• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT Computer OS) Which Should I Use Win2000 or XPpro?

Wil

First Post
Will DHCP really help to keep someone out, though? The default lease on WinXP is (I believe) 8 days, which gives them plenty of time to sniff out your IP address (heck, even the 72 hours for WinNT is more than enough time for someone who's dedicated). Unless I'm on crack and I've misunderstood something fundamental about DHCP all this time. If I'm right, you'd still need a firewall at least.

Unless (little gears whirring here) you're using DHCP as a proxy server. THAT will help out quite a bit...but the firewall is probably a good recommendation anyway.

I KNEW getting that Network+ certification would be worth something...now I just need someone to give me a job so I can practice my knowledge :)

Randolpho

First Post
It's so much fun to watch the penguins come out to lambast Microsoft every chance they get.

News flash: linux aint all that great as a gui OS. Hell, linux itself doesn't even *have* a gui, it's just got a windows 3.1-style shell program for gui stuff. Which isn't *nearly* as stable or even as secure as the first release of Windows 95 was.

If you want a nice command-line batch-processing OS, get any flavor of unix you like. If you want gui, get the latest version of Windows. Or OSX, I rather like that (although I'm worried about Finder legacy). But if you get a Mac, for gods sake, drop that stupid hockey-puck of a mouse and get an Intellimouse Explorer (still the best damn mouse out there)! Oh, and make sure there are actual programs that you want to run for MacOS. Macs are notorious for not having jack :):):):) for software... :p

In closing.... some PvP:
pvp19990818.gif

Last edited:

buzzard

First Post
Randolpho said:
It's so much fun to watch the penguins come out to lambast Microsoft every chance they get.

This is a bad thing how?

Randolpho said:

News flash: linux aint all that great as a gui OS. Hell, linux itself doesn't even *have* a gui, it's just got a windows 3.1-style shell program for gui stuff. Which isn't *nearly* as stable or even as secure as the first release of Windows 95 was.

If you want a nice command-line batch-processing OS, get any flavor of unix you like. If you want gui, get the latest version of Windows. Or OSX, I rather like that (although I'm worried about Finder legacy). But if you get a Mac, for gods sake, drop that stupid hockey-puck of a mouse and get an Intellimouse Explorer (still the best damn mouse out there)! Oh, and make sure there are actual programs that you want to run for MacOS. Macs are notorious for not having jack :):):):) for software... :p

Actually Macs haven't had those worthless hockey pucks for about 2 years. Damn, some screwups just live forever.
Nowadays they have a nice little oval shaped optical mouse where the whole things clicks like a button. It's transparent and quite cool looking. I might pick up a Logitech optical for mine, simply for games, but for day to day the base one works fine.
As for software, well a Mac certainly doesn't have all that a PC does. However it has pretty much everything Linux has now that unix software is getting recompiled en masse. Also it has all the Mac stuff that's been around a while.

Buzzard

DM_Matt

First Post
I am an OSX fan myself, but if you are going M$ and are not doing extremely serious photoshop power user work, go XP Pro (or corporate if possible). In order to limit spyware, buy the furthest step from Home (Avoid like the plague), be sure to go through all known steps to disable what is left, and then use a tracer and a firewall to block outgoing traffic on M$s spy ports.

XP IS almost as stable, and easier to use and maintain. If you are more of a power-user, tohugh, you can go for 2k.

A funny story about XP home. My friend's new HP laptop is messed up to the point of requiring a sys reinstall to allow full functioning. However, their deal with M$ stipulates that the customer is only entitled to restore CDs that erase everything, and all that the comp has for backup is a floppy (why the h*ll do you Windows users stil use that sh*t?).

In spite of the fact that , as I live in a college dorm, you'd think that absolutely any software could be found, I was completely unable to find a WinXP Home Ed CD to reinstall off of with her completely legitimate serial #.

Since Home is too full of spyware to pirate, and since everyone who builds their own computer pirates the OS, and everyone who knows what they are doing and buys a corporate-made computer will either spend a little extra for XP Pro, or get whatever OS is cheapest and then pirate XP Pro or Corporate to put on it, the only people who have XP Home are newbies who buy their computers from corporations.

