OOC - Mad King's Monkey (Thread Closed)

doghead

thotd
Apologies for the delay in getting that up. It took much longer that I expected, and while I was writing it became obvious that I was also going to have to also give you more information on the setting in general if we are to move forward. While the Netherworld will play a part in the characters adventures, it will not be the only environment that they operate in by a long shot.

The Reaches of Man encompasses all of the humans settlements of the known world. These range from the Imperium, whose legions have trod the earth of much of the known world, to tiny frontier settlements scrabbling out an existence on the edges of civilisation days and days travel from the nearest gate. Within the Reaches we can include pretty much any setting we like. However, for simplicity I am going to limit the settings to those with vaguely historical parallels. As for the characters 'home' setting, I am going to make it a fairly vanilla D&D, perhaps with some Teutonic sprinkles for flavour maybe, unless you wish otherwise.

Before jumping into character generation, you guys need to decide who your characters are, why they are working together and how they fit into the world. I would suggest a group reasonably equipped with the skills required for travelling, not so much in the Netherworld, but the normal one. I am also going to suggest that the bard might be a good option. I am not yet sure how exactly, but I think the bards counter-song and inspire abilities have potential. The dangers of the Netherworld are going to be much less physical than those of the normal world. That been said, don't feel obligated to take a bard if you don't want to.

I am going to limit to choice of race to human. This is because I have not yet decided how the non-human races are going to fit in, or even if they are there at all. If you are particularly set on playing another race, PM me.

Ok, two final thoughts. Firstly, nothing is set in stone at this point. Feel free to ask questions, offer suggestions etc. Secondly, ... umm, I can't remember what I was going to say. That is probably because getting old not only entitles you to be grumpy, but also make you prone to forgetfulness.

thotd

doghead

thotd
I tend to prefer the roguish type of characters, jack-of-all trades for the most part. I see it as the chance that this character gets the opportunity to see many places, learn new stuff, hone his skills. He likes exploring. If he gets to do it while getting paid, even better!

Ping Pong! ... Umm, what I mean to say is that should be a pretty good choice.

can we get a roll call for the benefit of the DM stating possible class/ race choices so we don't get too many peeps going for the same thing?

Here. Again, apologies for the delay. Hopefully the above should answer some of your questions about race and class. All of the Core classes are fine. I have no experience with the Base classes, but they look fine with the exception of the Gunslinger. There are no guns in the game. The alchemist seems a bit naff.

I don't usually play magic using types, and generally don't pay them much attention unless they are trying to kill my character. And I I have just realised that the whole 'don't sleep in the Netherworld' is going to play havoc with the wizard, or perhaps its the sorcerer, or both. I will give it some thought. I don't want to mess with the basic balance and function of the classes.

No psionics! Thats what I was going to say! I like psionics, but not mixed in with magic. Either one or the other, and in this instance, its the other.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Crunchy Bits

First level, 18 point build, max HP at first level, max starting wealth.

Each character will be able to speak, in addition to Common, the native tongue of his or her homeland.

Up to two non-class skills can be made class skills for the character if written into the background.

Knowledge (Netherworld).

Each character may start with one magic item of up to 2500gp in value. All you have to do write a description as to how it came into your character's possession. If you want to take something consumable, like potions or scrolls or feather tokens you may take a number of that item up to 2500gp. You cannot mix and match items. This is not a 2500gp spending spree. You don't get to keep the difference.

Here you will find the Four Oracles. Select one Oracle for your character and note it down along with the associated four cards and their descriptors. You may cast as often as you like, but all four cards must come from the same oracle and the same cast. During the game you may use an appropriate oracle to take control of the game and re-write the situation as you so choose in terms of the oracle. Once used, that card is scratched. I have not tried this before, and am not sure how it will work. But regardless, I suspect that it will be interesting.

thotd

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Sorry for been a bit late with my character concept. But, hay, better late than never.

Orphan, maybe adopted by one of the other characters' parents. He never knew his parents. As he enters pubity he starts to develop Sorcerous powers.

doghead

thotd
No need to apologies Ghostcat. We have only just got to the party/character generation stage. A fair bit of new information has gone up recently however, which you will want to read if you have not already.

thotd

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I was looking at the Oracles and wondered if we should each choose an oracle for each character? Mainly due to the possibility of duplicate cards for characters. Just wondering, but I think I will more than likely go with the Unquiet Past oracle, as those lend towards the roguish type of character that I see my character using.

Has anyone else taken a look at those Oracles? Some are a bit vague, while others are pretty specific. Plenty of opportunity for some good discussion and role play with the things that come up from the cards.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The way I see them working is to introduce a hook/scenario into the story to keep it either moving, change the current circumstance, or to simply alleviate us from coming up with everything on the whim.

Remove ads