• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC - Magic Kingdom for Sale* - Full

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Sephiroth no Miko said:
Isida, I was looking at your Negatai and thinking they are really not worth the +1 ECL, especially when compared your standard fire, water, air, and earth genasi.

Getting a +1 bonus/5 levels to necromantic effects, unintelligent undead ignoring them, the ability to rebuke as a cleric 4 levels lower, chill touch 1/day does not make up for the loss of -2 to all saves, and reduced healing.

I say this because both saves and healing both heavily impact on player characters all the time. They're always rolling saves, and always getting hurt. :p -2 to every save is just... brutal and the average -1 hp loss per dice cure spells is not insignificant either (the slow natural healing is less of an issue since adventurers rarely heal naturally).

However, a bunch of the negatai's bonuses are quite limited. +1/5 level vs. necromantic effects isn't that powerful, especially if a character needs 10 levels just to achieve a net +0 (plus, there's that -2 to Con to overcome). Both the unintelligent undead ignoring and the ability to rebuke is nice, but they're dependent on having undead around (which in turn, is DM dependent). Even then, neither are especially powerful. Skeletons and zombies aren't much of a threat, especially as a character gets higher in levels, and besides, if you do something threatening, they'll attack you. I would classify that as a minor ability at best.

Incidentally, for the rebuke undead, how many times can a negatai (or a positai for that matter) rebuke per day? Once or 3 + Cha like a cleric (I was assuming once)? A 1st level negatai (= to a 2nd level character if using ECL +1) would have to make a Cha check (which is what a turning check is) of 22 higher to even affect 1 HD undead! :eek: (Plus his turning damage would be 2d6 - 3 + Cha.) Most powerful undead like vampires, liches, ghosts (even ghouls) all have turning resistance anyways, so even high-level negatais would only be able to affect skeletons and zombies most of the time (both of which would just ignore him in the first place). Yes, I realize a 19th level negatai could rebuke as a 15th level cleric. But as an equivalent of a 20th level character (or even 19th), he would be facing much tougher opponents than what a 15th cleric would be facing.

So anyways, that's my argument for why I would consider a negatai around a net +0 ECL. I think the reduced healing penalty equals out the necromantic saves bonuses and invisibility to unintelligent undead and the -2 to saves equals out the rebuke and chill touch.

Of course, this is just my 0.02. :)
Well, the rebuking powers of a Negatai are more a last-ditch effort, or a way to help your friendly evil or neutral cleric by spending a turning attempt to aid their rebuking effort (from DotF) It's meant more for taking care of the evil lich's minions that are commanded to attack him, then for him to take on the evil lich all on his own. I certainly don't expect a 20th level Negatai rogue to be able to turn vampires! However, a 20th level Negatai cleric of Nerull is something entirely different...

Anyways, here is the new and improved Negatai, now hopefully worthy of their +1 ECL.

Negatai - Negatia are quasi-genasi touched by the Plane of Negative energy (the energy that powers undead). The nature of negative energy imbues them with a certain amount of strength, but also makes them more susceptible to death. +2 Str, -2 Con. +1 racial bonus vs necromantic spells and effects, which increases every five levels. -1 racial penalty to all saving throws. Unintelligent undead will ignore a Negatai and won't attack them unless they attack first.

A Negatai can rebuke undead as a cleric four levels lower than his current character level, or if the character already has the ability to rebuke undead, he may do so as if he were two levels higher. If the Negatai doesn't have levels in a class that grants turning abilities, they may rebuke 3 + Cha mod times per day. If the Negatai has levels in a class that grants turning abilities, he gains extra turning attemps equal to his Cha mod that may be used only on attempts to rebuke.

They also no not heal as fast as other races, with natural healing being slower (half the rate of normal creatures) and healing spells being less effective on them (-1 per die). They may cast chill touch 3/day, and command undead 1/day as a spell-like ability of a sorcerer of their character level.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Thanee said:
Looks much better that way. :)

Plenty errors in there (I've noticed a handful immediately when browsing over it quickly), however, I'll point those out later.
Uh oh, what did I miss? :heh:

Some people in that threat have noted how this is a bit mean for wizards... maybe this would work?

