(OT) What if being able to fire 500,000 rounds a minute is not enough

Esiminar

Explorer
Thats creapy! CNN is way out of touch with the weapons tech industry. I first saw this weapon highlighted on a TV show here in England four or five years ago at the stage of developement shown in the news article linked to.

taliesin52

First Post
Like someone else mentioned its not a railgun. No magnets involved. Although I've seen a few testfires of prototype gauss weaponry (with its attached roomsized equipment) and it was amusing although far from practical yet. Was on discovery or A&E of all things, about a month before Gulf War 2 Electric Boogaloo.

It'll make a nice anti-air and anti-missile system but will be too impractical for much else. As mentioned, ammunition will be a problem on anything short of a ship or perhaps a new mobile unit used expressly for anti-missile other AAA duties.

Sadly, mechs won't be all that likely in the immediate future, at least nothing close to what we see in things like Battletech or anime. Physics for things that tall with legs that thin aren't pretty.

As much as I dislike CNN, I wouldn't blame them too much. Weapon systems that aren't new pretty planes or big tanks or a rifle with an entire Circut City attached to the top, they're probably not going to bother with it unless they don't have anything better in that field to mention.

Angcuru

First Post
taliesin52 said:
Sadly, mechs won't be all that likely in the immediate future, at least nothing close to what we see in things like Battletech or anime. Physics for things that tall with legs that thin aren't pretty.
Mechwarrior GOOD! Where's my Thanatos...:)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Angcuru said:
Doesn't it just warm your heart to know that we humans are always thinking of new, faster, more efficient ways to kill each other?:rolleyes:

Don't knock it too much - the arms race is where we get the basis for this wacky pastime of ours. :) Rocks, which begat sticks, which begat spears, which begat knives, swords, axes, etc. Forgive me, as I've been watching too much Conquest...

I've never understood the whole mechs with two legs thing anyone.

Real mechs should like a centaur or a crab.

Four legs good two legs baaaaddd!!!

Unless you're a set of genes trying to gain height while conserving mass and not caring a wit about the eventual back troubles for the poor creature.

There's a scene in Faster, Cheaper, and Out of Control where a guy rides around in a walking robot buggy, very very very cool.

Not at all the way most sci-fantasy-fi illustrators have imagined the whole walking robot concept.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
If there is a gun that fires a million rounds per minute, where is the Million Magic Missiles per Round spell for my wizard? (one hundred thousand missiles per round, of course.)
It's only fair.

Here ya go (Chronomancy spell converted from 2e to 3e):

Magic Manager
Transmutation
Level: Chr 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One action
Range: 0
Target: Caster
Duration: 1 round/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

One round after the spell is cast, the caster may cast additional spells on his turn as free actions. These spells must have a casting time of 1 action. Roll a spellcraft check DC 10 plus the spell to be cast's level plus the total levels of spells cast in this manner so far this round. If the check fails, the spell suceeds, but you may not cast any further spells this round. These spells still count against your number of spells per day / memorized spells, so this is an easy way to run dangerously low on spells if your not careful.

Use Time Stop with that and get like 100 int and a few items that boost spellcraft +100. Hey, I never said it would consistantly or even within realistic probability giv eyou a million magic missiles ;)

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Real mechs should like a centaur or a crab.

Four legs good two legs baaaaddd!!!

There's a scene in Faster, Cheaper, and Out of Control where a guy rides around in a walking robot buggy, very very very cool.

Not at all the way most sci-fantasy-fi illustrators have imagined the whole walking robot concept.
Here are some of the justifications I've seen that make sense to me for two legs...

If you use legs instead of treads or multiple legs, you can do a full 180 degree turn in two steps reasonably, or a 90 degree turn in one step while moving at a higher velocity. It's manueverability over stability... And in such a way that's pretty helpful. If a jet passes over your head, you can turn your full mass all the way around in seconds, whereas a tank takes slightly longer and an 8 legged creature takes a lot of motion. It might be the difference between getting a shot off before the plane is out of range.

s/LaSH

First Post
Forgive me, but... did nobody notice when I posted a link to a company building a mecha?

The outfit in question is Mecha Propulsion Systems. If they qualify for DARPA funding, I think they're fairly legit. No clue when they'll finish building the thing, but they're working at it. There are animations, tech specs and all sorts of freaky stuff on that site, and I've maintained enough of an interest in the subject to know that they're going to build a fairly capable biped (admittedly a squat biped, but so long as it's got two legs it counts as a mecha, even if its closest relative in the living world is some kind of frog-monster).

Remove ads