Pathfinder 1E Paizo Partners with Reaper to Produce Pathfinder Miniatures

carmachu

Explorer
I think that ultimately this would work out best due to the fact that the portion of hobbyists who are also into modeling and painting minis is so small.

Its not nearly as small as you think. You dont necessarily have to be into modleing and painting to want good minis. There are several reputable painting companies out there.

PPM cant and dont hold a candle to metal or plastic unpainted ones.

Storminator

First Post
So aside from iconics, what is unique to Pathfinder in terms of sculpts? As compared to the kind of D&D minis Reaper has been producing for years?

PS

Mikaze

First Post
So aside from iconics, what is unique to Pathfinder in terms of sculpts? As compared to the kind of D&D minis Reaper has been producing for years?

PS

Hellknights, fully armored guys who could almost pass for infernal Gunmen from Gurren Lagann.
Freaky freaky gnomes.
Lots of specific cultural stuff(I really want some Osirani and Vudrani minis)
Red Mantis Assassins, Kamen-Rider lookin' badasses who punch velociraptors for fun back home in their island nation.
Numerian Tech-priests(one can dream...)
Freaky freaky lamia subraces.
Freaky freaky Lamashtan cultists of the human and gnollish variety.
Mariliths who are metal as @#$%
Bloatmages
Hopefully some bloodline-specific sorcerers
Also hopefully a new batch of action-archaeologists to represent the Pathfinder Society
Roy Khan!
Some fully clothed and practically dressed heroines.
Fleshwarp creatures, subjects of drow body modification magic
Sexy ghouls(or so I heard....)
Some whimsical and downright horrifying fey
Zon-Kuthonite cultists who escalate in fetishistic creepiness until the reach Pyramid Head and Cenobite levels of just plain wrong.
Akatas.
The best evil goblins ever

And if they want to court controversy for free publicity, there's always that one servant of Calistria's.

Which would likely be banned in all 50 states.

Personally it's the culture specific stuff I'd like, stuff that is hard to find a good variety of. Mwangi(African) paladins, Osiriani(egyptian) khopeshmen, Vudrani(Indian) monks, etc.

Last edited:

Grymar

Explorer
I may have to figure out how to force my untalented hands to paint figs. I haven't tried since I was 12 and that was a total failure! But on the upside, my patience, eyesight, and dexterity have all gotten worse since then, so I'm sure it'll go fine. :)

I may have to figure out how to force my untalented hands to paint figs. I haven't tried since I was 12 and that was a total failure! But on the upside, my patience, eyesight, and dexterity have all gotten worse since then, so I'm sure it'll go fine. :)

It's not as hard to paint decent tabletop quality figures as some people think it is. Truly awesome paintjobs take quite a bit of practice and skill. In most cases a display quality paintjob is wasted on playing pieces that will have grubby hands all over them. With a bit of practice, most people could do paintjobs that would easily outshine those on the prepainted plastics in a suprisingly short time.

Twowolves

Explorer
My misgivings are just because those miniatures are very, very good. And Reaper's versions, with their wide array of sculptors of varying levels of talent, are still an unknown quantity.

I am having a hard time grasping the concept of a bad Reaper mini sculpt. Really, I am. They have some of the best sculpts ever, and they are better all the time. I can honestly say I can't recall seeing any real duds from them, especially in the past 5+ years. I have seen all of the Crocodile "previously official Pathfinder" minis and none of them look better than anything I've seen Reaper do. Quite the reverse, in fact.

alleynbard

First Post
It's not as hard to paint decent tabletop quality figures as some people think it is. Truly awesome paintjobs take quite a bit of practice and skill. In most cases a display quality paintjob is wasted on playing pieces that will have grubby hands all over them. With a bit of practice, most people could do paintjobs that would easily outshine those on the prepainted plastics in a suprisingly short time.

I agree. In fact, I have the easiest thing to do is to paint down the base colors (after priming of course) and then give it a dip in Quick Shade by Army Painter (The Army Painter). Gives you shadows and a glossy protective coat. If you do not like the gloss, simply spray it down with matte sealer and you get a nice matte mini with all the shadows you need.

This system works great for the table and it also works wonderfully if you are trying to paint a large number of minis for miniature wargames. My warmachine minis benefited from this product immensely.

If you take a look at the gallery you can get some ideas on technique.

sjmiller

Explorer
I would love to paint all the minis I own, but I am allergic to pretty much all paints except watercolors and tempra. Oh well, I still like getting minis.

I would love to paint all the minis I own, but I am allergic to pretty much all paints except watercolors and tempra. Oh well, I still like getting minis.

The vast majority of mini paints on the market are water based. I don't personally know any painters that use oil based paints for thier minis. Reaper's paints are non-toxic also, for the continued health and long life of brushlickers everywhere.:D

Xyxox

Hero
The vast majority of mini paints on the market are water based. I don't personally know any painters that use oil based paints for thier minis. Reaper's paints are non-toxic also, for the continued health and long life of brushlickers everywhere.:D

There are a few techniques that require oil based paints, but those techniques are extremely advanced and few mini painters use them.

Remove ads