D&D 5E [Out of the Abyss]Magic item distribution?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
How does OotA stack up compared to the DMG magic item treasure distribution guidelines?

I am aware the sandbox nature of the adventure means any given party might miss out on some of the loot, but still.

I'm interested in general statistics; Things that give me an idea of how much, if anything, I need to add myself to get to the level of loot I want.

I don't think there are any treasure guidelines. Just random tables baby! So give out as much (or little) treasure as you think fit, as the dice tell you to, or a mixture of both.

zingbobco000

Explorer
I don't think there are any treasure guidelines. Just random tables baby! So give out as much (or little) treasure as you think fit, as the dice tell you to, or a mixture of both.

Well... There are treasure guidelines in the DMG, which is why they're asking whether or nor the adventure holds up to these standards as they want to use the system described in the DMG to make sure that the magic level is balanced. My tier 2 review should be coming out soon, these things are hard to write up, so much comparing and analyzing (it's more then you think and I have very little time).

I started skimming the book for this but grew bored and quickly found more interesting things to occupy my time. The lack of searchable PDFs strikes again!

zingbobco000

Explorer
Well, ok, it appears like according to some stats back on the WotC forums the average in 7 treasure parcels for levels 1-4 is:
6 items from Table A, 3 items from Table B, 2 items from Table C, and 2 items from Table F.
In comparison

What's given in OotA chp. 1-4Suggested in the DMG
Table A96
Table B103
Table C12
Table D10
Table E00
Table F21
Table G30

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
2nd Level/Into Darkness:
2 Potion of Greater Healing (Table B)
+1 Dagger (Table F)
Oil of Slipperiness (Table B)
Sun Blade (Dawnbringer) (Table G)
Necklace of Fireballs (Table C)
Philter of Love (Table B)

Well, ok, it appears like according to some stats back on the WotC forums the average in 7 treasure parcels for levels 1-4 is:

This is a fundamental mistake in your analysis.

The adventure is set up as a sandbox, not as a linear path. There are 4 encounters in the 2nd chapter that are to be used between the 3rd and 7th chapters.

The random encounters as well are used as the party travels from place to place.

The 2nd chapter does not equal 2nd level.

Aurick

First Post
This is a fundamental mistake in your analysis.

The adventure is set up as a sandbox, not as a linear path. There are 4 encounters in the 2nd chapter that are to be used between the 3rd and 7th chapters.

The random encounters as well are used as the party travels from place to place.

The 2nd chapter does not equal 2nd level.

Correct! The book even distinctly states that the set encounters in the back of chapter 2 aren't supposed to be used until after chapter 3 has been completed.

I mean... I guess you can try to let your characters run threw the Sunblade encounter at level 3-4 or whatever, but they're unlikely to survive it. It's a later game encounter.

CapnZapp

Legend
Why focus on the so-called "mistake". To make informed decisions, we begin by enumerating all the loot the module offers.

The fact some of it won't be found, some opponents will be treated as allies (and thus won't be looted) and that some of it will not even be in any given play-through, does not change this, and does not make collecting it a "mistake".

Remove ads