Just restrict permanent item creation feats (those which craft permanent items only), but allow those which craft temporary items (Scribe Scroll, Brew Potion, Craft Wand, Craft Staff, etc).
I'm of the opinion that this is a powerful class, and that a restriction against creating magic items is justified and fitting with the theme. You can still take all the lovely metamagic feats if you're a wizard. I mean, I'm only asking the character to not use a particular class feature in exchange for his spells lasting above and beyond the ken of normal wizards.

Re: Psionics - what kind of PrC would psionic characters take then? ;)
Well... I haven't written any yet... but I can. Name me an overriding them. I shall make a psionic prestige class.

Thanee said:
Are we supposed to build something up together? So, more like we build our town/castle here, rather than I build my tower here, I build my keep here, etc? I think so (first one), but just to be sure.
It's kind of like, we build the town/castle here, pacify the countryside, put some people in charge of it, move to a new place, wash, rinse, repeat until entire desired area is as you want it.

Ack, you know that some of the updates to 3.5 were fairly heavy, especially feats (Spellcasting Prodigy, Persistant Spell, etc), spells, magic items?

I could post the changes, if anyone wants to use some stuff from those books (only to the stuff that is going to be used, of course). Shouldn't be that hard, really, even if you don't have the book.
Well, unless you want to post the necessary changes, we shall have to boldly struggle on without it... unless I break down and go buy it. :p

Leadership and Followers: Would it be reasonable for everyone to have Leadership? It kinda sounds like a very fitting feat, really.
I don't mind, as long as we have the understanding that I'm not running huge-scale battles, and that your cohorts and followers will mostly serve for holding pacified territory and building stuff.

BTW, what about other PrC, can we have another PrC plus one of yours (given a fitting concept)?
That be fine.

Thanee

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Uh oh, what did I miss? :heh:

No biggies, just minor stuff (like bull's strength duration listed wrong).

I'm of the opinion that this is a powerful class, and that a restriction against creating magic items is justified and fitting with the theme. You can still take all the lovely metamagic feats if you're a wizard. I mean, I'm only asking the character to not use a particular class feature in exchange for his spells lasting above and beyond the ken of normal wizards.

I'm actually not so sure, that it is that powerful. I mean there are huge requirements, huge disadvantages and every single abilities further adds to those with huge costs. The benefits are mostly... nice, but hardly overpowering, especially coupled with those huge and plenty hindrances (which are even worse for a sorcerer, btw).

This class surely isn't a killer in combat... it will be more like... Combat!?
You handle that! Me and my 12 hit points stay faaaaar behind!

Well... I haven't written any yet... but I can. Name me an overriding them. I shall make a psionic prestige class.

I must admit, I'd prefer to just kick psionics out the door, but I don't want to force my opinions on the rest of you. ;)

However, I don't think I'd want to play an arcane caster in a campaign with psionics, so I'd have to find something else then (maybe a psion, actually, so people can't accuse me of not having tested them anymore, when I say, that they are highly overpowered... :p).

Well, unless you want to post the necessary changes, we shall have to boldly struggle on without it... unless I break down and go buy it. :p

As I said, if anyone (who doesn't have the PGtF themselves) wants to have something from these books, just list it, and I can fill you in with the updates. Otherwise there is a lot of stuff that simply doesn't fit well with 3.5.

I don't mind, as long as we have the understanding that I'm not running huge-scale battles, and that your cohorts and followers will mostly serve for holding pacified territory and building stuff.

Yeah, that's a problem with multiple cohorts. ;)

I'd probably want it for followers mostly, if it isn't needed, I would not take it then, but it certainly makes sense. :)

My initial idea was a Sorcerer 6 / Incantatrix 4 / Endless 2 or Wizard 5 / Incantatrix 5 / Endless 2. The new metamagic abilities of the Incantatrix would work very well in combination with the Endless, I think. One problem there would be, that the Incantatrix gets a pretty useful ability at 5th, which requires the character to have a craft item feat (Wand or Staff); and of course, that you only know the old (3.0) Incantatrix. ;)

Well... with the XPH this "problem" doesn't really matter, anyways.

Bye
Thanee

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Xael said:
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.

Thanks, Xael! :) Are we using that book? I didn't see it in the list but I guess it would make a lot of sense....

Thanee said:
I must admit, I'd prefer to just kick psionics out the door, but I don't want to force my opinions on the rest of you.

Here's one person you wouldn't have to force your opinions on. :) Can't say I'm fond of them either.

Isida, the Song Ghost looks fine to me. The only other suggestion I was thinking of making was asking you if you'd be willing to switch the order of The Warrior's Spirit Memory II and Spirit Memory III abilities-- that is, the Warrior would grant martial proficiency at 4th, and a bonus fighter feat at 5th. The reason for this is because this would allow a Song Ghost the option of spending that bonus feat on a Weapon Focus in a martial weapon if he wanted. (Plus the order of learning weapon use, then a fighter technique seems more intuitive to me.)

And I guess I've pretty much settled on being a Song Ghost. I really like the Living Spell and was working on two different characters at the same time so I could wait until last minute to make the choice :p but as I was going along, I realized the Song Ghost character was much more interesting. I'll put up the character sometime this weekend when I've got the history more fleshed out.

By the way, am I suppose to make the bonded ghost or are you? Do I roleplay him or do you?

Oh yeah, are we allowed to take the regional feats in FRCS even though we're not in FR?

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Anyways, here is the new and improved Negatai, now hopefully worthy of their +1 ECL.

Negatai - Negatia are quasi-genasi touched by the Plane of Negative energy (the energy that powers undead). The nature of negative energy imbues them with a certain amount of strength, but also makes them more susceptible to death. +2 Str, -2 Con. +1 racial bonus vs necromantic spells and effects, which increases every five levels. -1 racial penalty to all saving throws. Unintelligent undead will ignore a Negatai and won't attack them unless they attack first.

A Negatai can rebuke undead as a cleric four levels lower than his current character level, or if the character already has the ability to rebuke undead, he may do so as if he were two levels higher. If the Negatai doesn't have levels in a class that grants turning abilities, they may rebuke 3 + Cha mod times per day. If the Negatai has levels in a class that grants turning abilities, he gains extra turning attemps equal to his Cha mod that may be used only on attempts to rebuke.

They also no not heal as fast as other races, with natural healing being slower (half the rate of normal creatures) and healing spells being less effective on them (-1 per die). They may cast chill touch 3/day, and command undead 1/day as a spell-like ability of a sorcerer of their character level.

Yes, I would say that's considerably buffer and would justify the +1 ECL. The command undead was a nice touch. :) Out of curiosity, why the caveat on the extra rebuking attempts for a cleric negatai?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Sephiroth no Miko said:
Yes, I would say that's considerably buffer and would justify the +1 ECL. The command undead was a nice touch. Out of curiosity, why the caveat on the extra rebuking attempts for a cleric negatai?
Mostly so that if you had, for example, a Negatai cleric of Pelor, they wouldn't be a total turning madhouse with the increase in levels and extra turning attempts per day. He has to acknowledge his Negatai heritage by rebuking, instead of just getting the perk of the increased turning ability. It's also a flavor thing for roleplaying.

Isida, the Song Ghost looks fine to me. The only other suggestion I was thinking of making was asking you if you'd be willing to switch the order of The Warrior's Spirit Memory II and Spirit Memory III abilities-- that is, the Warrior would grant martial proficiency at 4th, and a bonus fighter feat at 5th. The reason for this is because this would allow a Song Ghost the option of spending that bonus feat on a Weapon Focus in a martial weapon if he wanted. (Plus the order of learning weapon use, then a fighter technique seems more intuitive to me.)
I'm cool with that.

And I guess I've pretty much settled on being a Song Ghost. I really like the Living Spell and was working on two different characters at the same time so I could wait until last minute to make the choice but as I was going along, I realized the Song Ghost character was much more interesting. I'll put up the character sometime this weekend when I've got the history more fleshed out.
Cool. So we have a Bondblade, a Song Ghost, possibly an Endless...

By the way, am I suppose to make the bonded ghost or are you? Do I roleplay him or do you?
You can make him if you like, or if you're stumped, I'll do it. Mostly you can roleplay him, but I may occasionally step in with some special knowledge or something.

Oh yeah, are we allowed to take the regional feats in FRCS even though we're not in FR?
Yes.

[quiote=Thanee]I'm actually not so sure, that it is that powerful. I mean there are huge requirements, huge disadvantages and every single abilities further adds to those with huge costs. The benefits are mostly... nice, but hardly overpowering, especially coupled with those huge and plenty hindrances (which are even worse for a sorcerer, btw).

This class surely isn't a killer in combat... it will be more like... Combat!?
You handle that! Me and my 12 hit points stay faaaaar behind![/quote] Well, can you think of a way... Wait, just had a brainstorm... Stealing a mechanic from the Blood Magus, how about the Endless can use those items creation feats, but only on himself. For example, he can write a scroll on his skin, and the marks remain until he casts it. Or he can make a potion and store it in his blood, and bleed himself to give it to someone else, or just use it himself. So yes he can make stuff, but it has to be an intrinsic part of someone. "I can make you that staff of frost, but I'm going to have to strap a few gems to your leg here..." :p Does that make any sense?

I must admit, I'd prefer to just kick psionics out the door, but I don't want to force my opinions on the rest of you.

However, I don't think I'd want to play an arcane caster in a campaign with psionics, so I'd have to find something else then (maybe a psion, actually, so people can't accuse me of not having tested them anymore, when I say, that they are highly overpowered... ).
Well, I haven't heard anyone else clammering to play a psion, so maybe you won't have to worry about it. ;)

As I said, if anyone (who doesn't have the PGtF themselves) wants to have something from these books, just list it, and I can fill you in with the updates. Otherwise there is a lot of stuff that simply doesn't fit well with 3.5.
I think I'm just going to have to break down and get it because I have had people ask me if they can use stuff out of it in at least three other games of mine.

My initial idea was a Sorcerer 6 / Incantatrix 4 / Endless 2 or Wizard 5 / Incantatrix 5 / Endless 2. The new metamagic abilities of the Incantatrix would work very well in combination with the Endless, I think. One problem there would be, that the Incantatrix gets a pretty useful ability at 5th, which requires the character to have a craft item feat (Wand or Staff); and of course, that you only know the old (3.0) Incantatrix.
Well, see my stuff above and see if that makes it any more palatable.

Thanee

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
I think I'm just going to have to break down and get it because I have had people ask me if they can use stuff out of it in at least three other games of mine.

Unless you are financially struggling, this is a good idea, I guess. :D

The book is pretty cool, and if you already have the FR stuff, it makes most of this much more useful in 3.5. :)

Well, see my stuff above and see if that makes it any more palatable.

Hmm... not entirely sure about that. It doesn't seem to fit the concept well, or do you think it does? :)

I actually think that item creation does fit the concept of the Endless pretty well, since it is another way to make magic lasting.

And if anything, restricting Craft Wondrous Item (and maybe Craft Magical Arms & Armor) would be enough, since those are the only really good ones, anyways. ;)

You could allow to craft only spell completion and spell trigger items, as those are the ones most closely related to spellcasting. That would include all the feats, which classes get automatically, so you don't put them at an unfair disadvantage, especially since those classes (speaking mainly of the Wizard and the Incantatrix here, which both get or require such item creation feats) are perfectly suited to become an Endless IMHO. :)

Bye
Thanee

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Mostly so that if you had, for example, a Negatai cleric of Pelor, they wouldn't be a total turning madhouse with the increase in levels and extra turning attempts per day. He has to acknowledge his Negatai heritage by rebuking, instead of just getting the perk of the increased turning ability.

Oh, I got a little confused. Silly me, I thought the cleric wouldn't be able to use his extra rebuking attempts to power a divine feat like Divine Might or something like that. It never occurred to me a good cleric would have issues rebuking. :heh: Duh.

Cool. So we have a Bondblade, a Song Ghost, possibly an Endless...

And Xael's Lightning Rod. :)

Are there any ancient human languages in Low'verok? Particularly if they're pertinent to the area we're going to be in?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Xael said:
Just noticed that because the Shocking Grasp spell has changed in 3.5, the Kiss of Lightning and Heart of Lightning abilities might need some minor changes. Mainly because Shocking Grasp now has it's damage based on levels.
Right, changed that.

Thanee, I will be doing further revising of the Endless today to incorporate item creation. So check it out. :)

No real ancient human languages Sephiro, none that come to mind...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads