• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT Computer OS) Which Should I Use Win2000 or XPpro?

JDragon

Explorer
Hello all,

I'm looking for thoughts on what OS I should put in the new computer I just purchased that will be delivered later this week.

I have access to Win98 2e, Win2000pro, or WinXPpro.

I will mainly be using the comp for email, internet, video games and D&D stuff (ie custom programs, Master tools, etc.)

I also do some graphics stuff with Photoshop and such.

I realize their are other options out there, but as of right now I only have the above to chose from.

Please keep this civil as we all have our fav's and thats cool.

Thanks

JDragon

dagger

Adventurer
Nothing really wrong with Win 98se, but I would go with Xp if all the hardware you are going to use is ok driver wise.

Rinndalir

First Post
XP Pro 0wnz - it's hands down THE BEST MS OS EVAR. And, believe it or not, it's less of a resource hog than 2k (somehow). If you're getting modern hardware, go for XP Pro. I've been running it for nearly 6 months now and love it...

Nareau

Explorer
I played with XP for the first time this weekend...

And I hated it. Granted, I didn't do a whole lot with it (nothing more complex than watch a DVD). But I felt like I was using a box of crayons. It was like someone had taken all the things I hate about MacOS, and combined it with all the things I hate about Windows.

But I love Win2k. It's (IMHO) far superior to Win98.

Liquide

DEX: 4
You don't even have to ask, I have had meddled with Win95, Win98, W2kPro, WXPPro all on the same comp even ;).

The only thing I can tell is to go for the W2KPro, it is the most stable OS of them all and is a lot faster to handle complex Photoshop files aswell (which is a plus ;) ).

Took XP 8 minutes to render an effect for me in a 10,000px x 10,000px and for w2k it only took around 3 with the same computer and OS settings (and same image aswell).

And I have had as little problems with w2k as it is possible with a Micro$sloth OS, no bluescreens for 6 months.

Xp on the other hand (all versions I might add), started to screw with me and my settings in less then 2 weeks didn't matter which version I ran on the camp.

So my tip: w2k, stable and nice technology.
Avoid: XP for gods sake never put this into your comp

WinXP Pro is hands down the best OS I've ever had. It's stable, it's fast and it hasn't it doesn't break down on me like W98 used to do. You'll need fairly modern hardware, though, otherwise your computer's performance should suffer. Moreover, be sure you have easy access to a lot of new drivers as many programs need to be updated for WinXP....

-Zarrock

I bougth a notebook two weeks ago, and the OS is Windows XP Professional.
The new "interface" seems to be a bit too colored, but that is nothing I could not live with.
So far I had only a few actual problems.

One thing that made some trouble was a home network. Though I installed it by the given programms and "wizards", some things were simply not activated, but that could be done by hand (you just have to search for it, which isn`t always the easiest task).
The only problem I still have now is that I can get access from other computers (using Win98 and Win98SE) to the notebook, but the notebook can`t access those computers...
It seems as if network problems will never be solved by M$. :)

Otherwise, the system is fast and stable. Jagged Alliance 2 works very well (the only game I play on the notebook, besides the preinstalled pinball :) ), and everything else does also.

I only have Experience with Win95, Win98, Win98SE and WinXPPro, and I would recommend 1st Windows XP Professional, and 2nd Windows 98 Second Edition...

Mustrum Ridcully

maddman75

First Post
Win XP has serious problems and security issues - Go with 2k. As far as driver support, stability, etc., there is almost no difference between the two. XP is a huge step backwards for Microsoft. Win2k is my favorite Microsoft Operating system. Problems I've heard with Win XP

- Older hardware not supported (this is a problem with 2k as well. If you have older hardware or programs you want to run, dual boot into 98)

- Registration. You may not have a problem with Billy G knowing what goes into your computer and how often you reinstall, but I certainly do.

- Spyware. Guys in the comp.os.vms newsgroup ( a group of very serious mainframe programmers) hooked up an ethernet sniffer to an XP box with just the OS installed, and found packets heading for microsoft. Contents were encrypted.

- Security. One of the "features" is universal plug and play. It allows someone to remotely control your computer, for instance a repairman. But, its been cracked. Make sure you turn this off(its on by default)

- So-called Firewall. While not a direct security hole, the firewall provided with Win XP does next to nothing to protect you. So the uneducated consumer thinks he's safe, but is like putting a screen door on your house with a little hook latch to keep criminals out. It isn't going to stop someone with any determination at all. Get Zone Alarm if you need a good free personal firewall. (You need one if you have Broadband)

- Open sockets. This is techie stuff, but basically Win XP is much better at flooding net traffic in a DDOS. Which means that its a more appealing target for hackers, especially if you have braodband. Combine that with well known MS security holes, and you are waving a flag saying "Hack me! Over here!"

- Butt-ugly interface. I know you can turn it off so it looks like old windows, but this interface is so bad it offends the tastes that it even exists. Go to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/maddman_75 and look in the public folder, I've got a few screenshots of what a REAL desktop can look like :) (Linux mandrake 8.0, KDE, Alpha theme)

- Service Pack Three. One of the derogatory names for the OS. Go to exploerer, help, about. Win2k lists itself as Windows NT 5.0. WinXP is Windows NT5.1. Its not a huge step forward, its what should have been available in an update.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads