• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimizing Favored Soul Sorcerer

IAmTimeGhost

First Post
I see a lot of mentions that Favored Soul is a particularly strong brand of sorcerer, but I never see it in any optimization forums when I try reading up on it. I'm going to be starting up in a buddy's campaign here in a couple weeks and I'd like to get the best bang-for-buck that I can as he's particularly fond of challenging runs. We're starting at level 1, but continuing on as long as we're alive. I'm lead to believe that dipping warlock after sorc is a strong combo. What all do you recommend?

For a caster favored soul, high Charisma (obviously), 14 Dexterity (you get medium armor so a +2 Dex is the highest Dex bonus you can get from medium armor) and Constitution (for concentration, hit points and general survivability). Life domain is attractive because it nets several strong low-level spells a sorcerer would normally not have access to: bless, cure wounds, spiritual weapon and lesser restoration. Bless+Sorcerer attack cantrips+Spiritual Weapon (which is a bonus action) gives an increased chance to hit and strong round-to-round damage. And never underestimate the ability to cure your own wounds, especially with twinned spell.

If you only want to focus on arcane spells and don't care about encroaching on the cleric spell list, both the Light and Trickery domains offer strong options. Light offers many strong blast spells you would have wanted anyway (burning hands, scorching ray, fireball, perhaps wall of fire) as well as faerie fire, a strong first level spell you would not normally have access to. This frees you up to grab some utility choices with your precious few spells known. Trickery is the reverse, offering strong utility and defensive options (mirror image, pass without trace, blink, dimension door, polymorph) leaving you room for attack spells.

I don't play gishes, but I hear that war and death are the domains of choice for that. Although I think life domain could work for that as well because of bless. A recommended build for an archer gish I've seen is Fighter 1 (archery fighting style) /Favored Soul 19 (life domain). Archery fighting style + sharpshooter feat + bless is deadly.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Take a look at fighter 2 / Pali 6 / Favored Soul 12

Lots of smites, +cha to all saves, start fighter for con saves, quick spells, spiritual weapon when you run out of metamagic, twin haste, heavy armor, action surge, gets you level 6 sorc spells with a top level slot of 8.

If going Sword and Board, then Fiend Tomelock 3 allows for Shillelagh to be used for a Cha-based switch hitter. Use Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast for ranged attacks and Shillelagh + Greenflame Blade/Boom Blade for melee.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Is Favored Soul more for gishs/fighter mages, then?

Doesn't have to be, but the features make it possible and 2x attack + quick spells makes it attractive.

You can also ignore your extra attack feature (or use a bow) and just hang back and enjoy the extra spell list and better armor.

IAmTimeGhost

First Post
Doesn't have to be, but the features make it possible and 2x attack + quick spells makes it attractive.

You can also ignore your extra attack feature (or use a bow) and just hang back and enjoy the extra spell list and better armor.

Would it be worth it to take FS over Draconic? The idea I've had was to use (at DM's discretion) the Eladrin subrace in my half-elf sorc to use Misty Step. Basically, to run around using Agonizing Blast from a lock 2 dip and teleport out of any danger that catches me.

Would it be worth it to take FS over Draconic? The idea I've had was to use (at DM's discretion) the Eladrin subrace in my half-elf sorc to use Misty Step. Basically, to run around using Agonizing Blast from a lock 2 dip and teleport out of any danger that catches me.

Draconic makes you a better (elemental) blaster. FS offers stronger utility and flexibility.

If you are going to be running a Sorcerer X/Warlock 2 and relying mostly on eldritch blast (force) for your offense, that makes the elemental affinity bonus from the Draconic bloodline somewhat less attractive. I would probably go FS. If you take the life domain, Bless + Agonizing Blast on your eldritch blast would make it formidable -- a bonus to hit and damage with an energy type which very few have resistance to. I would also consider Quickened Spell so you can cast a regular spell if necessary and shoot an eldritch blast in the same round. You can immediately activate your bless and fire eldritch blast in the same round, for instance. Keep in mind that if you quicken a 1st level or higher spell, the other spell cast during that round can only be a cantrip. So tossing 2 fireballs in the same round is illegal. But since eldritch blast is your main offense Quicken Spell fits nicely.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Favored Soul is awesome, but you guys got it wrong.

Don't combo it with Paladin or Fighter, you already get the extra attack from favored soul. Doubling up on that ability is a waste.

If you want to make a Gish and you're looking at 5-6 pally or Fighter levels already, make it a storm Sorcerer.

The FS gives you armor, extra attack, and some free spells. (You get 2/3 from multiclassing Fighter or Paladin anyway). The storm gives you free spells and a slew of other abilities.

Coyote81

First Post
Favored Soul Sorcerer14, Tome Warlock of Undying Light3, Swashbuckler 3 seems the way to go. Lots of fun with Short rest spell slots and metamagic. The ability to fly and to get up after being reduced to 0 once per long rest. Dont' forget the +CHA to fire and radiant damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads