"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book III: Fanning the Embers

Dr. NRG

First Post
nemmerle said:
Hey in celebration of hitting 10,000 views let's do another lurker/reader role call. . .

Feel free to pimp your own story hour (if you have one) while you are at it, and let's see. . . favorite moment from the Pit of Bones (let's say from when they leave the giants to the last entry).

I know what mine is. . .

Heya, new reader here. You picked me up with the story hour sampler thingie you did recently. What a great idea! Without an intro like that, picking a 20-page story hour can be pretty intimidating.

As for a favorite moment, I really liked the 3-way confrontation between the Gunthar party, the skrag, and the FMK. There were some interesting inter-group dynamics there, and in the following scenes.

NRG

handforged

First Post
I'm still here, Nemm, just less time online, so less replies. Still love the story. Favorite part, was when Kazrack finally got the dog to leave him alone. I was so relieved.

~hf

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Doh, I am shamed. if it were a snake it would have bit me. You mean this time at the pit of bones(Not when the paladin came here by himself the first time), and I have to say the encounter with the Scrag is my favorite as well.

GW

Manzanita

First Post
I'm chewing on that 'favorite part' thing. What was the 'scrag'? Is that the Dragon Disciple? (Is that what he is?) Or do you mean the troll barbarian?

I think 3 way battle somewhat understates it, either way, since the gnomes are something of a 4th force, not completely aligned with the FMK.

I do think that has been my favorite part. Nemmerle constantly inspires me to be a better DM. His bold inclusion of numerous NPCs with cross-purposes and distinct personalities really has enhanced the game. It would be tough to run a sesson, or a battle with so many NPCs.

I liked the underwater passage. I liked how Kazrack got to be important, too. A dwarven cleric fulfilling a long-awaited role. Could the party even have succeeded here without him? Did you customize the encounter somewhat, knowing you'd have a dwarven cleric in the crew? Or are you going to tell me you already had this mapped out years earlier before you know who your PCs were?

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
the doctor said:
Heya, new reader here. You picked me up with the story hour sampler thingie you did recently. What a great idea! Without an intro like that, picking a 20-page story hour can be pretty intimidating.

Welcome aboard, Doc!

Glad yer enjoying. . .

So did you start from the very beginning of Book I, or did you just start with this "Necropolis of Doom" thread?

manzanita said:
What was the 'scrag'? Is that the Dragon Disciple? (Is that what he is?) Or do you mean the troll barbarian?

A scrag is an aquatic troll - that is what the troll barbarian was.

manzanita said:
I do think that has been my favorite part. Nemmerle constantly inspires me to be a better DM. His bold inclusion of numerous NPCs with cross-purposes and distinct personalities really has enhanced the game. It would be tough to run a sesson, or a battle with so many NPCs.

It can be tough to do, but over the years I have come up with a number of tricks for handling this kind of thing, and making sure it does not bog the game down.

manzanita said:
Could the party even have succeeded here without him? Did you customize the encounter somewhat, knowing you'd have a dwarven cleric in the crew? Or are you going to tell me you already had this mapped out years earlier before you know who your PCs were?

It would have been nigh impossible to figure it out without a dwarven priest there - but as usual I had back up plans for how the party might find out where the Maze was - but in typical nemmerlesque style, the other methods might have been more difficult and/or distasteful. :)

As for how long it was planned out. . . I knew about the Pit of Bones and had prepared it for nearly a year before it was played - If Kazrack had not been around - I don't know how I would have handled it. . . But the map-room was definitely created with him in mind. . . I always try to give each PC a chance to shine and do their thing as a campaign goes on (though sometimes it feels like the effort to do that is unappreciated).

A good example of this was the tasks for Osiris. Kazrack had to forge something (a way for him to get to use all the skill points he dumped into craft), Ratchis had to hunt something down (mister ranger gets to do this thing), Jana was going to get a chance to learn a bunch of new spells from a "good" source, but with the responsibilties that come with that (thus allowing her the opportunity to fulfill the "arc" of her character we had discussed at the beginning) and Martin (whose player never gave me a background. . . .grrrrrr!) got a chance to deal with a powerful and ancient enemy of his order. . .

Dr. NRG

First Post
nemmerle said:
Welcome aboard, Doc!

Glad yer enjoying. . .

So did you start from the very beginning of Book I, or did you just start with this "Necropolis of Doom" thread?

I've just read the Necropolis of Doom so far, but may find myself inspired to go back and read the others as well.

NRG

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Dr. NRG said:
I've just read the Necropolis of Doom so far, but may find myself inspired to go back and read the others as well.

NRG

If interested, I am doing a reprise of the entire in installments I put up three times a week here.

The Prelude (what is called "Book I" here) is almost done (one more installment to go) and then I will be starting on the next part.

Ciaran

First Post
nemmerle said:
and Martin (whose player never gave me a background. . . .grrrrrr!) got a chance to deal with a powerful and ancient enemy of his order. . .
Eh? I'm sure I gave you a background write-up...

Dawn

First Post
It has taken me a while, but I'm back. Glad to see you're posting the original work somewhere because I have a lot to catch up on!
Keep it coming!

Remove ads