[OOC] The Eye of The Night

Erudite

First Post
Thanks Mathew, I am always interested in hearing about how different people put their own spin on the campaign world.

Cheers,
Erudite

Ferrix

Explorer
Erudite said:
Mathew, what do you say to a pair of whisper gnome (races of stone) twins, one of whom is most definitely a roguish type (me), and whatever Ferrix comes up with? I'll whip up a character and post it by tomorrow.

Seems I'll go rogue-type as well since the fighter role looks more than covered.

Erudite

First Post
I'd like to see what limitations we have, to determine how to build my rogue. I think with two rogues we can cover the bases, and still leave Diplomacy to the Favored Soul.

I'd love to go Assassin, but I need the character to fit the expectations of our DM and the campaign. For more heroic games, I'd consider Slayer of Domiel, certainly.

Mathew Lankard

First Post
I see no problem with whisper gnome. I don't know how well assassin will work with a paladin in the party, but since it's a PrC, we can cross that bridge when we get there. Sorry I didn't post the info I promised last night, it will be up tonight when I get off work. This is my first time designing a world for DnD, so bare with me! The info tonight should help you start with backgrounds. The campaign world should have no affect on your stats, so feel free to work on your characters, backgrounds will just have to come second. I hope to integrate things you come up with in your backgrounds into my setting, because I think that sounds cool lol.

Erudite

First Post
Hi Mathew,

How should determine our Ability Scores? 4d6, point-buy?

I think I'll forget about Assassin, then. I forgot we had a pally. I do not want that sort of conflict.

Mathew Lankard

First Post
32 point buy. Also, I was thinking about using Invisible Castle for dice rolling, if that is alright with everyone. If you could post your character using the 3ed Profiler on dndonlinegames.com, that would be a plus as well.

Mathew Lankard

First Post
Ok here it is folks. As you can tell, I'm no fantasy writer, so keep the laughs to a minimum. ;) Its a rough outline and the details will be worked out as we go. I think I may adopt this for other games too, so i will be working on it a lot.

Swordbourne

Long ago a war raged in the heavens. A great warrior battled against 4 elemental dragons for the fate of the multi-verse. The warrior was defeated, and his legendary sword fell through time and space, creating a realm around it. The sword created a magnificent world where it landed, which soon came to be inhabited by races from across the universe.

The world of Swordbourne prospered, with the wise elves becoming the dominant race and protecting the realm, spreading the legend of the sword. Then came the humans. Quickly establishing a center of power on the main continent of Teyris, the humans explored the land for relics of a lost age and established towns and hamlets across the land.

Rumors passed down from the Elves had always spoken of the World Sword as an idea, something intangible. The Humans proved this wrong. A group of adventurers discovered a primordial cavern deep beneath the surface of the world after many long treks abroad. After fighting creatures no sane mind could fathom, they discovered a sword embedded in a glowing crystal formation. Despite her party’s warnings, the future empress seized the sword, sealing the fate of the world.

With unlimited power at her disposal, the Shadow Empress constructed her Imperial City, and spread her rule across the world. The Elves would not tolerate an Empire however, and began to organize their defenses from their home on the island of the High Forest. The Shadow War was horrific, and the Elves were defeated by the power of the Empress and the World Sword. No organized resistance has prospered since.

Humans – Humans are the dominate species of Swordbourne. From the great Imperial City to the towns and villages spotted across the landscape, humans can dwell anywhere.

Elves – The Elven homeland is on the island of High Forest. Though they were defeated in the Shadow War, Elves still maintain their proud traditions while paying tribute to the Empress. Elves are settled in many places across Teyris, including the Imperial City itself. In fact, some Elves belong to the Imperial Army, and actively support the Empire.

Drow – Nobody but the wisest elder among the High Forest knows when the Drow left High Forest and abandoned their brothers and sisters. They settled in The Great Waste, and now occupy underground tunnels and cities underneath the deadly sandstorms above.

Dwarves – Although the Dwarves kept to themselves during the Shadow War, some do travel to Teyris. The Imperial City even has a dwarven district. The Dwarven homeland is the icy continent Kassdar, their capitol is Ild'om.

Gnomes – The gnomes secretly backed the Elves in the Great War, providing great machines of destruction for them to defend Swordbourne. The Gnome homeland is along the forests and beaches of northern Teyris, on either side of the Dark Sea, an area known as the Blue Coast.

Halflings – The Halflings homeland may be far removed from Teyris, the tropical islands of Isla, but they still feel the grip of the Empire. Tributars however, fear the trek into the steamy jungles of the Halflings.

Half-Orcs – Claiming no homeland, this mixed race usually finds employment with the Imperial Army, though some choose to forge their own path.

