• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Open Design / Wolfgang Baur to do a 4E Open Design Adventure

invokethehojo

First Post
Graf said:
I think, also, that 4e is going to be light on adventures. Even if Shadowkeep is awesome there won't be much available for a while after that (obviously Dungeon should come online in force, but I think there is anxiety over whether DDI is going to arrive on time/be decent/etc).

People who love DnD and normally want to do it by themselves may thing that 30 bucks, (which includes a premium adventure) may not be a lot to get a good look at how to build a 4e adventure from the ground up.

Actually right now they have 6 adventures slated to come out within the first 8 months, 4 heroics and 2 paragons

If anything 4e looks to have more adventures than previous editions, which is fine by me

Last edited:

Admiral Caine

First Post
Updates and Sneak Peeks!

invokethehojo said:
Actually right now they have 6 adventures slated to come out within the first 8 months, 4 heroics and 2 paragons

If anything 4e looks to have more adventures than previous editions, which is fine by me

Agreed, you can never have too many.. and I think we can agree that diversity among publishers is a good thing. Different styles and flavors of adventures come out, and positive competition is healthy in terms of raising the bar on quality. And I mean that in no way as a sleight against any company.. there's just a synergistic effect when multiple companies do good work.

But I didn't just ressurect this thread to shill some more. There is some news!

The deadline to get this project fully funded is going on till the end of June, to allow people to look at the rules (possibly H1), and then consider joining.

Right now the project is 70% funded, and we just need a few more patrons.

The current Patrons have had some discussions about the projected levels, and the consensus seems to be between 4th and 7th level, but that is not yet set in stone.

ART? This is not the final cover.. This is just a mock-up cover that will be tweaked, but we have been treated with a glimpse of the artwork.. which in the interest of recruitment I will share! It speaks to the folklore and Fae touches that Wolfgang tenatively (cause Patrons have a voice!) plans to incorporate. I think it's beautiful and eerie..

TAKE A SNEAK PEEK HERE

Final thoughts.. It would be inappropriate to make any comparison to another product. But bear in mind, with an Open Design Project, you're seeing the adventure as a work in progress. If there is something about it you'd like to see changed or improved, or expanded upon, you have a voice. You're not buying an adventure sight unseen only to feel hard done by afterwards. That's an frickan awesome value from an established publisher.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Admiral Caine said:
ART? This is not the final cover.. This is just a mock-up cover that will be tweaked, but we have been treated with a glimpse of the artwork.. which in the interest of recruitment I will share! It speaks to the folklore and Fae touches that Wolfgang tenatively (cause Patrons have a voice!) plans to incorporate. I think it's beautiful and eerie..

TAKE A SNEAK PEEK HERE

Very nice, I like a lot.

Admiral Caine

First Post
vagabundo said:
Very nice, I like a lot.

Cool!

I can't speak for Wolfgang on this, but I *think* he might offer a European rate for overseas patrons, if you're interested.

Or I could find out for you if you'd like to know more...

Stomphoof

First Post
This interests me greatly, as I am always trying to learn how to better organize and create adventures and stories and campaigns ect.

Does the $30 donation cover EACH project or only the one he is currently working on? Like would I donate $30 for each adventure or would a single $30 donation cover me overall?

Because I dont need things in print so the $30 level, with the ability to throw feedback and ideas out there along with access to the design essays articles and the like is enough for me.

Admiral Caine

First Post
Stomphoof said:
This interests me greatly, as I am always trying to learn how to better organize and create adventures and stories and campaigns ect.

Does the $30 donation cover EACH project or only the one he is currently working on? Like would I donate $30 for each adventure or would a single $30 donation cover me overall?

Because I dont need things in print so the $30 level, with the ability to throw feedback and ideas out there along with access to the design essays articles and the like is enough for me.

Great questions Stomphoof.

Each donation only covers one Project.

Currently two projects are being funded, one for 4E, and one for 3.5. They are entirely seperate projects, as will be required by the GSL. I haven't been talking too much about the 3.5 project, because I don't want the moderators to become upset with me. This being the 4E foums and all.

All the prior 3.5 Projects have been set in a default setting that Wolfgang is working on called the Free City of Zobeck (though really, they are transportable to nearly any setting, he specifically makes them to be portable). The 4E project, Wrath of the River King, will stand on it's own and be made to fit into the individual GM's campaign setting of choice.

You can donate to both, if you so desire. He doesn't make you choose. :D

The donation schedule is a little different for Wrath of the River King, than it is for the 3.5 Project. $30.00 pretty much gets you access to all discussion at all levels, while a $100.00 gets you a face to face game and a printed version.

In the 3.5 Projects, there is an extra level.. We have Patrons for $25.00, and they get discussion and input. At $75.00 you get a lot more discussion, a lot more voice in what you like and dislike, and you see the whole manuscript as it's written, preview the art, maps and so on. Those are called Senior Patrons.

Because 4th Edition is a new game, and there's going to be a learning curve for the Creator and the patrons, $30.00 gets you almost everything for Wrath of the River King, and that makes it a pretty nice deal, really.

Of course, learning the system, and learning to design for it will be part of the fun... because for once the Professional doesn't have too much of a headstart on you (other than his years of Professional Magazine Editing). On the other hand, you don't have to look at it as a labratory experiment, many patrons just want a damn fine adventure for 4E.

I hope this helps!

Admiral Caine

First Post
As mentioned earlier, he does have a European rate...

19 euros for a basic patronage, or 48 euros for a senior patronage. It must be through Paypal it directly; note that he cannot accept checks in euros.

So there is that option available...

Monkey King

Explorer
To be fair, I do have a bit of a head start, because I'll be running KotS with 4E playtesters this weekend, and I am fortunate enough to game with WotC and Paizo staff from time to time.

Plus, hey, I'm a quick study. My notes on Shadowfell and how that translates into better design for Wrath are coming together pretty nicely. Hope to post those for patrons shortly.

Stomphoof

First Post
I couldnt find where to donate for the 4th Ed Access....

Also - Has he already started the process, and if so, do I get access to all the work already done once I donate?

Admiral Caine

First Post
Monkey King said:
To be fair, I do have a bit of a head start, because I'll be running KotS with 4E playtesters this weekend, and I am fortunate enough to game with WotC and Paizo staff from time to time.

Plus, hey, I'm a quick study. My notes on Shadowfell and how that translates into better design for Wrath are coming together pretty nicely. Hope to post those for patrons shortly.

Sorry for the unintended sleight! :D

Patrons can be confident!

Remove ads