OOC: The Enemy Within, using 4E

Padreigh

First Post
Eladrin maybe for High Elves and Elves for Wood Elves? Half-Elves are a no-go, as far as I recall. Humans and Elves in Warhammer are not really compatible ... and even if they were, you'd still have Elven arrogance and Human xenophobia, which would lead to a very high ... mortality rate among newborns -cough-

Barbarians for slayers makes sense, could work for Norscans and maybe Kislevite mercenaries as well.

Insight

Adventurer
Eladrin maybe for High Elves and Elves for Wood Elves?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Half-Elves are a no-go, as far as I recall. Humans and Elves in Warhammer are not really compatible ... and even if they were, you'd still have Elven arrogance and Human xenophobia, which would lead to a very high ... mortality rate among newborns -cough-

Makes sense. Up to the GM, I guess.

Barbarians for slayers makes sense, could work for Norscans and maybe Kislevite mercenaries as well.

Forgot about those crazies. :p

Dr Simon

Explorer
Don't forget druids as well.

Having studied further I'm leaning towards Eladrin for high elves and Elves for wood elves, but neither have the Charisma boost of the archetypal elven minstrel.

And I think the "arcanophobia" of the Empire has been ramped up over the years, certainly it's not really a factor in Enemy Within. Yes, there are necromancers and demonologists who are feared by the public, and witch-hunters seeking chaos, but there are also wizards as respected members of court and burghers of towns. I could probably see a growing anti-magic zealotry as the campaign goes on, but it's a lot less prevalent than in, say, the later editions of WHRPG. That said, I think warlocks and sorcerers at least have too much of the whiff of chaos about them to be viable PC characters. I will have to check on the others.

Walking Dad

First Post
Ok, I'm at my limit, but I want in :D!

I love the WH background, but had some issues with the system... and I heard great things about the campaign. Regarding available races, classes and magic items.

Magic items: I would suggest the alternative boons system from DMG 2. If it isn't known, I can elaborate.

Races:
Essential got some more options for the ability bonuses from different races. The document wit the changes is a free download:
Halfling: Dex & Con or Cha
Eladrin: Int & Dex or Cha
Elf: Dex & Wis or Int
Dwarf: Con & Wis or Str

some of the changes make the races more WH like.

Classes:
Martial (all)
Divine (all -- though limiting Runepriest to Dwarfs would make sense) (and no arcane for dwarfs!)
Arcane: Wizard only (Eladrin Fey Warlock and Bard sound also good...)
Psionic: None
Primal: Not sure about these. Barbarian would make sense for Troll Slayer and so forth.
Barbarian makes no sense for troll slayers. They still need armor and the themes of the level 3 up powers are really magical. And nights restricted to hide armor that burst to fire during rages...? But I would allow the druid for wood elves and maybe mages of a a nature school...)
Shadow: None

Last edited:

Padreigh

First Post
Ok, I'm at my limit, but I want in :D!

I love the WH background, but had some issues with the system... and I heard great things about

The old system was a bit dodgy and was too random for my taste. The new one ... I rather like it although it has all those things I usually hate, like cool down times, cards to keep track of actions, no proper range system etc. :)

I am in as well, if this ever happens and if you don't mind someone constantly groaning about horrible "generically German-sounding" names. :p

Walking Dad

First Post
The old system was a bit dodgy and was too random for my taste. The new one ... I rather like it although it has all those things I usually hate, like cool down times, cards to keep track of actions, no proper range system etc. :)
I agree in regards of the old system. And the new one is not very useful with PbP. I'm sure it works great on a table...

I am in as well, if this ever happens and if you don't mind someone constantly groaning about horrible "generically German-sounding" names. :p
I will do the later, too! ;)

BTW, the last WHRPG I was in was very short-lived:
Gustav Federer in [WFRP] Down and Out in Altdorf OOC

Dr Simon

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. WD - do you have a link to that supplement? I tried hunting the WOTC website to no avail. Sounds like a good option.

As for psionics, it goes without saying: no.

German names: since the last time I read this campaign I know a lot more German, and some of the names aren't just made-up German-sounding, they're quite often cheeky hints as to the character's nature. The Ladies of Court in part 4 are amusing; Natascha Sinnlich, for example, and as for the Graf's paramour Emanuelle Schlagen we can only imagine what kind of proclivities the Graf might like her for....

Padreigh

First Post
Some names may be hints, agreed.

But then again, most of them are still extremly funny for native speakers.

"Auftragmorderstrasse" for a place where you could find killers for hire was one of my favourites . :)

Walking Dad

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. WD - do you have a link to that supplement? I tried hunting the WOTC website to no avail. Sounds like a good option.
Here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DNDessentials.pdf

Some names may be hints, agreed.

But then again, most of them are still extremly funny for native speakers.

"Auftragmorderstrasse" for a place where you could find killers for hire was one of my favourites . :)
This is great! :lol:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Thanks WD. Well, it pretty much says what you put in your post, but I like the options and I think I'll use them.

Anyone know of any firearms rules for DD4 before I go ahead and make some up?

Remove ads