The Year of Tribute

Established soon after the Shadow War, the year of tribute takes place every 5 years. The imperial army splinters into thousands of small bands, all lead by a Tributar, and makes their way to all of the cities, villages, and other settlements on the Tribute Register in order to collect the mandatory tribute tax levied by the Shadow Empress. This journey can take almost a year for the unlucky soldiers sent to the far ends of Swordbourne.

Last edited:

Mathew Lankard

First Post
So the basic hook for heading out and adventuring is to hopefully find some wealth to help your home town in the year of tribute. When children come of age, they usually join the Imperial Army, set out adventuring, or start their own families in town and learn a trade.

Now we just need to find a reason this group of adventureres has come across each other and decided to travel together.

Erudite

First Post
I'm working on a build, and so far have something like this:

Zana Darka, female Whisper Gnome Rogue 1

Stat Points
STR 10-2=8 2
DEX 16=2=18 10
CON 12+2=14 4
INT 14 6
WIS 14 6
CHA 12-2=10 4

BAB +0
Melee: +0 (+0 BAB -1 Str +1 size)
Ranged: +5 (+0 BAB +4 Dex +1 size)

Hit Points: 1d6+Con (8)
Initiative: +4
AC 17 (10 +4 Dex +3 armor* +1 size)
Speed 30 feet

Racial Abilities
Low-Light Vision
Dark Vision 60 feet

SAVES
Fort +2 (+0 base +2 Con)
Ref +6 (+2 base +4 Dex)
Will +2 (+0 base +2 Wis)

1. Rogue 1, Dodge (Lvl1)
2. Ranger 1
3. Rogue 2, Mobility (Lvl3)
4. Ranger 2
5. Rogue 3
6. Thief Acrobat 1, Combat Reflexes (Lvl6)
7. Thief Acrobat 2
8. Shadow Dancer 1
9. Shadow Dancer 2, Alertness (Lvl9)
10. Dungeon Delver 1
11. Dungeon Delver 2
12. Dungeon Delver 3, Blind Fight (Lvl12)
13. Dungeon Delver 4
14. Thief Acrobat 3
15. Thief Acrobat 4, Darkstalker (Lvl15)(LoM)
16. Shadow Dancer 3
17. Shadow Dancer 4
18. Shadow Dancer 5, Quick Reconnoiter (Lvl17)(CV)
19. Shadow Dancer 6
20. Shadow Dancer 7

Skills
+ 2 Appraise (Int) +2Int
+ 8 Balance (Dex) (4) +4 Dex
+ 0 Bluff (Cha) () +0 Cha
+ 3 Climb (Str) (4) -1 Str
+ 2 Concentration (Con) +2 Con
+ 2 Craft(Int) +2 Int
Decipher Script (Int)*
+ 0 Diplomacy (Cha) +0 Cha
+ 6 Disable Device (Int)* (4) +2 Int
+ 0 Disguise (Cha) +0 Cha
+ 4 Escape Artist (Dex) +4 Dex
+ 2 Forgery (Int) +2 Int
+ 0 Gather Information (Cha) +0 Cha
Handle Animal (Cha)*
+ 2 Heal (Wis) +2 Wis
+16 Hide (Dex) (4) +4 Dex +4 size +4 racial
+ 0 Intimidate (Cha) +0 Cha
+ 3 Jump (Str) (4) -1 Str
+ 4 Listen (Wis) +2 Wis +2 racial
+12 Move Silently (Dex) (4) +4 Dex +4 racial
Open Lock (Dex)*
+ 4 Performance (dance) (Cha)* (4) +0 Cha
Profession (Wis)*
+ 4 Ride (Dex) +4 Dex
+ 6 Search (Int) (4) +2 Int
+ 2 Sense Motive (Wis) +2 Wis
Sleight of Hand (Dex)*
Spellcraft (Int)*
+ 8 Spot (Wis) (4) +2 Wis +2 racial
+ 2 Survival (Wis) +2 Wis
- 1 Swim (Str) -1 Str
+8 Tumble (Dex) * (4) +4 Dex
Use Magic Device (Cha)*
+4 Use Rope (Dex) +4 Dex

Does everything a rogue should do, except sneak attack damage. I'll try to get around that at some point with a spell-storing weapon and a wand of vampiric touch, but for now his role in combat should be Aiding, Flanking, Skirmishing, and helping control the battlefield with alchemical items and mayhem. With a Spell Storing weapon, and a wand of Vampiric Touch, she can make up for the lack of sneak attack.

P.S. I have no clue how to get my character on that character sheet...Help?

Last edited:

Remove ads