OOC - Mad King's Monkey (Thread Closed)

doghead

thotd
Hello Fangor.

Just to be clear. I am not proposing a multi-setting setting. Its an option, but just that at this time.

Things do seem to be quieter here now. When I started, games could fill in 24 hours, and many were oversubscribed. Indeed, people used to start games just for newbies in order to give them a change to get in on a game. One of my first games was such a game, run by Jemal IIRC.

So, we have two expressions of interest at this point. I think 3-5 is a good number of characters. So lets use 4 as our tripwire for getting started on deciding on a setting.

Until then, feel free to keep throwing around ideas.

thotd

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
What do we have so far...

- 3 players (maybe the DM can play an NPC to fill a role)

- a blank word that could be accessed by portals to get around from place to place

- a simple adventure that would be over pretty quick

- doghead said pick a theme for the party (probably best after a system is picked)

Scott votes pathfinder
ghostcat prefers pathfinder
FtF - either will do

So I think Pathfinder it is.

doghead can you elaborate on the theme - did you want all rogues? a no spellcasters party? All elves? What about the group being related and in search of a relative or mentor?

HM

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
What do we have so far...

- 3 players (maybe the DM can play an NPC to fill a role)

- a blank world that could be accessed by portals to get around from place to place

- a simple adventure that would be over pretty quick

- doghead said pick a theme for the party (probably best after a system is picked)

Scott votes pathfinder
ghostcat prefers pathfinder
FtF - either will do

So I think Pathfinder it is.

doghead can you elaborate on the theme - did you want all rogues? a no spellcasters party? All elves? What about the group being related and in search of a relative or mentor?

HM
in search of a mentor who had a secret room with this teleport pad in it?

also on research. i found this link:
Magic - Pathfinder_OGC

doghead

thotd
Scott, if you are able to join, you are welcome to.

Pathfinder does seem to be the game of choice.

HM, thats pretty much it, with the exception of the theme. You guys can choose the theme of the group. I wasn't thinking so much in terms of race or class. I was thinking more along the line of profession or background - the characters are all young tearaways from the same village or town, or all members of a caravan guard company, or all foresters in the service of the local lord, etc. Essentially, something that unites the characters as a group from the get go.

thotd

ghostcat

First Post
Cor get distracted by RL for a couple of days and you lot have almost designed the world :)

My thoughts are that the differences in culture and technology of each slice will depend on how the portals are perceived. As I see it there are three main scenarios:

1. Where the general population know of the gates, it as something out of a myth. The gates position and operation is know only to a handful of adventures and explorers.

In this case the culture and technology of each slice will be
distinct.

2. The portals are not generally known about and are controlled by a single organisation: church, druids, traders guild, etc.

In this case, the actual effect on the culture and technology
will depend on the organisation's aims. For instance a church
will be trying to convert the people but wouldn't care less
about technology. While a trade organisation would equalise
technology but wouldn't give a fig about the culture.

3. The portals are generally know about and used. They could still be under the control of a guild but in this case the guild simply charges for their use.

In this case, cultures and technology would be more in line
with what exists on present day earth.

Comment?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Well we could be at the forefront of discovery, where other locations might have 'guild control' over pads. We. the town's most carefree, what were the words?
the characters are all young tearaways from the same village or town

Ah, tearaways. Carefree tearaway youthful upstarts that are full of adventurous wanderlust. They could become the local guild masters of the pad in time.

Perhaps.

If we can talk dog moon into making this a long term game.

Man, I need to join this game. Epic Bob will be mad at me.

Axel

First Post
I've been slowly hunting for a new game, currently down to two with the same (very good) DM. I'll put my hand up happily, especially if it's Pathfinder. :)

Way back when I first read the first book of Conn Iggulden's Mongol/Ghengis Khan series I thought a Mongol or raiding campaign would be good fun. Humans on horses is an obvious choice, but my mind is unfortunately in the real world. You could also use fantasy cavalry like snakes, or elves, or duergar on giant lizards, or tritons, or flying fey, or vikings on ships, or angry Celtish tribes....... This theme would fit in well with the 'fragmented world' concept proposed earlier.

Call it a nightmare world or whatever...each 'island' constantly raiding it's neighbour in a kill-or-be-killed scenario.

doghead

thotd
Hello Axel. It would seem that we are going with Pathfinder, so that's all good.

So, now we are three, with Scott a possible forth. Time to move on the setting and character creation. I will however, leave the thread open for recruiting.

I must confess that the whole portal linked multi-setting is a little out of my comfort zone. Which is good, it will be a challenge. But it does mean that I am going to be asking for a little bit more from you so that I can try build something that works for everyone.

More specifically, can everyone post up a brief description of what you imagine your characters doing - the kind of stuff that runs through your head when you are sitting at work daydreaming about the game. I have a few ideas, but I am not sure that what I have in my head is quite what you have in yours at the moment. Anything that you can post up would help. It doesn't have to be an essay, nor does it matter too much at this stage if what is in your head is not the same as what is in the other player's. Once I have an idea of what you are looking for, I will use it to create the basic outline of the setting and more importantly, shape the first few adventures.

Ideally, I would love to see this go on to be a long term game. But for the moment, I just want to have a go at walking first. More specifically, for me as a DM the priority is to avoid getting bogged down the details, which I have been guilty of doing.

If can get a couple of adventures under our belt, then we can see how we are travelling. At that point, based on past experience, I suspect I will have already started daydreaming about 'grand designs' for the game.

thotd

Remove ads