OSRIC 2.0 Released today

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Deluxe Hardcover: 8.25" x 10.5" casewrap hardcover, colour cover with colour interior, on standard paper, 402 pages. $100 plus shipping. (I don't expect to sell very many of these but the offer will be there!)

Wanna bet? Considering that I won't be buying any 4E ... I might just be very tempted ...

Ditto. That would be my first purchase of '09 if I'm able to put in an order for it in January.

Ditto. That would be my first purchase of '09 if I'm able to put in an order for it in January.

We'll see. I'm on holiday over the Christmas period. When I get back in early January, I'll fix the typos and make the corrections people send me, and get a proof.

If I charge you $100 for a book, I don't want to be apologising to you afterwards for problems with it!

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
P&P et alia:

Thanks for OSRIC - it's OSome! Last night I thoroughly read through the "How to Play" chapter and really enjoyed it. I've recently begun a 1E campaign and that chapter offered clear summaries of the basics, clearing up confusion I've had on surprise, initiative, time and movement (combat, dungeon, wilderness) among other things. Needless to say, there's also plenty of good DM'ing and PC'ing advice. Call me crazy, but I've actually decided to use 1E segments rather than 2E initiative after reading OSRIC, heh. Enough though, I don't want to sound like you've paid me.

Anyway, I do plan on buying a copy, so I thought I'd mention one minor presentation issue I noticed. In the "How to Play" chapter, there's a section on Exploring the Wilderness (p.140), where you offer a brief summary of play order contained in a wilderness turn (steps 1-7), then elaborate on the steps. Each step's elaboration has a number and title in bold, which makes it easy to follow. In the "Adventure and Exploration" section (p.135), there's also a brief summary of play order, but then the elaboration (p.136-139) doesn't really have corresponding numbers or bolding. I think the presentation in Exploring the Wilderness is easier to follow because of the additional numbering and bolding. If it's possible, you might consider using this format in the Adventure and Exploration section too.

Anyway, thanks again all your and your teammates' hard work.

T. Foster

First Post
P&P et alia:

Thanks for OSRIC - it's OSome! Last night I thoroughly read through the "How to Play" chapter and really enjoyed it. I've recently begun a 1E campaign and that chapter offered clear summaries of the basics, clearing up confusion I've had on surprise, initiative, time and movement (combat, dungeon, wilderness) among other things. Needless to say, there's also plenty of good DM'ing and PC'ing advice. Call me crazy, but I've actually decided to use 1E segments rather than 2E initiative after reading OSRIC, heh. Enough though, I don't want to sound like you've paid me.

Anyway, I do plan on buying a copy, so I thought I'd mention one minor presentation issue I noticed. In the "How to Play" chapter, there's a section on Exploring the Wilderness (p.140), where you offer a brief summary of play order contained in a wilderness turn (steps 1-7), then elaborate on the steps. Each step's elaboration has a number and title in bold, which makes it easy to follow. In the "Adventure and Exploration" section (p.135), there's also a brief summary of play order, but then the elaboration (p.136-139) doesn't really have corresponding numbers or bolding. I think the presentation in Exploring the Wilderness is easier to follow because of the additional numbering and bolding. If it's possible, you might consider using this format in the Adventure and Exploration section too.

Anyway, thanks again all your and your teammates' hard work.
Thanks for your kind words. That chapter (to me) is the best part of OSRIC because it takes the existing 1E rules and explains them more clearly and concisely than the actual 1E rulebooks ever did without actually changing them. Of course I may just feel that way because that's the chapter I did the most work on personally ;)

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, taking the numbers and sub-headers out of the dungeon exploration section was my decision, because I wanted a more free-flowing, conversational essay style and the stricter format interefered with that. However, there should still be bold words at the beginning of each subsection to serve as guideposts (following the same order as the flowchart on pp. 135-6) that appear to have been lost in the formatting:

p. 136, 2nd column: "Movement during dungeon exploration..."
p. 137, 1st column: "Listening may be performed..."
p. 137, 2nd column: "Opening doors is not normally difficult..."
p. 138, 1st column: "Mapping is a key element..."
p. 138, 2nd column: "Searching for hidden treasure..."
p. 139, 1st column: "Disarming traps is normally a job..."
p. 139, 1st column: "Casting spells is detailed..."
p. 139, 1st column: "Rest periods are typically necessary..."
p. 139, 2nd column: "Other actions are defined..."

Hey, Stuart: were those bold words removed deliberately or by accident? And if it was the former, can we get them put back in -- pretty please? I agree with Chainsaw that without them that 4 page block of solid text becomes pretty unwieldy (which is not at all the effect I was going for...).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its impressive, and cudos to the many that worked on it.

The "How to Play" and especially the "Dungeons, Towns, and Wilderness" chapters managed to both bring back good memories and be well enough organized that I could use some of them in my (not old school) game.

It almost made me want to break out some old modules and run "as is".

Almost, but not quite. ;)

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Thanks for your kind words. That chapter (to me) is the best part of OSRIC because it takes the existing 1E rules and explains them more clearly and concisely than the actual 1E rulebooks ever did without actually changing them. Of course I may just feel that way because that's the chapter I did the most work on personally ;)

Thanks again TFoster. I'm not normally one that enjoys reading the rules (I'd rather be playing of course), but that chapter connected so many dots that I had to stop and comment to someone (my poor wife) about how helpful (and painless) it was. Honestly, it was so liberating that I felt like someone had given me the keys to a brand new car, heh.

Anyway, as for the numbering and bolding, your comment that both makes the text feel less free flowing and conversational makes sense. I'm sure bolding alone would create sufficient guideposts.

Hey, Stuart: were those bold words removed deliberately or by accident? And if it was the former, can we get them put back in -- pretty please? I agree with Chainsaw that without them that 4 page block of solid text becomes pretty unwieldy (which is not at all the effect I was going for...).

By accident I think. I'll see if I can't get that fixed for the print version.

TerraDave: Give in to your anger. Oh yes. Come on over to the Gygaxian side. Just break out those old modules and run a session or two... and see if something in your head doesn't go "Bree-Yark!" and drag you back, kicking and screaming, into the 1980's when men were real men (often with sideburns), women were real women (often in dolphin shorts and much too much hairspray), and 10 ft poles were real 10 ft poles (and there were up to three of them in every adventuring group)!

Only if you realize which camp your misunderstanding of my irony places you in. ;)

-O
I spat my coffee...O you owe me a new G15 ;)

It is a great piece of work this and at a quite reasonable price. I can't see us playing it until we have done the 'full 30' in 4E but maybe we will go back........it is a good read so thanks

Darkwolf71

First Post
That brings the total number of people interested in that to two. :)

I expect the $8.50-ish softcover on the cheap paper to be the big seller, because it'll make a cheap table-copy of the rules that you don't mind lending to a friend and it's okay to spill coffee on.

You might be suprised. Oh, I'm sure it won't sell hundreds, but I'm betting it will sell dozens. I prefer hardbacks to softcovers for (IMO) obvious reasons, and the fact that I could brake this out and leave my in-very-good-condition 1e books on the shelf, nice and safe... Not even a question. Sold!

Remove ads