances, or to read the lips of someone trying to hide their words from the reader, the reader must make Perception checks (DC determined by the GM based on the situation). A lip reader may only understand spoken words in a language it knows.

I have mixed feelings about the uses of curses, disadvantages, drawbacks etc, in games. Generally the mechanics of the disadvantage only address the condition in the most limited way. In other words, the disadvantage will potentially have a much impact greater impact than the simple application of the mechanics.

In my experience, disadvantages work when the player sees the disadvantage as integral to the character, and more than just a means to gain some extra Build Points or abilities. The unexpected costs of the disadvantages therefore enhance their experience, or further motivation for the character in their quest to rid themselves of the disadvantage.

In the case where you have a Simulation-ist DM (as I tend to be) and a Game-ist player, it can lead to tension and un-fun. Let me know what you think.

thotd

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
How many of you are non-posters over the weekend periods?

Or perhaps a better question would be are there periods when you typically are away from the keyboard?

thotd

Scott DeWar

So, a bard for then!!

[sblock=Character Generation]

Each character will be able to speak, in addition to Common, the native tongue of his or her homeland.

Up to two non-class skills can be added to the class skills for the character if written into the background.

Here you will find the Four Oracles. Select one Oracle for your character and note it down along with the associated four cards and their descriptors. You may cast as often as you like, but all four cards must come from the same oracle and the same cast. During the game you may use an appropriate oracle to take control of the game and re-write the situation as you so choose in terms of the oracle. Once used, that card is scratched. I have not tried this before, and am not sure how it will work. But regardless, I suspect that it will be interesting.

[/sblock]
Jan Maatson male human Bard 1
[sblock]
STR: 10 Bonus +0 cost 0
DEX: 14 Bonus +2 cost 5
CON:11 Bonus +0 cost 1
INT:14 Bonus +2 cost 5
WIS:12 Bonus +1 cost 2
CHA:16 Bonus +3 cost 5 race: +2

SAVES
* Fort: +0 [Base 0, +0Con]
* Ref: +4 [Base 2, +2 Dex]
* Will: +3 [Base 2, +1 Wis]

ENCUMBRANCE
* Light 30' Carry xxlbs)
* Medium 30' ( Carry xxlbs, MaxDex +3, Check -3)
* Heavy x0' (Carry xxxlbs, MaxDex +1, Check -6)

COMBAT
* Attacks 1
* Melee +0 [BAB +0, Str +0]
* Ranged +2 [BAB +0, Dex+2]
* Initiative +2 [Dex +2]
* Armour Class 16 [Base 10, Armour +3, shield +1, Dex +2]
** flat foot: 13
** touch: 13
** special: with -1 att get +1 dodge bonus
* HP 8/8 HD 1d8

WEAPONS [ranged attack]
* Long sword +0 (Dam 1d8 , 19/20 x2')
* Club +0 [+2] (Dam 1d6 , Crit x2, Rng 10')
* Daggar +0 [+2] (Dam 1d4 , Crit 19/20 x2, Rng 10')
* Short Bow [+2] (Dam 1d6, Crit x3, Rng 60')

TRAITS
* Desperate Focus
* Savant

FEATS
* [human] Combat Expertise
** [char. lv 5] Improved Feint
* [char. lv 1] Lingering Performance
** [char lv 3] Harmonic Spell

CLASS FEATS
* Bardic knowledge +1/2 lv to know skills, make checks untrained
* bardic performance [00000 00]
** countersong
** distraction
** fascinate
** inspire courage +1
* cantrips

