[OOC] Roll20 Online Game Trial - Looking for Players - Australian Timezones

LordGraz'zt

First Post
Roll20 is a "virtual tabletop" similar to MapTool or OpenRPG which allows you to play role playing games online.

One of the things that is great about Roll20 is that it is very simple - no complex connection problems - its browser based so I give you a link and thats all you need to play.

For more information feel free to check the below links:

Roll20

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-aJLyYUXa0"]Roll 20 Preview Video[/ame]

I am planning on running a one shot as a trial - depending on the group I may extend it to a campaign.

Timezone: I am based in Australia, specifically Adelaide, South Australia so we will be playing at about 7pm-10pm my time on a weeknight, most likely Wednesday or Thursday.

The below link you can use to work out what time it is for you:

Timezone Converter

Game
This will be a D&D 4E game.

The only thing you need to play is a working microphone.

Over time I will pretty up this post - but I wanted to get this up to get the group together.

Setting
The game will be set in the drow city of Menzoberranzan - I will not be sticking slavishly to Forgotten Realms lore but I will be using parts of it to suit - for example House Baenre is the first House.

If you know nothing about drow within the Forgotten Realms that is fine (and to some extent preferable) I will put up a proper summary over the next couple days/this weekend.

Talking very loosely Menzoberranzan is a city of dark elves that is situated underground in a massive network of caverns and caves known as the "Underdark".

Dark elves are grouped into extended family groups known as Houses, the Houses together form a complex hierarchy that is made up of about 60-70 different houses.

The Houses and to an extent all dark elves are occupied with "station", moving the family/House up the ranking of Houses is what most elves live for, this extends to actions within the House itself.

Each House is headed by a Matron, the most powerful(and normally eldest) female of the family who is almost always a priestess of Lolth, the spider goddess of the dark elves.

The party will all be members of House Darketh, currently situated in 27th position.

Darketh is an old, withering House (they've been steadily dropping in size and power for two centuries) which makes its money from dealing in exotic drugs and occasionally exotic monsters and slaves. Recent rumors indicate they are looking to establish long term trade deals with non-noble merchants to improve their wealth and standing.

If you do not know much about dark elves can you post below and I will post more details.

Here is some more information: Menzoberranzan

Character Creation
By no stretch of the imagination do you have to be a drow.

If you are a drow you will be a noble of House Darketh.

If you are not a drow you will be a slave of House Darketh.

Do not be worried about being a "slave" it will not effect you mechanically (or prevent you from getting magic items etc).

Starting Level: 2
The starting level reflects the natural rough and tumble of your existence as well as your training at the end of your first year of schooling.

Depending on your skillset most drow attend one of three schools, Melee Magthere for warriors, Sorcere for wizards and Arach-Tinilith, the school of Lolth for clerics.

In this setting, schooling takes approximately 10 years with 10 months spent at the school itself and 2 months of the year back at your House.

Race: I am very easy going when it comes to race - feel free to reskin any race to other races of your choosing. For example you want to play a drow but you want to play a Fighter and hate the ability bonuses of the drow race, you can choose Dwarf as your race but still play as a Drow in game.

I will also be flexible with transferring your race encounter power (if it exists) for the drow power.

Skills: Similarly I am not very precious about skill lists for classes - class will define the number of skills you receive but feel free to choose whichever skills you like.

Class: No restrictions - also do not feel like you "have" to perform a certain role because everyone else in the character is that role - I will be able to manage whatever configuration the party is - if for whatever reason we have an all Defender/Leader/Striker party there is no issues with that.

I am very flexible overall with character generation (especially for what might be a one shot) so feel free to ask for different options, I will normally allow it.

Final Comments
Any questions/comments feel free to post away - as mentioned above, I will clean this up later in the week but wanted to give you at least something to chew on.

If you are interested in playing feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

Messageboy

First Post
Hello guys, I don't know much about drows except the basic stuff of being the dark side of elves. The character that I will be using if it is accepted is a human artificer, I don't mind the slave role and it might fit with my character history and type. What will be the starting gold to use for starting equipment and items?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Hrm, ok. I won't play in a game with evil PC's so... umm... sorry, but I'm guessing that means I'll have to drop out.

LordGraz'zt

First Post
Hello guys, I don't know much about drows except the basic stuff of being the dark side of elves. The character that I will be using if it is accepted is a human artificer, I don't mind the slave role and it might fit with my character history and type. What will be the starting gold to use for starting equipment and items?

Starting gold will be 100gp.

LordGraz'zt

First Post
Hrm, ok. I won't play in a game with evil PC's so... umm... sorry, but I'm guessing that means I'll have to drop out.

PM sent, but no stress if the setting causes you issues.

The main purpose of the setting is to provide unity for the party (Go Team Darketh) and to change up the scenery a little.

Last edited:

RobertLie

First Post
While it would be easy to make a Drow Warlock/Hexblade, I think I'm going to go Human as well, like Messageboy. Mostly, because I'm unsure of Drow knowledge and culture except they should be stabbed. ^^;

So, if themes are allowed ...

Darketh was mentioned for having/selling exotic slaves, so what about a Tuathan shapeshifter? Current concept is a Human Warlock with the Tuathan Theme, who was initially kept as amusement or as a pet with his ability to shapeshift into a variety of small creatures. Up to, and including flightless songbirds (which he has yet figure out how to actually make fly lacking examples in this @#$%ish place). He just kept slipping away. Oh, he was easily found and punished of course soon enough (making sure not to mar his voice or looks for fear of damaging the imagery of the "pets" he shifts into). It was just he was always found around near the Sorcere, where he seemed to pick-up a few tricks here and there to the point that his talents started to have a second preference other then merely a exotic pet.

If a Drow in the party is preferred, I do have plans/thoughts for a Drow Hexblade(or Warlock) in its place. Its just, I think I would prefer to play the ignorant Human(Tuathan) in this setting.

Messageboy

First Post
I have sent my pdf to graz. My human artificer is a blacksmith/alchemist, so he most likely a slave to the house for those skills of his. I have to give up half of the 100gold to take the artisan martial practice to gain the ability to make mundane gear and items but it should be very helpful in many situations. He will be quite weak with the lack of leather armor until he can get his hands on some gold to make himself some, still I could end up getting jobs from the houses for items and potions.

LordGraz'zt

First Post
No need to be drow at all if your not interested, if we decide to expand to a campaign we can always change settings.

EDIT: Actually if there is not a lot of interest in this setting I am happy to go with something else even for a one shot.

I would really like to have a uniting theme for the party though and normally the easiest way to do this is through race - perhaps all dwarf or all dragonborn instead? (With the same relaxed view on race, ie. mechanically can be any race and just fluff it as you see fit).

Last edited:

Remove ads