Paizo Announced Lovecraftian STRANGE AEONS Adventure Path

Today at Gen Con, Paizo announced the adventure path slated for August 2016. Called Strange Aeons, it focuses on elder gods. Player characters suffer from amnesia, insanity will feature as a mechanic, and the author of the Necronomicon will be an NPC.

Today at Gen Con, Paizo announced the adventure path slated for August 2016. Called Strange Aeons, it focuses on elder gods. Player characters suffer from amnesia, insanity will feature as a mechanic, and the author of the Necronomicon will be an NPC.

Whilst set in Golarion, this continues Paizo's exploration off the beaten track of fantasy RPGs. In the past, they've featured Rasputin, WWI, spaceships, and technology, and will be preceding Strange Aeons with the Hells' Rebels adventure path. However, the emphasize that this is not Call of Cthulhu, and that defeating monsters is the focus, not investigation.

The first adventure will be written by Wes Schneider.

Info and photo courtesy of Know Direction, which will be posting a full recording of the panel soon. Keep an eye on their page for it!

wpid-wp-1438359932530.jpg

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Kind of cool, but somehow Pathfinder is going down a path I'm not all that comfortable with. Guess this will be the second AP I'll not place on Golarion if I happen to come across it.

I've stopped buying the APs a couple times, not being a fan of pirates and not interested in the Mythic rules. But while I liked the ideas behind Shattered Star, Mummy's Mask and Giantslayer, I think it's good that they mix up their traditional APs with stuff that's a little more out there.

Zil

Explorer
Of the various announcements that have come out of GenCon, this is the one that excites me the most. I'm really looking forward to seeing this Adventure Path a year from now.

Kind of cool, but somehow Pathfinder is going down a path I'm not all that comfortable with. Guess this will be the second AP I'll not place on Golarion if I happen to come across it.

I tend to like the Adventure Paths that push the boundaries a little bit, but I can understand where you are coming from. I am still trying to sell my players on going with Iron Gods for our next Adventure Path, but I'm not going to force it on them if they they aren't comfortable with it.

Starfox

Hero
We already have some great Cthulhu campaigns, but yes, it will be nice to see Paizo's take on it. Not super-exited tough.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Hey there, all! Good to see so many folks are eager to see what we do with the Strange Aeons adventure path! It's certainly one that I've been eager to get us doing for some time now.

(But no... there won't be any aeons in this AP. The name of this AP is very much a nod to one of Lovecraft's most famous quotes and has nothing to do with weird neutral outsiders... in fact, it's very focused on entirely Material Plane threats.)

Remove ads

Remove ads