[OOC] Playing Dice with the Universe

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
My initial thought was to use everything in the reprint box so I may change the initial premise slightly to 1976 (start of the fall semester).

willvr

First Post
I'm going to sit back for now. My stats for 3d6 were some of the best I've ever rolled with I think 4 15, a 13 and a 6 wisdom.

Open to suggestions.

Leif

Adventurer
I've been looking over the Swords & Wizardry rules which are the OD&D rules. The original rule set only had 3 classes, Cleric, Fighter, and Magic-User, and all three classes had d6 hit dice. Just how iron-man are you wanting to be now? Also, every time a character advanced a level, he rolled his hit points all over again from scratch, using the new number of dice and any ap;plicable constitution bonus, with the only proviso being that a characters hit points could not decrease. In the event of a sucky hp roll, the character's hp would remain at the previous number.

To quote the rules --

"Character Classes
There are three character classes in this game: Cleric, Fighter, and Magic-user. Your Referee may also have invented other character classes, or may be allowing optional character classes and races from other fantasy games.

Reading Character Class Tables
Level: Refers to the level of experience of the character.

XP: This is the number of Experience Points (XP) needed to advance to this level.

BHB: This is the “Base Hit Bonus” added to the attack roll. (See Combat)

HD: This is the number of d6 Hit Dice at that level. Characters re-roll their HD each time they advance a level to obtain a number of hit points. (If you roll poorly, those hit points don’t go down, however.)"

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Leif, I'd rather wait to get into specifics until I have the box in hand (hopefully tomorrow). While I'm sure Swords & Wizardry is modeled on OD&D, it isn't OD&D.

As for how "ironman" we are going to be, I prefer a story and character focused style of play and so I try not to be too harsh on player characters, house ruling where needed to accomplish that goal.

Leif

Adventurer
That's all very re-assuring. I'm beginning to look forward to this game even more.

Incidentally, where did you find your copy of OD&D and how much did you have to pay for it?

willvr

First Post
Like they did for the 1st and 2nd edition core rules (and some non-core 1st); they've reprinted a limited edition run of OD&D.

Leif

Adventurer
That tells me neither where I can get them, nor how much they will cost. I tried searching on RPGNow, but had no luck.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I pre-ordered the reprint back in March from Amazon, but like most everyone else, never got it (Amazon under ordered or the distributor messed up or something else happened...I have no idea). I cancelled that order and ordered it from Barnes & Noble. According to their site, they still have it in stock here. A bit pricey, but worth it. :)

Remove ads