OOC - Mad King's Monkey (Thread Closed)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Fangor, since October 30, 2011 I have spent more time in ERs then I will admit. In fact, I got to say happy thanksgiving to a nurse that knew me from the first surgery on that night.

They are never fun, but I am very glad your are home now. I pray all will be well.

doghead

thotd
I have added a little more information to the campaign wiki. I am slowly trying to build it into a more coherent whole. But for the most part it is mostly about the region you are in at the moment.

By default, I am assuming that your characters are from the Duchy of Hesse, speak SaxHessian (in addition to common) etc. If you have other ideas, let me know. I am happy for your characters to come from pretty much anywhere you want. But post your ideas here first. Please do not create any new campaign pages at this stage.

Don't worry about rolling for Perception, Stealth, Sense Motive, etc checks. For any skill check where the success or failure of the roll is not implicit in the result*, just note in the OOC comments that you want to make a check, and I will roll it.

* Is there a short hand for these type of rolls? Secret rolls maybe? As opposed to skill checks in which the success or failure is immediately apparent - ie you make a ride check to avoid falling off a horse. If you fall, you failed the skill check.

Am I making any sense at all?

thotd

Scott DeWar

short hand:
making perception roll at +22. what do i not see?

dm rolls on some obscure thread and player sees nothing

dm: you see nuthin

Axel

First Post
Fair enough. Unless you post a DC, I'll leave the rolling to you. World details are also good. Am I correct in thinking

Common = Language of the Empire (aka Lingua Franca), used for official decrees, inter-state dialogue etc etc
SaxHessian = Native tongue of the Duchy. Used by locals on a day by day basis.

Most amusing that doghead is using "dog-faced creatures" as his first monsters. :)

doghead

thotd
Am I correct in thinking

Common = Language of the Empire (aka Lingua Franca), used for official decrees, inter-state dialogue etc etc
SaxHessian = Native tongue of the Duchy. Used by locals on a day by day basis.

Nearly. The official language of the Empire is ... umm, Augustinian? Something like that. Common is universal, used to a greater or lesser degree across all of The Reaches. Like Trader.

Most amusing that doghead is using "dog-faced creatures" as his first monsters. :)

I hadn't thought of that. I was tempted to use my favourite creatures, goblins. Maybe later. Although I am thinking that it might do something a little bit different with them this time.

thotd

Scott DeWar

I like adding templates to common monsters, or refleshing monsters of one type as another, such as a plant creature as a fungal type. dressing only, no upgrades.

doghead

thotd
I was thinking about my response. The game has become a little more complicated than I originally envisioned. Hopefully the following helps some. This information is largely based on Jan's skills, but also with an eye to his bardic training, and the oral history that incorporates. Do as you wish with this information.

[sblock=Scott DeWar]The tales and legends are full stories of gnolls terrorising the peasants, looting and burning villages, robbing travellers and kidnapping fair maidens; at least until the noble hero of the story came along and vanquished them. Gnolls are used by parents to scare wayward children into obedience. Gnolls are the perfect adversary archetype. Gnolls are savages, fierce fighters of bestial appearance. They are made for the role, no?

Once, gnolls were found across much of the land. Many wars and conflicts were fought between men and gnolls. Mostly mankind was victorious and slowly the gnolls were driven back until the survived only in the mountains that dominate the centre of the land. So it has been for the last few centuries. On occasion, the gnolls have come out of the mountains and waged war on mankind. The guard tower that the party passed on the road was likely as not built during such a conflict in order to protect the boarders and the roads.

There are a few counterpoints to this picture. These stories are less common. There is the legend of the tribe of gnolls that sheltered the children of the Lord Fayr and guided them across the mountains to safety after he was betrayed and overthrown. Lord Fayr is famous for having established peace 'between all of the beasts and man'. The tale of Lord Fayr is a favourite of the romantics, and the notion of peace between man and beast is usually interpreted as just allegory. But just as allegory can be used to illuminate truth, truth can also be hidden in allegory. Then there is Borse, the stout, loyal companion of the gallant knight-errant Sir Hodenfeld. Most tales describe Borse as a 'dog ugly fur clad warrior from the northern lands'. But some versions of the story, less common, describe his as a 'dog-warrior from the northern mountains'. In other words, a gnoll.

So, in all, gnolls may be more than simple savages. But choose your friends carefully perhaps.[/sblock]

Remove ads