• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSRIC 2.0 Released today

Meek

First Post
I've checked out the site in question in a little more depth and the one thing I've realized is that these guys are, by their own admission, young gamers. It makes sense, particularly when the reviewer starts with the fact that D&D 3.5 was where he started.

So my interpretation of this is that this is a generational thing and this whole conversation comes down to the old-timers telling the kids to show some respect and the kids telling gramps to shut up and take his Geritol. It's kind of funny, really, especially when we're constantly bemoaning the fact that the hobby is having a hard time attracting the younger generation, yet when the next generation shows up, warts and all, we don't exactly welcome them. And that's the problem with youth - no respect for their elders and lots of lessons to learn.

Get off our lawn!

Sure thing! (And I find your summation of the situation rather humorously accurate).

I just want the devs and fans of OSRIC to know that it wasn't personal, and I wasn't trying to attack them or to spoil their big debut of 2.0. You just got a lot of work out into the public and you would be touchy about negative opinions. I should have been aware of the timing and its implications, and I wasn't. That was a failure on my part. It was just another review for me in the way I usually do them. It was not meant to target OSRIC or it's fanbase nor to draw petty ire from anybody, but to present the broad stereotypes and extremes that I and my readers are routinely faced with and turn into humor, while also talking about an RPG product and continuing some of the discussions and themes that my readers have been wanting for some time.

If it and the following comments on the blog post were offensive to OSRIC or its fanbase, I apologize. My intention was not to stir up emotions on unrelated forums. My handling of this situation left a very sour taste in my mouth. I don't want my editors or contributors to feel like they have to come here trying to explain my actions or mistakes (that means you, Faury) because I can't do so. I can, and I do.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Anyone found a typo or mistake in it yet? I've proofread it, and so have the other authors, but fresh eyes really help... I'm relying on the public to help find the mistakes before I start taking people's money for print copies. :)

There's one serious one I already know about: the sample dungeon doesn't have room numbers.

I've just tap danced thru it so far. Looks good. I think I'll be doing a rare event for me and ordering a LuLu copy for myself (and maybe a few more to hand out at my old group's yearly gathering).

In the meantime I expect I'll be yoking quite a bit of the monster section for my C&C game.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Sure thing! (And I find your summation of the situation rather humorously accurate).

I just want the devs and fans of OSRIC to know that it wasn't personal, and I wasn't trying to attack them or to spoil their big debut of 2.0. You just got a lot of work out into the public and you would be touchy about negative opinions. I should have been aware of the timing and its implications, and I wasn't. That was a failure on my part. It was just another review for me in the way I usually do them. It was not meant to target OSRIC or it's fanbase nor to draw petty ire from anybody, but to present the broad stereotypes and extremes that I and my readers are routinely faced with and turn into humor, while also talking about an RPG product and continuing some of the discussions and themes that my readers have been wanting for some time.

If it and the following comments on the blog post were offensive to OSRIC or its fanbase, I apologize. My intention was not to stir up emotions on unrelated forums. My handling of this situation left a very sour taste in my mouth. I don't want my editors or contributors to feel like they have to come here trying to explain my actions or mistakes (that means you, Faury) because I can't do so. I can, and I do.

You riled up the seniors, and we can be a bunch of Grumpy Old Men... heh

But yeah, shock jock style reviews can be offensive to those that aren't in your target audience.

Oh, and if you ask nicely I might let you on my lawn to retrieve your ball... maybe ;)

Okay, we're cool now. :)

Obryn

Hero
For what it's worth...

(1) P&P, I can't wait to buy a copy off Lulu. You've done a remarkable job with this, and it's very impressive.

(2) I think Meek & Faury's reviews are pretty damn hilarious. I'm enjoying reading them, and I'm working my way through the site now. So, I know it ruffles some feathers, but I hope you keep on producing reviews like this. Don't spare the snark.

-O

sjmiller

Explorer
I'd rather like it if instead of cheering on your fans to send me emails about how I'm a pedophile for liking anime, and childishly attacking me for unrelated things, we could talk about why you're so upset, and why you can't handle the joke.
Well, I cannot speak for anyone else, but I can tell you why I did not find your "review" helpful. The vulgar language, needless attacks on the reader and on those who like the retro-game genre, and a generally crass presentation is quite off-putting, to be honest. If that is what your regular readers like and want, that is fine. However, someone coming in to just read this review will be in for a bit of a shock and may find it objectionable. This style of writing is not for everyone, so you should not be surprised that people object to it. Oh, and for the record, the fact that you like anime has nothing to do with my opinion of the review. I do not understand the fascination some people have with anime, but that doesn't mean I have anything against the person.

sjmiller

Explorer
Anyone found a typo or mistake in it yet? I've proofread it, and so have the other authors, but fresh eyes really help... I'm relying on the public to help find the mistakes before I start taking people's money for print copies. :)

There's one serious one I already know about: the sample dungeon doesn't have room numbers.
I have not had a chance to go over it in detail as of yet. I have a couple of other editing projects I am working on, and I am supposed to be writing some material for a new game that I have to get done ASAP. I will give it a look real soon, I promise!

Treebore

First Post
Well, I cannot speak for anyone else, but I can tell you why I did not find your "review" helpful. The vulgar language, needless attacks on the reader and on those who like the retro-game genre, and a generally crass presentation is quite off-putting, to be honest. If that is what your regular readers like and want, that is fine. However, someone coming in to just read this review will be in for a bit of a shock and may find it objectionable. This style of writing is not for everyone, so you should not be surprised that people object to it. Oh, and for the record, the fact that you like anime has nothing to do with my opinion of the review. I do not understand the fascination some people have with anime, but that doesn't mean I have anything against the person.

I've never listened to "Shock Jock" radio broadcasters and I am certainly not going to read blogs of similar poor taste. Such "practice" just feeds the behavior into the general populace. A general populace who proves time and time again that they aren't necessarily smart enough to leave ascerbic language out of day to day conversations.

For example, there are plenty of people who do not let Rap or Rock music influence them to behave badly. There are still far too many who do.

Scribble

First Post
I've never listened to "Shock Jock" radio broadcasters and I am certainly not going to read blogs of similar poor taste. Such "practice" just feeds the behavior into the general populace. A general populace who proves time and time again that they aren't necessarily smart enough to leave ascerbic language out of day to day conversations.

For example, there are plenty of people who do not let Rap or Rock music influence them to behave badly. There are still far too many who do.

Censoring is not the answer to the issue. That's sort of like painting a moldy wall and saying there's no more problem.

Treebore

First Post
Censoring is not the answer to the issue. That's sort of like painting a moldy wall and saying there's no more problem.

Its not censoring when parents don't let their children listen to it. Its not censoring when I refuse to listen to it. Its only censoring when a government says your not allowed to say it, or listen to it.

Remove ads