• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Origin of Halflings

Gez

First Post
Jack Vance uses the term in this meaning IIRC. There are several halflings in Lyonesse, and they're all what D&D would call half-fey.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
They're called "halflings" because "Nodwicks" is copyrighted. ;)

:lol: They're not nearly strong enough for that job, mind you. They get -2 strengths and may only carry 3/4 of what a human could carry, so they'd be bad henchmen.

craftyrat

First Post
From the OED:

Halfling: Sc. and north, also haflin, hawflin, halflin
A. sb. 1. One not fully grown, a stripling
2. the half of a silverling or old silver penny
B. adj. Not fully grown, about the age of 15
with quotes from 1794 and 1815

however, there is also an entry for Halfling (adv.), Now only Sc.
halflunge, halvelings, haflen, hallfinngess, halflingis, haf(f)lins
To the extent of a half, half; in part, partially
quotes for this are much older (1225, He nis brute halflunge upo Godes rode)

craftyrat

JohnSnow

Hero
Jack Vance uses the term in this meaning IIRC. There are several halflings in Lyonesse, and they're all what D&D would call half-fey.

Well, to be fair, Vance didn't originate that usage. IIRC, "halfling" and "changeling" were two terms used for the "half-fey" in the myths and legends of the British isles. So, with those fey associations, as well as the OED meanings of "half-grown," I imagine that's where Tolkien nipped the idea.

It's worth noting that "Hobbit" is a Tolkien-ism "translation variant" of "hobbledehoy" and "holbytlan" ('hole-dweller') correlating to the Westron words that were corrupted into the term the "hobbits" used for themselves. So Tolkien "invented" a word (hobbit) of similar derivation in English to reflect that. IDHMBWMATM, so I can't tell you what the Westron was, but I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the appendix.

RFisher

Explorer
Gez said:

I completely forgot about that! Being reinforced by Vance is probably what kept the idea in my head.

craftyrat said:
From the OED:

Thanks, craftyrat!

Remove ads