Opposed checks

rasguy

Explorer
I'm still a little fuzzy on opposed checks. For example escaping from a grab. You make an athletics check versus Fortitude. Does the creature's Fortitude become the DC, or do both creatures make a roll and apply the appropriate modifiers?

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Escaping from a grab is Athletics versus Fortitude or Acrobatics versus Reflex. In those cases, the creature's Fortitude or Reflex defense is the DC for the Athletics or Acrobatics check.

An opposed check is different, and rather uncommon in 4e. It tends to come up when two characters are fighting over the same thing. For arm wrestling, you might make opposed Strength checks (each creature makes a Strength check; highest check wins). You could do something similar if they're competing to solve a puzzle with Intelligence checks, or seeing who's better at darts with Dexterity checks. You could have an eating or drinking contest be done with opposed Endurance checks.

A common use of opposed checks comes when one creature tries to hide from another. The hiding creature makes a Stealth check with a DC equal to the passive Perception of the one it's hiding from. If the creature becomes hidden, its opponent can make an active Perception check against the Stealth check that the hider made to hide. It's an opposed check with a time gap (I make my Stealth check now; if it beats your passive Perception you make an opposed Perception check later against my earlier Stealth result).

rasguy

Explorer
Thanks for the quick response.

The wording in the Rules Compendium is a little confusing. When describing a power the template is something like "Strength vs. Fortitude." The wording for Escapte on page 243 is: "If no DC is specified, an Acrobatics check is opposed by the Reflex of the immobilizing creature or effect."

I found the inclusion of the word "opposed" a little unclear.

rasguy

Explorer
In cases where it is unclear, would go with what makes sense to you, as the DM.

I agree but I only DM for D&D Encounters so I try to stick as close to rules as written as much as possible. I've only recently jumped back into D&D and I found the rules are more involved than in the gaming days of my youth.

Remove ads