However, M$ tends to have the same corrupt, consumer @$$-raping policy with most other corporate manufacturers as well, preventing people from trying to properly maintian their machines. Thus, not wanting to ruin a perfectly good license by putting a pirated copy of XP Pro (the only version anyone had) on (besides, she is the kind to send tihngs in for service...that would be bad) I had to do an Xover cable backup, a refresh cd run, and an Xover reutrn.

M$ thus screws over newbies who dont know any better, as those are the only people who actually pay for their $550 OS's anyway.

Contrast that with Apple. My Mac came with reformatting refresh CDs, but it also came with separate bootable, computer-specific OS X AND 9 CDs, as well, as the one of each in its stardard form as it would be availible off the shelf. Heck, my keyboard came with an OS 9.1 update CD, just in case. And OS X only costs $130, and thats the most that Apple has ever dared to charge.

Tsyr

Explorer
Some good software, yes... not all though. And most of it I feel is overpriced, but that's just my view.

Their HARDWARE though is actualy pretty dang nice. I love my optical mouse and my sidewinder2 joystick. Don't like their keyboards, though... But, I'm spoiled... I love my old "five ton chunk of steel" IBM/PS2 keyboard with the loud-as-hammers keys and huge, thick cable...

Whats funny with some MS bashers though is it goes a bit like this...

Basher: Micro$soft suX0rs.
Me: So you use Linux, right?
Basher: Um, no, windows... I need to run my programs...
Me: Oh, but you at least have a dual boot to Linux right?
Basher: Uh, no...
Me: But you have at least installed it at one point in your life, right?
Basher: Uh, no...
Me: Why not?
Basher: It's too complicated...
Me: ...
Me: Well, do you use Mac OS then?
Basher: No, like I said, I use windows... MacOS Sux0rs 2!
Me: ...

maddman75

First Post
Randolpho said:
It's so much fun to watch the penguins come out to lambast Microsoft every chance they get

You don't know very much about X window do you?

It is FAR more powerful and flexible that Windows. It can be served across networks, its stable, its well supported and predates windows. And if an errant program crashes, you can shell out to the console to kill it, or restart X server without having to reboot your whole system.

News flash - OSX is a flavor of Unix. I'd like to get one myself actually. You can get Linux apps running with a little effort. And they have Office and IE so you won't miss your MS viruses :)

Windows has its place, hand holding people who have time to kill and don't want to learn. Linux I find to be educational and powerful. I don't need someone protecting me from having to *shudder* edit a text file. Give me text file configuration over that hacked mess they call the Registry.

In any case, if you're a fan of consumer electronics, you probably already have Linux :). Its really taking off in embedded systems, like DVD players and Tivos.

MS has a couple good programs. Powerpoint is great - you can have good looking presentations done quickly with virtually no learning curve. Excel isn't bad, and despite how most techies sneer at it, I actually like Access. Quick and dirty database for small applications. Not everything needs Oracle.

Word I despise - when working on windows I'll usually type it in notepad then copy to word to format. I can't stand the program trying to correct me as I type, or moving the placement of everything around when I make a change.

In closing.... some PvP:
pvp19990818.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

Funny, and to a certain extent true, though I'd add
- anyone who takes four months to figure out how to install a current version of Red Hat probably has trouble following simple directions, and won't have much better luck with windows.
- Try installing a sound card that isn't on the HCL in Win2k or XP and see how stable it is.
- There are thousands of good programs for Linux.

I honestly try not to bash Microsoft these days. Linux doesn't need to tear down its competition, it stands on its own. Its being adopted by the techies and will trickle down to everyone else eventually.

Ace

Adventurer
I would go with Win2k rather than XP. If you have to reinstall XP or wish to upgrade your hardware you can't!

The XP operating system will require that you spend your time and money calling Micro Surf and jumping through hoops.

Also if you don't have or wish to use a modem you can't install XP.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads