• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC - Magic Kingdom for Sale* - Full

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Umm... hmmm. You design your cohorts. Remember, they get NPC gear value. Please don't make the DM cry. Monstrous cohorts are possible, though clear it with me first.

Xael

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Please don't make the DM cry.
No need to worry about that I think. I just want a "butler". ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, do the cohorts need to have one of your Prcs or can I use the normal DMG ones?

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok, I updated The Endless. Thanee, tell me what you think. Anyone else, if you have issues with the PrC you're looking at, please tell me. They are not written in stone.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Um... it would be kinda cool if the cohorts could have one of my PrCs, but I don't mind if you use any of the others from my listed sources on your cohorts.

Xael

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Anyone else, if you have issues with the PrC you're looking at, please tell me. They are not written in stone.
Well, I'm mainly worried about The Lightning Rod's caster level progression (3 out of 10 levels). But the class has so many other goodies (d8 hit die, 2 good saves, moderate bab, plus the actual abilities), and it's meant for more combat-oriented characters than straight wizards, so the class would probably be rather unbalanced if one would up the caster level progression a bit (to 5 out of 10 levels for example). So nothing really. :)

But Ride The Lightning and Summon Lightning's Wrath are just so damn cool...

Well, I can't really pick any of the Faerun stuff because I do not have the books, nor the money to get them... So I'm gonna have to stay with the standard PHB dieties sadly.

Yondalla sounds interesting... perhaps a cleric calling for the heathen halflings to unite, or at least work for the common good (Proudfeet of the world, unite! :) ). Perhaps a "Protector" in the Church of Yondalla, sent to safeguard and teach the halflings of the wild?

My other idea right now is a human Kord cleric, focused on buffing spells and smashing things to show off Kord's strength, with a cohort that's an acolyte focused on healing his sometimes bull-headed master and his friends.

Right now I'm thinking the Kord idea might be more fun for me to play, and other people to bounce off of. Maybe throw in a level of barbarian or two, and have him be from one of the last outposts of Low'verok... he'd relate a little better to the locals.

6th Clr/3rd Barb/3rd Bondsblade... his cohort can be just 8 Clr...

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I have a Rogue's Gallery for you all.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we will be starting the game no later than Wed, July 28th, which would be next Wednesday. Starting earlier than that would be cool. I know Emperor Valarien can't have his character any earlier than Wednesday due to a trip he's taking, but if everyone else could try to get their characters in early, that would be spiffy.

Also, while I do tend to run a mostly serious game, occasionally I may be infected with the sense of the absurd, so I won't mind if you guys have a few running gags or whatnot.

And, as an extra bonus that's worth brownie points and even some extra XP (by the by, you're starting with 68,000 XP), write a real brief summary of some noteworthy deed your group did. For example: "The Company of the Gold Flame was hired to stop the mad orc warlord Gash the Repugnant from taking over the port city of Benshay. With spells of acidic power from the mage Killraven, the initial orcs were routed to a canyon and easily dispatched. Jel'ivar Lightsister, priestess of Pelor, rained holy fire upon the initial columns of the orc hoard, dispatching many of them, and causing some to lose heart and flee. Ret'cor, the ranger, had placed many traps in the surrounding wilderness to kill many of them, while Zavok, the fearsome fighter, challenged the orc warlord himself to a battle to the death. While this battle rage, Vel, a halfling of much skill in stealth, was able to steal the tribal battle standard. With both the loss of their standard and the death of their warlord, the remnents of the hoard dispersed, and Company of Gold Flame carried the day."

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Anyone else, if you have issues with the PrC you're looking at, please tell me. They are not written in stone.

Here are just a few comments on converting the two PrCs I'm (still!) trying to decide between:

Living Spell

* How about adding Intimidate to the list of class skills since fighters get it under 3.5?

* Flame arrow no longer exists in the fiery bolt form in 3.5e; I think it's been split off into scorching ray. So perhaps you'll want to base it off that instead (same basic idea, 4d6 points of damage, ranged touch to hit).

Ehr, that's it for that, really...

Song Ghost

* Would you consider adding some skills to the Song Ghost's skill list? They are still bards, and most of their abilities remain bardic, and one of the great strength of bards is their skills. Alternatively, you could tie skill groups to the ghost type if you're uncomfortable with adding a whole bunch skills. For example, a song ghost with the scamp would get Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble as class skill or something like that?

* The 3.5 bard gets 6 skills point + Int per level instead of 4 but I don't know if you're up for this or not. This is a bard-specific class so you might want to, but it really depends on if you're comfortable with it.

* Does the incorporeal form take a standard action or free action to activate? How about to change back? (I assume if you re-corporate in a solid area, the usual effects apply- shunted off to the nearest open area, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet travelled?)

* Since the Inspire Courage ability for Bardic Music now scales with the bard's level, you will probably just want to convert the enhancements the bonded spirit grants as an additional +1 bonus to fear saves, and attack and damage rolls on top of the whatever the bard gets for his level.

* Uhm, there's now also the issue of new Bardic Music abilities themselves. Before, under 3.0, the bard automatically got those abilities whenever his Perform ranks were high enough, regardless of actually whether he was a 10th level Bard or a 1st level Bard/9th level Rogue. Now, they've closed that loophole and tied the Bardic Music to bard levels as well. Do you want Song Ghost levels to stack with Bard levels for that purpose? One could argue that in lieu of gaining the higher bardic abilities (like inspire courage +3, song of freedom, inspire heroics... etc), they gain new abilities from their bonded ghost (the spiritual memory abilities and the like) instead. However, that might weaken the class in comparison from its 3.0 equivalent so you could balance that by adding one or both spell levels back into the spells per day. Or I guess you could keep it the way it was, and just use Bard level + Song Ghost level to determine the character's bardic music abilties (this seems to be more in the spirit of your PrC). The second way seems a little strange to me, because then you seem to be gaining both the class abilities of the bard class and the song ghost class as you go up (which was what you were doing under the original version, though it was written so it didn't seem that way).

If you pick the second way:

* For the Inspire Greatness ability, does the 2d6 damage apply for each use of the ability or for each person it affects? (I kinda assumed the former, but I want to double-check).

* I guess you can add this under Bardic Music for Inspire Heroics- morale bonus on saves increase to +6 and dodge bonus to AC to +6. (Since all the bonuses seem to increase by 50-100%.). Cost: 2d6 dmg?

* And this for Song of Freedom- The Song Ghost gains a +3 on caster level checks to break enchantments. Cost: 1d6+2 dmg? (Tried to model it after Countersong)

* As the bard's Suggestion ability DC already increases with the bard's level for 3.5, maybe we can just turn this into a straight +2 on top? I personally thought the 2d6 dmg was a little excessive for enhancing a single spell for a mere +2 in the original but it's always your call. I was going to suggest (heh! nonmagically, of course) that the Suggestion could cost 1d6 dmg and the Mass Suggestion could cost 2d6 dmg.

* I would like to point out that the animal friendship spell (for the feral bonded spirit) no longer exists in 3.5. Perhaps speak with animals instead? Or maybe a permanent endure elements effect?

* How does the Foot in the Grave immunity to stunning effects resolve with the stunning from a turn? Is a 3rd level or higher Song Ghost simply not affected? Maybe instead of being stunned, the Song Ghost could be staggered, or shaken, or sickened instead with a successful turning effect for 1d4 rounds?

* For the Dirge of Darkest Night, you could simply make the DC 10 + 1/2 the character's level in classes which he has the bardic music ability + Cha mod? (It's written awkwardly I know, there has got to be better way to say that...) It would then have the same DC as Suggestion (and Mass Suggestion if you're allowing that).

* On a side note, +3 bonus to saves look odd to me. Maybe because I like everything nice and even. :p But that's just my personal quirk.

Whew! I think that covers everything... for now. :]

Last edited:

Remove ads