[OOC] Playing Dice with the Universe

willvr

First Post
Well, I think in reality we're hoping for at least one fighter-type, one mage-type, one cleric-type. If the cleric-type doesn't get spells at 1st level, that's annoying, but we're not going to be first level for long.

.... right?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
we're not going to be first level for long.

.... right?
Though we might not be these characters for long either? MV's initial pitch had us jumping from character to character after each adventure...?

Not that it matters too much for now: I'll work up cleric stats for Sir Trinibar first thing. (And as I mentionned elsewhere re Sword and Sorcery, I rather like the "no spells for clerics at 1st level" thing: sort of a faith-proving period). I did get a subtle, implied judeo-christian feel from Men and Magic myself, by the way, what with silver crosses and holy waters in the gear section.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
No spells for clerics at 1st level is correct.

And the crosses in the equipment list does kind of imply a Christian/Catholic cosmology, along with the lack of deities.

Doghead, maybe next time. ;)

I'd like to get started on or around the 15th so character sheets by then would be groovy.

Leif

Adventurer
Great, if BF stats up a cleric, then I'm in good shape with my Dwarf and can relax a bit, until time to smash the goblins.

How are we rolling characters? 3d6 for each ability, straight up? That's what I'd prefer, as long as I'm not the only one doing it that way. Roll hp at first level, too?
:D

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Yes and yes. There are also notes on exchanging ability scores in post #42.

I'm going to copy/paste all of that into the first post as well, now that I think about it.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Oh wow. This OD&D is making my head hurt ;) Where can I see the spells for a magic user? Must I absolutely own the book? As far as a character is concerned, I'm torn between a "how the hell did these geeks convince me to do this?!" stereotypical blond american cheerleader from the south, a transfer student from china who was mainly trying to improve her english and who doesn't really know what D&D is (but is quite intelligent) and the janitor, who happens to look like Morgan Freeman. Note that I'm not american so I don't want to step on any sensitive racial toes or anything ;)

Mary Elise: "Well that spell was about as useful as a pogo stick in quicksand!"

Mei Ling: "I am worried something wir wait us in tempre. This is crearry a trap! Father arways say to me don't go in strange tempre with brood marks on froor."

Mary Elise: "Really Mei Ling, your da said such things? What kinds of temples do ya'll HAVE in China?"

Henry the Janitor: "Keep quiet, the both of you. You're more noisy than my damn grand kids when they argue about who gets to be Batman. Now let me go first. This floor isn't worse than the men's room on a Friday."

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Welcome aboard Myth!

I left out the spell descriptions for now because they are all only about a short paragraph and are really open to DM and player interpretation. I'll get them posted if/when we have someone choose a magic-user or a cleric player hits 2nd level.

The cheerleader and the janitor both sound fun. :)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Welcome to the group, Myth. :)

Re character, here's what I have so far. (Almost left that 15 up in Strength or Con, since clerics don't gain any direct advantages from high Wis, but finally decided to go whole hog on the cleric thing. Figure it represents the strength of his Faith or something, right?)

Let me know what you think, MV.

[sblock=Background]Herbert - Bert for short - a short science major with quick blue eyes behind his pair of heavy glasses. High forehead, thinnish brown hair. He's just finished taking an elective humanities class with the professor. Not that athletic (gets winded easy), was president of the historical model-building club back in high-school.

Dithered between a whole slew of characters before finally settling on Sir Trinibar of the Shining Sword, armor-plated crusader for the Light, five minutes before the game actually begins (still busily listing up his gear as it starts, as a matter of fact ;)).[/sblock][sblock=Complete Stats]Level 5 cleric (Curate)
XP 12000/25000
Alignment: Lawful
Languages: Common, Lawful, Dragon.

Str 11
Dex 13 +1 Missiles
Con 8
Int 11 +1 language
Wis 15 +10% XP
Cha 5

AC 2 (Plate armor and shield)
HP 14/14
Saving Throws DR/P 9, Wnd Poly Prl 10, Stn 12, Brth 14, S&S 12)

Move: 12'
THAC0 17 (16 missiles), Damage 1d6
Turn 2d6 Undead: 2d6 (Sklt+Zmb D, Ghl+Wig T, Wrai 7, Mum 9, Spct 11)
Remembered Spells (2, 2): To be announced

Equipment: 130 gp total
Plate mail & Holy Cross Shield (85)
Crusader helm (10)
Crimson tabard
Family Flanged Mace (5) "Scarlet tassels and capper"
Leather sling and 20/20 lead bullets (1) "each inscribed with a cross"
Leather Back Pack (5) "Flap branded with cormorant of house Trinibar"
12 Iron Spikes (1)
2 Large Sacks (4)
Water skin (1)
6 Torches (1)
Steel Mirror and razor (5)
1 week Standard Rations (5)
Hand Axe (3)
Sharpening Stone (1)​
Flat purse with a total of 3 solitary gp in it

N.B. Can use all magical armor and all non-edge magical weapons.

[sblock=Possible blessings]1st Level
Cure Light Wounds (Full Turn, 1 creature, 1d6+1 HP)
Purify Food and Water (12 man-days of rations)
Detect Magic ("Limited range and short duration")
Detect Evil (12", 6T)
Protection from Evil (+1 saves & -1 HD vs Evil, blocks Enchntd, 12T)
Light (3" radius, 12T)

2nd Level
Find Traps (3" radius, 2T) Magical and mechanical
Hold Person (18", 1-4 (-2 save if vs single target), 9T)
Bless (Targets not in combat, +1 Tohit and Morale, 6T)
Speak with Animals (3", 6T)[/sblock]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4347676/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4347689/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4361401/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4363366/[/sblock]Before I do, any special rules for rolling our HPs? Re-roll ones and twos, best of average or the roll, that sort of thing?

Is there the equivalent of a holy language for this world? For ceremonies, holy texts, etc. (I don't think Bert would have thought of it on his own, but maybe the professor mentionned it to him during character creation?)

Last edited:

Remove ads