SKILLS [6 [class] +2 [int] +1 [race] +1 [fav]] * 1 [level] = 10
Code:
* [I][B]Acrobatics[/B][/I]:         +2  [ranks --, Dex +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Appraise[/B][/I]:           +2  [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Bluff[/B][/I]:              +7  [ranks 1, Cha +3, class +3]  
* [I][B]Climb[/B][/I]:              +0  [ranks --, Str +0]      [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Craft (Art)[/B][/I]:        +6  [ranks 1, Int +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Diplomacy[/B][/I]:          +3  [ranks --, Cha +3, class +3]  [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Disguise[/B][/I]:           +3  [ranks --, Cha +3, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Escape Artist[/B][/I]:      +2  [ranks --, Dex +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* Handle Animal:      --  [ranks 0, Cha +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* Heal:               +1  [ranks --, Wis +1]      [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Knowledge (Arcana)[/B][/I]:
                      +6  [ranks --, Int +2, class +3, misc (1) +1] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Knowledge (Dungeon)[/B][/I]:
* [I][B]Knowledge (Engineering)[/B][/I]:
* [I][B]Knowledge (Geography)[/B][/I]:
                      +7  [ranks 1, Int +2, class +3, misc (1) +1] 
* [I][B]Knowledge (History)[/B][/I]:     
* [I][B]Knowledge (Local)[/B][/I]:       
* [I][B]Knowledge (Nature)[/B][/I]:      
* [I][B]Knowledge (Netherworld)[/B][/I]: 
* [I][B]Knowledge (Nobility)[/B][/I]:    
* [I][B]Knowledge (Planes)[/B][/I]:      
* [I][B]Knowledge (Religion)[/B][/I]:    
* [I][B]Linguistics[/B][/I]:        +0  [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Perception[/B][/I]:         +5  [ranks 1, Wis +1, class +3]
* [I][B]Perform: Wind[/B][/I]:      +7  [ranks 1, Cha +3, class +3]
* [I][B]Perform: Singing[/B][/I]:   +7  [ranks 1, Cha +3, class +3]
* Ride:               +2  [ranks --, Dex +2]      [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Sense Motive[/B][/I]:       +1  [ranks --, Wis +1, class +3] 
* [I][B]Sleight of Hand[/B][/I]:    +2  [ranks --, Dex +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Spellcraft[/B][/I]:         +2  [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Stealth[/B][/I]:            +6  [ranks 1, Dex +2, class +3] 
* Survival:           +1  [ranks --, Wis +1]      [U]untrained[/U]
* Swim:               +0  [ranks --, Str +0]      [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Use Magic Dev.[/B][/I]:      +3  [ranks --, Cha +3, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]

EQUIPMENT
Code:
Armour
* Studded Leather [25 gp 20 lb]
* Buckler          [5 gp 5 lb]
** Total          [30 gp 25 lb]

Weapons
* club        [0 gp 3 lbs]
* Long Sword [15 gp 4 lbs]
* Dagger x2   [4 gp 2 lbs]
* Shortbow   [30 gp 2 lbs]
* Arrows x20  [1 gp 3 lbs]
** Total    [50 gp 14 lbs]

Handy Haversack [2000 gp 5 lbs]
* Bedroll        [.1 gp 5 lbs]
* Blanket        [.2 gp 3 lbs]
* Lantern-Hooded [7 gp 2 lbs]
* Oil x 10         [1 gp 10 lb]
* trail rations x 14         [7 gp 14 lbs]
* Waterskin [4 lbs (full)]
* Cold Weather Outfit [8 gp 7 lbs]
* Travel Outfit [s][-- gp5 lbs][/s] wearing
* Tinder twig x 10 [10 gp -- lb]T
* flute, reed [5 gp 3 lbs]
* Rope, hemp x 100' [2 gp 20 lb]
* journal, blank [10 gp 1 lb]
** Total [2054.3 gp 5 lbs]
total weight carried: 44 lbs
MONEY
:: PP   
:: GP 45
:: SP 6
:: CP 10
[/sblock]

Spells known:

Cantrips [unlimited]

Dancing Lights
Detect Magic
Prestidigitation
Resistance

Level 1 [00]

Cure light
Ear-Piercing Scream

APPEARANCE

[sblock=BACKGROUND]
Jan Maatson really was quiet as a child, didn't play much with the other kids. Some said simple, but his parents could see the intelligence behind his eyes. Like a sponge in a sea of knowledge. His mother died when he was 8 of an unknown illness. This left his father, a teamster driver, to raise him on the go. Jan learned much on the road, where he met a kindly old minstrel whose music kept the animals calm and focused by playing his lute during travels. He wold ride with Jan and his father during trips across the land and between gates telling of things, of places, of people of far away lands, and Jan was the ever vigilant sponge, soaking every bit of it up.

By the time he was 12, The minstrel, adept in many musical instruments, had taught Jan how to play a reed flute, so for his birthday his father bought him one. The two of them would play together for hours on end at camp fire, on the road or at inns during the merchant trips. for another year he would remain so, until a fateful trip across neverwhere. Neverwhere is what he called the land if the Netherworld. Not here, not there, yet both here and there.

It was at the midway point of a long 3 hour trek through mid-gates, as the old minstrel would call the nether regions, at a cross roads. As always, clearly marked with cairn stones, wagon ruts and the crossing path was overgrown. Yet not. One of the wagons, third from the front hit a jut in the road and broke one of its wheels, stopping the train as a whole. [Jan got down to stretch his legs and walked down the line of wagons when out of the corner of his eye he sees what looks like recent movement across the cross path's overgrowth. Young but never impetuous, [Jan wanders off unnoticed. There was no need to keep an eye out for him. Every one knows to NEVER stray the paths. He has never wandered away in the netherlands, but this time he did.

Not far down the path he finds a figure lying on the ground bleeding, a human man by sights, just taller. Until he moved and his ears were seen. Pointed. Eyes shaped as almonds. He looks at the boy and asks for help in a strange lilting accent. He asked Jan to help him stand, and as he was taught to be kind to others he did. The stranger hands his pack on his back to the boy and says, "Take these to your guards, I will hold IT back. Now run!" He did, as fast as he could. When he arrived back, his father and others were calling for him with worry in their voices.

