Paizo Announced Lovecraftian STRANGE AEONS Adventure Path

Today at Gen Con, Paizo announced the adventure path slated for August 2016. Called Strange Aeons, it focuses on elder gods. Player characters suffer from amnesia, insanity will feature as a mechanic, and the author of the Necronomicon will be an NPC.

Today at Gen Con, Paizo announced the adventure path slated for August 2016. Called Strange Aeons, it focuses on elder gods. Player characters suffer from amnesia, insanity will feature as a mechanic, and the author of the Necronomicon will be an NPC.

Whilst set in Golarion, this continues Paizo's exploration off the beaten track of fantasy RPGs. In the past, they've featured Rasputin, WWI, spaceships, and technology, and will be preceding Strange Aeons with the Hells' Rebels adventure path. However, the emphasize that this is not Call of Cthulhu, and that defeating monsters is the focus, not investigation.

The first adventure will be written by Wes Schneider.

Info and photo courtesy of Know Direction, which will be posting a full recording of the panel soon. Keep an eye on their page for it!

wpid-wp-1438359932530.jpg

Henry

Autoexreginated
<sigh> Sold....

Daddy has to keep explaining to the kids why there's no college fund... :)

and will be preceding Strange Aeons with the Hells' Rebels adventure path.

...Hell's Rebels, AND Hell's Vengeance. StrangeAeons sounds like it will be the 2nd half of 2016 Adventure Path. And withWes writing it, dare I say it starts in Ustalav? Perhaps...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
...Hell's Rebels, AND Hell's Vengeance. StrangeAeons sounds like it will be the 2nd half of 2016 Adventure Path. And withWes writing it, dare I say it starts in Ustalav? Perhaps...
Yes, it's for the second half of 2016. It should begin next August.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I am torn. I just wrapped up an 87 session Kingmaker campaign, and feel burned out on Pathfinder and adventure paths. But, among the changes I made to Kingmaker was introducing more Lovecraftian elements, so this interested me. I will have a close look and maybe the spark has returned in a year.

Barachiel

First Post
I thought they already had one that involved Lovecraftian theme? Wasn't it "The Shattered Star"?

And...does this mean we'll actually see Paizo use their ultimately awesome, yet completely underrated, Aeons!?

They also announced the next hardcover: Horror Adventures.
http://knowdirectionpodcast.com/2015/08/horror-adventures-new-hardcover-announced/

Advice for running horror themed Adventures in Pathfinder.
Madness rules will be Included.
Lovecraftian horror Included.
Major character system: Corruption.
System by which you can slowly descend into a new form. Vampires hinted at after the biting.
Embracing the corruption gives you abilities for your character, such as becoming more charming… But a drawback is tied to it. Such as aversion to sunlight.
Lovecraftian, werewolves, insanity, possession mentioned as possibilities.
Touches of playing monsters, but focusing on the RP possibilities and the slow turning and resisting or embracing that.

Yikes! I kinda want that as well. Oh man, I might have to run an Occult Adventures/ Horror Adventures game in a year.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I thought they already had one that involved Lovecraftian theme? Wasn't it "The Shattered Star"?

And...does this mean we'll actually see Paizo use their ultimately awesome, yet completely underrated, Aeons!?

The horror one had a Lovecraftian adventure, but not the whole adventure path. The Shattered Star is pretty much straight dungeon crawl for the MacGuffin; nothing horror about it at all.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Kind of cool, but somehow Pathfinder is going down a path I'm not all that comfortable with. Guess this will be the second AP I'll not place on Golarion if I happen to come across it.

Remove ads

Remove ads