Pathfinder 1E Paizo Partners with Reaper to Produce Pathfinder Miniatures

carmachu

Explorer
Looks like it's now Reaper, not Crocodile.

Reaper does some PPM, so who knows where this will go.

Speaking as someone who bought a bunch of pathfinder minis and such, crocodile was not getting it done. Slow to get them out, and couldnt keep stuff in stock. Everything always seemed backordered.....

Xyxox

Hero
Speaking as someone who bought a bunch of pathfinder minis and such, crocodile was not getting it done. Slow to get them out, and couldnt keep stuff in stock. Everything always seemed backordered.....

If they do a line of PPM for Pathfinder, I would expect them to release unpainted pewter versions first, then follow up a few months later with the PPM versions.

I think that ultimately this would work out best due to the fact that the portion of hobbyists who are also into modeling and painting minis is so small.

Here's a repost of what I said on the Paizo boards.

I was excited about this news as soon as I read the opening line in my e-mail. While I think that Crocodile Games have done a great job with the Pathfinder minis, they just couldn't seem to keep up with the rate of production required.

Great job Paizo (and Reaper). I look forward to seeing what you produce. Whatever you make I am at least sure that they will be top quality. Now all I have to do is try and get through the 30-50 unpainted Reaper minis I currently have sitting in my spare room.

As for those of you that want plastic prepainted minis, I may be proved wrong, but I think you'll be out of luck. From what I know, plastic molds are a lot more costly to produce than metal molds. The material cost to make an individual plastic mini is cheaper than the cost to make an individual metal mini though.

So for minis that you expect to sell a lot of, you are better off producing them in plastic. If you won't sell a lot of them (I'm not sure what is classed as "a lot") then metal is the way to go. And while I don't know how many "a lot" is, I doubt that there is a big enough market out there for Paizo minis for prepainted plastic minis to be financially viable.

Olaf the Stout

As I said elsewhere, I don't have the skill (or desire) to paint minis, so unless they are prepainted, no interest here.

Personally, a high quality metal mini (unpainted) looks much better than the rubbery plastic painted minis. And I can always dream I'll find the time to paint them.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
This is awesome news!:D

Gives me the same vibe as when TSR and Ral Partha were teamed up.

This could be very promising.

frankthedm

First Post
i am not surprised. IIRC WAR even sneaked in reaper minis into his art for Paizo Dungeon at least a few times. These statues look remarkably similar to their reaper mini equivalents

Originally Posted by Cadfan
So color me a little confused? They're no longer using Crocodile?
i'm glad, the $8 price point was a bit much IMHO.

Indeed I hope the pathfinder minis use the P-65 lead alloy to keep the prices reasonable.

Last edited:

carmachu

Explorer
If they do a line of PPM for Pathfinder, I would expect them to release unpainted pewter versions first, then follow up a few months later with the PPM versions.

I think that ultimately this would work out best due to the fact that the portion of hobbyists who are also into modeling and painting minis is so small.

I dont care for PPM. I have a ton of reaper and most of the pathfinder line(as well as all the Ptolus line), and frankly PPM really dont hold a candle to metal minis.

I'm running under the assumption that reapers doing metal minis, unpainted.

Cadfan

First Post
i am not surprised. IIRC WAR even sneaked in reaper minis into his art for Paizo Dungeon at least a few times. These statues look remarkably similar to their reaper mini equivalents

i'm glad, the $8 price point was a bit much IMHO.

Indeed I hope the pathfinder minis use the P-65 lead alloy to keep the prices reasonable.
Eight bucks is actually below industry standard for single blister miniatures from a boutique product line. But I do get your point, Reaper is even further below industry standard in terms of price, and does still have some phenomenal sculptors on staff.

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderMiniatures/v5748btpy85kj&source=top

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderMiniatures/v5748btpy85kh

paizo.com - Pathfinder: Goblin Pyros (4)http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/CDG/CDGP-02_500.jpeg

My misgivings are just because those miniatures are very, very good. And Reaper's versions, with their wide array of sculptors of varying levels of talent, are still an unknown quantity.

Remove ads