"Da! DA!" he arrives breathless, his father's face pales to see the direction he arrives from. [Jan Maatson reaches in to see what the strange-man sent him with and finds a bundle of 20 arrows of exquisite make. "The strange-man told me to give these to the guards while he holds it off."

"Who told you you to do this?" suddenly the blood curdling scream can be heard.

"him" says the lad weakly. Dad Maatson scoops the arrows and gets them to the first guard and tells him, "You will need these. Don't ask." [Jan Maatson is dragged into the wagon by his father, the guards taking the arrows and getting the wagons moving. As the wagons move on the guards are seen sending a volley of arrows. He never knew what they fought, all the guards came back, many injured. He never knew who the strange-man was or what he and the guards fought.

Now days he learns from other travelers, traveling himself as a caravan guard or speaking with his ols mentor. His father still works the caravans. The backpack, it had more then it should have: weapons cold weather clothing, supplies. So very much but impossible to have fit. He took his meager earnings and combined it with what the pack held and started his career as a guard for the trans gate caravans.
[/sblock]

[sblock=journal]
page 1
who was the strange-man with the long pointed ears and almond shaped eyes. He gave his life and what seemed his prized possession, a magical backpack and its contents of travel gear, weapons and a quiver of magnificent arrows, to save the wagon train, though he knew us not and we not him.

What did he fight? The guards prevailed, but refuse to tell of what they saw. I shall be patient and wait for one to talk. I will join on as a guard myself. Da will understand. I will start with his wagon train.
[/sblock]

OOC: so, did you like this background?

x

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

How many of you are non-posters over the weekend periods?

Or perhaps a better question would be are there periods when you typically are away from the keyboard?

thotd

Saturday is tabletop game day, Wednesday is physical therapy and mid week church. otherwise, any other.

doghead

thotd
So, a bard for then!!

OOC: so, did you like this background?

x

As I read the background I thought that I was going to have to red pen a fair chunk of it. But then I realised that it wasn't necessary, which I was quite pleased about. There is sufficient ambiguity in it to allow for the possibility of several 'truths'; what Exx believes happened, how others will explain what happened, what really happened. There may even be a plot hook or two in there I can keep tucked away for another day. It is good background.

The Handy Haversack is an interesting choice.

No musical instruments? And a related question I suppose, have you chosen at type of performance for the Savant trait?

I assume from the Redacted inserts that Exx isn't the character's name as I had originally thought. Or am I missing something?

thotd

doghead

thotd
The Characters so far:

Axel - Bayer, Fighter 1
Electric - Sukri, Rogue 1
Fangor - XXX, Oracle 1
Gostcat - Libros, Sorcerer 1
Scott - Exx, Bard 1

(Let me know if you have a preferred abbreviation of your login.)

An interesting mix. I am still open to any ideas that you might have about why the party is working together. But in the absence of anything particularly concrete at this stage, I am going to put forward a suggestion.

I am thinking that I might tie the group together by putting your characters all in the service of the local Frieherr (Baron). Or better still, perhaps in the service of the Kanzler (Chancellor) of the local Frieherr.

These are troubled times. The young Duke is said to be ill, and he has no male heir. Two great neighbouring powers are rattling their sabres, while returned mercenaries from the last war still carry on their trade across the Duchy as bandits. Dark clouds roll across the once featureless sky of the Netherworld. And the ancient fair folk have reportedly been seen in the courts of man for the first time in three generations.

These are troubled times and so the Kanzler has begun taking precautions against the possibility of troubled times ahead. He has taken into his employ a number of new people, young men of unusual talents, but still men with some measure of some skill at and experience with handling themselves in unusual, even dangerous circumstances. But no so much reputation that their hiring would drawn notice.

That been said, and it was never really said so much as implied, the new employees have found themselves largely put to work in the day to day running of the Chancellor's household. Since their employment, they will have spoken to the Chancellor himself but a few times. They work as directed by the senior members of the Chancellor's household; his Statthalter (Steward), his Kammermeister (Chamberlain), or Marschall (Marshal). The work has been largely mundane so far. But the pay is decent, and regular, the food good and the cots are warm.

Apologies for the 'narrative voice'. I keep slipping into it when laying out ideas. As I said, if you have other suggestions as to why the characters are working together, feel free to make them. If you are happy with the above, give some thought to why your character's name was put forward as someone potentially of usefulness, who suggested it and how they know of your character. Post it up if you can, I would be interested to see what you think.

Finally, I have been tossing up giving the setting a vaguely Germanic feel. Hence the cut-and-paste use of german terminology. Double apologies for anyone who actually speaks German or has some real knowledge of the period and is offended by by brutal disregard for linguistic and historical accuracy. Let me know if it is too horrible to bare.

Remove ads