"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book III: Fanning the Embers

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Manzanita said:
nice to see a pure fight once in a while. That was a tough one. What level is the team at this point?

Last time the party faced quaggoths they were 3rd/4th.

This time they were 7th/8th.

Jon Potter

First Post
Well, nemmerle, I think you have my vote for favorite post in recent memory. Truly a great battle scene; one that I could easily picture while reading it. It's good to see that Gunthar's good for something other than being an ass. He's good at kicking some too! He seemed to do more to turn the battle than anyone else.

But my favorite quote from this one is this: “Dark skinned betrayers from under the hill, you will die tonight!” It manages to conjure up the old familiar underdark ideal of the dark elf and the image of unseelie fae at the same time.

I don't comment here nearly often enough. But "Out of the Frying Pan" was one of the first story hours I read (if not the first - I can never remember which came first, yours of drnuncheon's) and it's still one of my very favorites.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oh, and I also wanted to comment that for people that complain about how short 3E combats are - this was an 18 round fight with no particular strange environmental conditions, which just about average for us, I think.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Jon Potter said:
I don't comment here nearly often enough. But "Out of the Frying Pan" was one of the first story hours I read (if not the first - I can never remember which came first, yours of drnuncheon's) and it's still one of my very favorites.

I'm glad you like it, Jon.

The campaign takes a pretty major turn for the next dozen sessions or so, only because the first time the party leaves the area of Gothanius to do things they want (and feel they need) to do - so for the first time since Book I: Gathering Wood, you will get to seem them traveling through some pretty major wilderness - and seeing some of what the rest of Derome-Delem is like.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hey all!

Just a heads up: I posted an overview of the cast of characters from the "Out of the Frying Pan" story hour in the Portal Thread. . .

You can view it directly here.

Let me know if there are any errors or omissions that you catch, or if there are any questions.

It is up to date through the most recently posted installment, but does not include PCs, only NPCs.

Manzanita

First Post
I'll be curious to meet the new PCs. I assume you were able to recruit a couple after loosing those two players.

The NPC index is cool. I knew you were keeping track of all of them...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hey! Just for all of you keeping score at home. . . I have been diligently working on the next installment and hope to have it up this weekend some time.

But how about a sneak preview of some of the things to come in the next few sessions:

Bridges, Barbarians, Bears and being lost in the Bowels* of the Earth!

* and when I say "bowels" I mean, "bowels". ;)

Manzanita

First Post
this reminds me of a spoiler a read awhile back about (dare I say it?)
Beorth being dumped in a pit full of sh*t....
Looking forward to it, in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hey Manz,

I used my super-nifty mod powers to wrap spoiler tags around your spoiler. . . .

Now it can only be read by those who dare highlight. . . ;)

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
Hi people!
Hello Mr Nem.

I just read the new update and it was great!

(2) DM’s Note: This cinematic piece brought to you by the “Dirty-Fighting” Feat.

Sorry to bother you ,but i would like to know what exactly “Dirty-Fighting” Feat does.
Although reading this again and again,i can't understand how it works.

(7) DM’s Note: This was the last session that Helene (Jana, Derek, Anarié) was able to play in the group as she had to return to France because her visa had expired. Coincidentally, it was also the session Ken ever played in as well. We miss them both.

Sorry to hear that.It always sucks when friends leave,and your party is smaller now.
-have you bring new players around?

Anyway,keep up the good work and give us something new asap.
Bye

Remove ads