Pathfinder 1E Paizo Partners with Reaper to Produce Pathfinder Miniatures

There are a few techniques that require oil based paints, but those techniques are extremely advanced and few mini painters use them.

Advanced? Please share. I used my testors car model paints on my first minis (shudder) and to be kind the paintjobs couldn't compare to the worst of the pre-paints. :eek:

Xyxox

Hero
Advanced? Please share. I used my testors car model paints on my first minis (shudder) and to be kind the paintjobs couldn't compare to the worst of the pre-paints. :eek:

First, the oil paints used are Artist oils. Some of the techniques use oil paint thinner and the artis oils similar to how washes and inks are used, but with astounding results incomparable to standard wash and inking techniques.

I've also seen oils used to produce five o'clock shadows on minis that are simply unbelievable.

There are multiple sources for how to accomplish these techniques such as Coolminiornot's The Ultimate Miniature Painting Guide or Forgeworld's Imperial Armour Model Masterclass Volume One. There are also videos available that will might teach the artist's oil techniques, though I have no direct experience with those.

sjmiller

Explorer
I would love to paint all the minis I own, but I am allergic to pretty much all paints except watercolors and tempra. Oh well, I still like getting minis.
The vast majority of mini paints on the market are water based. I don't personally know any painters that use oil based paints for thier minis. Reaper's paints are non-toxic also, for the continued health and long life of brushlickers everywhere.:D
The problem is, most paints out there, including Reaper (I tried them last year) use volatile organic compounds (VOCs) as emulsifiers and/or liquefying agents (or sometimes as pigments). Those are the things that I have a reaction to. You know that "paint smell" you get when you open paints? Well, imagine that clogging your sinuses and constricting your airways and you get my reaction to those paints. I keep trying, in hopes that the reaction will lessen over the years, but not so far.

Nikmal

First Post
If they do a line of PPM for Pathfinder, I would expect them to release unpainted pewter versions first, then follow up a few months later with the PPM versions.

I think that ultimately this would work out best due to the fact that the portion of hobbyists who are also into modeling and painting minis is so small.

Actually the market for unpainted miniatures is extremely large compared to the ones purchasing pre-painted miniatures. There is the war gamers faction of gamers such as Warhammer fantasy Warhammer 40k. These games are huge then there is confrontation and such too. These are large markets and it is about money too. The modeling industry that Reaper is part of sells mostly metal unpainted miniatures and their lines of paints are a major market and one would know this just by dropping by their forums :)

Being part of the ones that love to paint and model miniatures it is an amazing one that I do so love!!

bento

Explorer
Minis coming out next week - PREVIEW!

I stopped by the Reaper factory this morning and during my conversation with their fine and friendly staff they said the new Pathfinder minis were coming out next week. Then they asked me if I wanted to buy some now?

You bet!

I posted photos of the two minis I picked up, Harsk the dwarf ranger and Amiri the female human barbarian, in the Pictures section of ENWorld.

Other minis coming out next week include a band of goblins, an ogre, Ezren the wizard, Valeros the fighter, and Arael a male elf cleric.

I suggested they get cracking on some of the characters in Curse of the Crimson Throne, the AP my group was going through before our recent haitus. Nothing gets the GM juices flowing like painting ultra-cool minis of characters/monsters your players will face!

Remove ads