• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Painting art

frankthedm

First Post
If you wanted your character to be able to paint art, would this be more of a preform skill, craft skill, or profession skill?
If you are asking in Painting uses Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, I'd say any could be used, but they make different results.

Intelligence Solid technique, but sometimes bland and formulaic. Great for accuracy and realism.
Wisdom Blends technique with creativity. The majority of what might be considered "art" use Wisdom.
Charisma Unbridled creativity. Employing hitherto untried methods, these artists bring thier Dream Landscapes and Nightmare Realms to life in paint. Those who are successful found bizzare art styles by pouring their souls onto the canvas or whatever medium strikes their fancy.

Farganger

First Post
Craft (painting). It's mentioned in the SRD in at least one place: Marvelous Pigments require a DC 15 Craft (painting) check to depict an object.

irdeggman

First Post
If you are making objects of art - craft (painting) is the one to do.

If you are painting as a profession with no specific objects being created then profession (painter) is appropriate.

Think of the difference between a house painter and and someone creating a portrait or something to be hung in a gallery.

IMO it would never be an appropriate perform skill.

Farganger

First Post

If you are painting as a profession with no specific objects being created then profession (painter) is appropriate.

Think of the difference between a house painter and and someone creating a portrait or something to be hung in a gallery.

I partly agree, but not with your specific example. Since "painting" and "sculpting" (the latter mentioned at least in the golem creation rules in the SRD) are both RAR examples of crafts, I'd assume a craftsmen can be a practitioner of the fine arts, like your portraitist or gallery artist, and needn't be a house painter or producer of garden gnomes.

A very high level expert with craft (painting) or craft (sculpting) nicely reflects a fantasy world's Raphael or Michaelangelo. Whether any profession (painter) or (sculptor) might be beneficial to income production is an open issue, but I don't think by the rules you'd want to represent a superlative representational artist without heaps of craft skill . . . to produce his or her "masterworks."

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer

IMO it would never be an appropriate perform skill.
How about those guys who'll draw you as a cartoon character on the spot? ;)

(Really, I think I agree with you -- not perform.)

irdeggman

First Post
How about those guys who'll draw you as a cartoon character on the spot? ;)

(Really, I think I agree with you -- not perform.)

Craft skill since each item is an object - only very low profit items.

From the PHB (this should help put things into some perspective):

A Craft skill is specifically focused on creating something. If nothing is created by the endeavor, it probably falls under the heading of a Profession skill (page 80).

While a Craft skill represents ability in creating or making an item, a Profession skill represents an aptitude in a vocation requiring a broader range of less specific knowledge. To draw a modern analogy, if an occupation is a service industry, it’s probably a Profession skill. If it’s in the manufacturing sector, it’s probably a Craft skill

Remove ads