Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Sammael

Adventurer
MrFilthyIke said:
Hoist one tonight with Hellhound, diaglo, and myself. :(
After careful consideration, I am going to join in. Just one glass, to be drank slowly and thoughtfully, while reminiscing of the past.

Erekose13

Explorer
the FAQ has great info on the Pathfinder series already.

FAQ said:
What artists and authors will be working on Rise of the Runelords?
Paizo has slated some of our most popular and devious designers to bring the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path to life, including James Jacobs, Wolfgang Baur, Nicolas Logue, Richard Pett, Greg Vaughan, and Steve Greer. Wayne Reynolds will provide covers for the entire Adventure Path and will be designing 11 new Paizo “iconic” characters who will appear in illustrations and as pregenerated characters in our GameMastery Modules line.

JoshuaFrost

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Oh my god! I didn't think I'd ever hear something like that from the mouth of a n advertising and marketing director!

I may sell ads and market stuff for a living, but I'm still a gamer. :)

Vanuslux

Explorer
Firebeetle said:
This is some sort of heinous tragedy! Can the end of the world be far behind?

I let my subscription lapse when I started working 15 hours days to get us out of debt. I really feel responsible now. I had been saving to re-up in June.

This bites! Dragon and Dungeon were looking better than they ever had before. I guess if they do that good of a job and they still won't sell, then it is a lost cause. However, I will mourn their loss.

:( :( :( :(

As far as I know, Dungeon and Dragon are selling just fine...Paizo seems to have risen pretty high on their success. Wizards pulled the plug on Paizo's rights to publish the mag, it seems to me, specifically to create a void for their new electronic content service to fill.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
sckeener said:
so no wotc intellectual property critters then...

Yeah, that concerns me a bit too. No adventures with mind flayers, beholders, or kuo-toa? No monsters from the Fiend Folio or Monster Manuals 2-4?

One of the cool things about licensing from WotC is that Dungeon could put out some adventures with some features from the latest WotC product, include the necessary rules in a sidebar, and still leave the reader interested in searching the new books out for more.

I presume, being OGL-oriented, that won't be possible. That will be too bad. I did enjoy seeing the little bits of new material worked into the Dungeon adventures.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Umbran said:
Yes, yes it can. I can't remember a single change made by WotC that has not been met with some measure of doubt, uncertainty, anger, and doomsaying. However, the world eventually recovers, and moves on.
But this time its different. This time the world really will end. Me, I'm keeping my tinfoil hat on until the danger has passed.

JoshuaFrost

First Post
helium3 said:
How's Paizo handling who's contributing material to this new publication? Is it basically just going to be the current stable of Dungeon writers?

From the FAQ:

How can I submit material for publication in Pathfinder?

Pathfinder is going to need monsters, and lots of them, and they're the easiest way to break in to this exciting new publication. If we like your monster, we'll print it in an upcoming Pathfinder Bestiary; it may even end up with a role in that volume's adventure! We're currently discussing other ways to open up Pathfinder so that we'll have room for fan-submitted articles and content; stay tuned to paizo.com/Pathfinder for details and submission guidelines as they become available.

Erekose13

Explorer
billd91 said:
Yeah, that concerns me a bit too. No adventures with mind flayers, beholders, or kuo-toa? No monsters from the Fiend Folio or Monster Manuals 2-4?

One of the cool things about licensing from WotC is that Dungeon could put out some adventures with some features from the latest WotC product, include the necessary rules in a sidebar, and still leave the reader interested in searching the new books out for more.

I presume, being OGL-oriented, that won't be possible. That will be too bad. I did enjoy seeing the little bits of new material worked into the Dungeon adventures.

No more WotC stuff in the adventures is something i'll miss too. Hopefully they'll be taking advantage of a lot of OGC stuff from other great publishers out there to keep things fresh in addition to their new content.

IanB

First Post
der_kluge said:
6 new monsters in every book? Thank GOD! That's exactly what I needed - more monsters. I just hope they continue the grand tradition of throwing countless classes, PrCs spells, and other useless crunchy bits my way. Because god knows, I can't get enough of them.

/sarcasm

It isn't like they have a lot of choice with the loss of all the non-SRD WotC creatures for their adventure content.

Arnwyn

First Post
Un. :):):):)ing. Believable. I've got that "punched in the gut" feeling. Dungeon (and less so, Dragon) are the only things coming out for gaming that I look forward to these days.

Thanks a lot, WotC. Screw you. 1) Dump both Dungeon and Dragon, for 2) some sort of crap electronic "product"? Holy hell, I don't think so. PDF/electronic "products" suck.

[/melodrama] ;)

Remove ads