• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Our Civic Duty

Calico_Jack73

First Post
This is not a political thread... I just thought that this was a kinda neat video put together encouraging people to go vote no matter who you like. They ask that you send it to 5 people but I don't believe in chain letters so I figured that his was a great place to post it so several people would be able to see it.

DON'T VOTE VIDEO

Ranger REG

Explorer
That reminds me.

I have to send in my application for mail-in absentee voting ballots.

I hope I'm alive when I can just cast my ballot at home ... online.

Wombat

First Post
A very good video.

I will turn 50 near the beginning of this next year; since I turned 18, I have missed three elections, one an off-year election, the other two minor off-time elections. I keep my voting stubs on my shelf until the next election, as my write to complain about what's going on.

Folks, I don't care as much about who you vote for, but I do care that you do vote.

This country was based on people making sure their voice was going to be heard. To vote is about as patriotic as you can get. :)

True that... I voted my second time via absentee ballot as I was serving overseas in the Military. Distance and a busy life style are no excuse. And if you don't vote, you don't to complain, so what other reason do you need?

Ysgarran

If you take these messages to vote seriously (and I do) please verify that you are properly registered to vote; don't wait till the last minute.

Ysgarran.

Ranger REG

Explorer
If you take these messages to vote seriously (and I do) please verify that you are properly registered to vote; don't wait till the last minute.
In the months before the elections, I always receive a yellow card from the election office confirming my name, address, and where is my polling place.

This year, since I have moved residence, I re-registered so I can vote at the nearest polling place.

Is it safe to assume such a procedure is common in other places?

In the months before the elections, I always receive a yellow card from the election office confirming my name, address, and where is my polling place.

This year, since I have moved residence, I re-registered so I can vote at the nearest polling place.

Is it safe to assume such a procedure is common in other places?
I don't know about commonplace, but it happens here in Maryland.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I already voted.

But being Canadian, we just had our federal election this past Tuesday. And on this side of the border, you get a white card with burgundy lettering telling you where to vote and when, typically about a week after the election is declared, and 3 weeks for the election. (Yeah, our election cycle takes 30 days from when Parliament is dissolved to when the ballots are cast).

I must say though that while I do like that my country has more than 2 viable parties to choose from, it does make for muddied waters. The majority of our voters voted against the Conservative party, but due to vote splitting between the Liberals, New Democrats, Bloc Quebecois and Green party, we ended up electing more Conservative MP's than not.

Still, even with the known flaws in the implementations of most democratic systems, voting is something that strikes me as being worth doing.

END COMMUNICATION

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I already voted.

But being Canadian, we just had our federal election this past Tuesday. And on this side of the border, you get a white card with burgundy lettering telling you where to vote and when, typically about a week after the election is declared, and 3 weeks for the election. (Yeah, our election cycle takes 30 days from when Parliament is dissolved to when the ballots are cast).

I must say though that while I do like that my country has more than 2 viable parties to choose from, it does make for muddied waters. The majority of our voters voted against the Conservative party, but due to vote splitting between the Liberals, New Democrats, Bloc Quebecois and Green party, we ended up electing more Conservative MP's than not.

Still, even with the known flaws in the implementations of most democratic systems, voting is something that strikes me as being worth doing.

END COMMUNICATION

I envy Canadians because at least you have options. Sure there are so many of them that things are diluted, but at least that better then the options Americans have because of how our system is set up (both on a federal and state level).

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
I must say though that while I do like that my country has more than 2 viable parties to choose from, it does make for muddied waters.
We do have more than two political parties, but the Democrats and Republicans (used to be one Democrat-Republican party) are the big ones here.

Remove ads